Libertyville, IL

Fantastic "Old Style" Course

5+    4/18/2015   10/9/2015
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 11/6/2015
Pros: In the beginning, I started playing the basket course at West Park in 1979. I had always been taught that it was the oldest course in IL, still in the ground. The PDGA course directory lists THIS course as dating to 1981. There was another course on the North Side that was in the ground before West Park and this course, but sadly no longer exists (Wilmette). My Grandmaster aged brain seems to remember this course going from 9 holes to 18 and back to 9 again, and either this course or the other old North Side 9 holer originally had cone baskets. Doesn't change the fact that this is a fantastic 9 hole course.

A nice mix of open, wooded, and hilly holes, and a look at the river. Though not overly long, there is enough challenge to satisfy most.

The course is very scenic, and has a good vibe to it. Very fun to play.

Well maintained.

Cons: Well, they could put some new baskets in, I guess.
Other Thoughts: This historic course has stood the test of time, and came out very well! Play it!

Great 9 Hole Course!

1    8/1/2015   8/1/2015
Review By: Lasttruwarrior
Pros: Nice course layouts
Awesome use of trees placements and tree lines
Good beginner course
Great signage

Cons: Old baskets
Only one longer hole (7) which might be a put off for those that love to bomb
Mosquitos we're buying until we used bug spray
Other Thoughts: Upon first pulling onto the park I looked right and saw a the fifth hole. I noticed that the course seemed to follow around the park and I was immediately concerned. I've played a few parks like that and today was a busy day at the pool and rest of the park. However, this course was expertly put in. Hole one cuts through two trees right away. Two is across the road and is like throwing through a long tree tunnel. Three is part of the same tunnel and four was through another portion of the same set of trees with a very small 3 foot wide creek on the left side of the hole. Five, six, and seven then follow around the pool area but only on hole 5 did the road come into play. It was surprisingly open and a very spectacular layout. Eight is rather straight but the basket hugs the tree line. Nine is downhill and has a nice vegetation ridge to throw over. I started playing in Nevada so only 7 and 9 really had any elevation change to me. I can't stress how surprisingly nice the layout was for me. The only real issue is the baskets are pretty old and are not like modern baskets. The chains do not really "catch" the discs. I even had a light throw bounce through and put it the middle of the basket.

Great 9 Holes

5+    9/11/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: donnie
This review was updated on 9/11/2010
Pros: Some very cool wooded holes, and a few holes where you can air it out. Not many hazards, but don't get confident and put it into the river on #9. All holes are solid, and all are moderately difficult and can be played with different lines. The course makes good use of the landscape. Wooded holes all demand specific lines, and if you hit them eagles are possible. Interesting design on hole 8, very difficult for rhbh players. Woods along the left side of the fairway take away a normal drive and two tall trees on the right side take out the possibility of an anhyzer to the basket. Tees and signs are a plus.
Cons: There should be more holes here! There is so much room to take advantage of. Using the top of the sled hill next to hole 9 as a tee would make for an excellent hole. More wooded holes could be fit in without compromising the length or challenge of the course, and a few holes could be fit in between existing holes, specifically between 6 and 7. Other then that there is not too much to complain about here.
Other Thoughts: Pretty solid course, check out the Walgreens down the street, they always have a great variety of discs in stock.

Great Local Course

5+    6/6/2010   6/9/2010
Review By: chestdisc
Pros: - Great park location
- There are a variation of holes from easy to hard
- Good mix of terrain
- Good course for moderate players
- Nice people
- Good neighborhood
- Nice long fairway on hole seven and nine
- All concrete tee boxes
- Usually not crowded
Cons: - Can be muddy in certain areas if wet
- Some tees are hard to find
- Easy to lose discs on hole nine
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for a relaxing game here do not go on Tuesday nights because those are league nights.

One of the better Northeastern Illinois Courses

5+    4/29/2010   6/1/2010
Review By: Verrice
Pros: A lot of great variety in this course. Very few of the holes are repetitive, and there is no strong favor of RHBH throughout.

