Libertyville, IL
Hole #8

I'm a fan

5+    8/8/2008   8/8/2009
Review By: theseus414
Pros: Holes 2 and 3 are bordered by perfectly parallel lines of trees, which is really a sight to see. It's like something out a Tim Burton movie. I like the rest of the course (except hole 4) too.

Oh, and also on hole 3, I almost HIT a 7 YEAR OLD. I couldn't see him.
Cons: There are to many trees on hole 4 and it plays like pinball from the depths of Frolf Hell.
Speaking of Hell, the other players kind of blow. Honestly, there must be something in the water in Libertyville b/c the other players are really cocky. Not kidding, people getting cocky on the Frolf course. I try to explain that this is glorified Frisbee and not some dick measuring contest, but that never works.

Also, I ALMOST hit that 7 year old. So close.
Other Thoughts: Awesome course, the other people who know about it suck, and be careful of the kids.

Decent Wooded Course

2-4    7/30/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: fifteen
Pros: This is a fun wooded course that requires some technical shots, which is different from the other courses in the area. The first tee has a map showing the course that you will need to give a quick look-over before playing. Concrete teepads are always a plus.

The first hole is probably the most memorable hole on the course, allows for various different approaches. The length is pretty long compared to other 9-hole'r in the area. It is a mix of right/left, up/down, and long/short holes, which is really nice. Des Plaines River is a hazard at Hole 9.
Cons: Like I said, the first hole is memorable then it just trails down from there. It is a really old course that probably has not been maintained in a long time. The baskets here are old and can be difficult to find. I had a hard time finding hole 4, which was pretty hidden in the woods. The baskets are also not easily spotted.

It is difficult to navigate the course your first time out. I even overlooked Hole 8 coming from hole 7. *Hole 8 is on the right from the basket at Hole 7 just past a small baseball field. *

It surrounds a public park so there will be day campers running around the park along with other park goers. Not a course for beginners because they will get frustrated with the wooded holes. Hole 9 is not anywhere near the first tee so its quite a walk uphill back to your car or first tee.
Other Thoughts: Bring bug spray since it can get pretty bad during hot days. Worth a trip if you're in the area. To get to the first tee, drive past the swimming pool parking lot to another parking lot with the course map next to the first tee.

Great 9 hole

5+    8/1/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: TheTruth
This review was updated on 10/3/2009
Pros: Great diversity in holes.
No advantage for back-handers, or fore-handers.
Challenging but decent for beginners.
Cons: Sometimes too many people, but this course is well worth it.
If you have never been here before, it can be a semi hard course to navigate, but there are many people you can follow. Still worth it.

Other Thoughts: The day campers get a little crazy, but its always funny to see a camp counselor nail a camper while playing dodgeball (look for this when you walk from hole 7 to 8).

Good Ol' Adler

5+    7/20/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: steven2361
This review was updated on 9/4/2012
Pros: Adler has nice long concrete teepads on every hole.

Good signage.

Righty and Lefty lines

Many memorable holes with mature trees throughout the course. There are tight alleys, open with protected pin. Some nice elevation comes into play on hole 9. Don't overthrow it into the river! Holes 2 and 5 are great. Hole 7 is a nice open oppurtunity to throw a 400 foot drive on whatever line you please.
Cons: The baskets are old with only four inner chains and some of the baskets on the baskets are not too high. Try not to get to frusterated with splashing putts.

Adler day camp is everywhere so watch out.

Gets pretty busy.

Hole 1's green was recently mown over making the hole very open and boring. Hole 3's left rough is also now not punishing at all making it easy to get up and down for par now after an erant drive. Hole 4 has a wall of trees right before the green making the hole very finicky. 8 is a very boring short hyzer hole.
Other Thoughts: They should get some new chains and/or baskets. I wish the park district would take care of their course as it is loved by hundreds of players.

It used to be 18 holes.