While most of the course is fairly short, it is a fun course to play. It is easy to have a disc go errant, and when you do, you are often punished accordingly. ;-)

Of most of the courses in the area, this one has the best variety and fun, in my opinion. Several of the holes have multiple ways to be played. Holes 5, 6, open up a bit, and 7 is wide open and you can let them rip.

Nice, full-size, concrete tees, and signage. The course map has had graffiti on it for at least a year. Not sure if it's been cleaned and re-tagged, or if it's been the same all along.

The park itself is very nice, well maintained, and has plenty of parking and shade.
Cons: Crowded... for this park, it's a big con all around. There are often lots of disc golfers about, and many of them are not considerate of other players. While I've met several people who are great, there are enough at this park to make it really stand out.

The other issue with being crowded is that it is a multi-use park, and in some cases holes may be unplayable due to people on the course. Hole 7 especially has this issue. I've had people walking with their dogs and children go right through fairways without even a clue there's anything going on. This can be very frustrating, or even dangerous.

Hole 4 can get quite muddy, especially after recent rain. I know a lot don't like the number of trees on 4, but it's definitely playable, just gotta watch out for the creek, and mud. ;-)
Other Thoughts: If this course was closer to home for me or much less crowded, I would play it more often. As it is, it is probably my second most frequently played course behind Central Park (due mostly to proximity).

It's a great course in design, and definitely worth playing. From a course perspective it's one of the better courses I've played in Northeastern Illinois.

Better Than Most

1    5/16/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Massasauga
Pros: -Concrete tees are a nice touch
-Everything was in great working order
-People playing are very friendly
-Challenging but reasonable wooded shots
-7th and 9th holes are very fun and open holes to play
Cons: -Very muddy on a rainy day
-Not too many open fairways
-A lot of woods

Great Course

5+    8/15/2009   4/16/2010
Review By: naturenut
Pros: Great variety of shots, with long shots through trees and wide open field shotsfields. There are elevation changes on several holes. Adler is a very well maintained park. It is fairly easy to navigate, just watch the walk from 3 to 4, which is just down the hill along the tress, 6 to 7, which is just straight along the path, and 7 to 8 is past the baseball field and through the woods. It is well marked and there are always others . Holes are not repetitive. An absolute great course. All holes playable, and a challenging course for a beginner.
Cons: Parts of the course are flood basins and will flood over when it rains. The entire end of the ninth hole can be submerged after significant rain. Bugs can be bad in summer. Careful of the park district summer camps that can take up several holes in the summr as well. Often time hole 2 and sometimes hole 3 have to be skipped entirely due to camps taking up the fairways.
Other Thoughts: Every hole can be shot in 2. I have seen a lot of reviews complaining about hole 4, and it is entirely throwable, just keep the disc low and there are several lines to choose from. Just watch the weather before you go, if it has been raining, it will be muddy. There are always other players on the course, so if you get lost, ask one, most of us are locals who are more then happy to help.

Meat & Potatoes

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: Nigel
Pros: Amazing variety of long, challenging holes. Signature holes #2 & 3 put your abilities to the test w/ long, narrow forest fairways.
Cons: Hole #4 can be somewhat discouraging given the thick wood.
Other Thoughts: In my DG experience, I've played w/ competitive and casual players...I prefer the latter. If you enjoy puffing the ganja, there's a nice sidepath in the forest by the start of hole #2. Otherwise, wait until the end of hole #9 and toke up on the benches by the river.

A- = Almost as good as a 9-holer can be

5+    4/19/2008   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

Favorite couse in the northern suburbs

1    6/1/2008   6/1/2008
Review By: heywillard90
This review was updated on 11/25/2008
Pros: Large woods make for fun and challenging shots. No hazards (its not likely you lose your disc in the river). Course is very spread out. There is not one lame, boring hole on the course (at least for me). Most holes lye in between 300 and 400 feet.
Cons: A bit hard to navigate. Course can get busy at times with other disc golfers.
Other Thoughts: This park used to be an 18 hole course, but at nine holes I say it is just right. Like I said before, there is not a dull shot on this course. If I ever wanted to impress anyone that play's disc golf moderately, I would invite them to play a round here. I feel it is a course that you must play in Chicagoland.