Great Course, Tough For First Timers

1    7/3/2009   7/10/2009
Review By: Maverick3324
This review was updated on 7/11/2009
Pros: From the narrow forest pathways of holes 2 and 3, to the wide open field shots of 7 and 9, Adler will test your skills as a disc golfer in a variety of settings. This course was challenging for me and very memorable because each hole is unique and somehow different from the previous, whether it is distance, elevation, or layout. Concrete tee pads and detailed tee signage are pluses. Discs that go astray are often easy to find as the brush and woods around the fairways are not very dense and easy to traverse.
Cons: This course is a little tough to follow if it is your first time playing it. Paths between Holes 3,4, and 5, and from 7 to 8 are tough to find and pretty far a part. Hole 4's dense wood and small brook down the left hand side are slightly overkill and make it the toughest and most intimidating hole I have played so far . The forest seems to hold water as the course was pretty muddy and slippery from a recent rain when I played it. The baskets are a little beaten up and tough to spot if you don't know where to look for them. The basket for hole 9 is not very close to the parking lot and makes for a somewhat lengthy uphill walk back to the parking lot. Lastly, the bugs can get bad, so make sure you bring bug spray.
Other Thoughts: This course was my very first experience playing Disc golf on a disc golf course. A few times before my family had messed around throwing discs at a park, but this was my first real experience on a disc golf course. Needless to say, I had a horrible time. I could not keep my disc in the fairway and I felt like I spent more time locating the discs than actually enjoying myself. It was difficult to keep my footing anywhere besides the tee pad because of the wet ground.
After developing my game a little by playing a few easier, more open courses such as Willow Stream in Buffalo Grove, I came back to Adler a couple weeks later. After gaining that little bit of experience and confidence, I thoroughly enjoyed my second time playing Adler and am excited for a trip back in the near future.
For those just starting out, I would recommend a less challenging course so you can figure out the game first. That way, when you do come to Adler, you will hopefully enjoy it just as much as I did my second time around and be excited to play it again.

Meat & Potatoes

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: Nigel
Pros: Amazing variety of long, challenging holes. Signature holes #2 & 3 put your abilities to the test w/ long, narrow forest fairways.
Cons: Hole #4 can be somewhat discouraging given the thick wood.
Other Thoughts: In my DG experience, I've played w/ competitive and casual players...I prefer the latter. If you enjoy puffing the ganja, there's a nice sidepath in the forest by the start of hole #2. Otherwise, wait until the end of hole #9 and toke up on the benches by the river.

9-Holer To Be Remembered

5+    5/26/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: StrikerME02
This review was updated on 6/24/2009
Pros: This one amazing nine hole course. There are plenty of shots that have a good risk/reward factor. The course is evenly split up between some very TOUGH wooded holes and some very FUN open holes. The itself is not one were you can make a couple of bad shots and still expect to get a decent score. If you make those bad shots it will sting. Hole #9 is one of my favorite holes that I have ever played. You throw from on top of a slight hill and it is a straight shot to the basket around 280ft. It is great to just stand back and watch the disc fly as this hole is all open. Hole #9 always has birdie opportunities sitting out there for you.
Cons: If you have a serious problem with walking this isn't the best choice of a course for you. Once an 18-holer now a 9-holer there is a good amount of walking distance between holes. Because of this it can also be quite confusing to navigate if it is your first time playing there as to get to the next hole you will sometimes have to cut through a path in the woods. And with the woods there comes plenty opportunities to lose disc that sail on you. One thing that really sticks out at me for this course is the baskets, they are not in the best shape and they are pretty beat. Finally, it can get quite a bit buggy, but if some mosquitoes are going to keep you from playing one of the best nine hole courses in Illinois you should question hole into disc golf you really are.
Other Thoughts: Don't let the #9 steer you away from this course. It is a great course that really tests your ability with a variety of different shots. The wooded holes are extremely tough as you have to thread your way down a narrow fairway or you will hit a tree. Hole #4 on this course is filled with trees all over the place that will act like land mines to your disc if your not careful. I encourage you to come out and enjoy a great couple rounds of disc golf at this great nine hole course

A- = Almost as good as a 9-holer can be

5+    4/19/2008   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

needs some TLC

5+    7/19/2008   2/26/2009
Review By: SavannahSean
Pros: good variety of tee shots. Mostly wide open, wooded shots have huge fairways. Some elevation change, medium distance. A big driver will find every hole a possible birdie. Seven may be the only challenge, but a drive around four hundred feet will leave you with a reasonably easy putt.
If you're used to urban courses that are more like pitch and putts you will enjoy this course and think it's quite a challenge.
Cons: Only nine holes. Nothing too technical. Any advanced or open division disc golfers should shoot well under par with every hole deuceable. Don't expect to be challenged. Great course for beginners however.
The course seems to be neglected. Damaged baskets, broken signage, and graffiti all made it feel like a forgotten course well past it's prime unlike back in the nineties when it was well taken care of. I was dissapointed.
Other Thoughts: I just recently discovered this site, and haven't played the course recently. My most recent round I was only visiting the area, but it was my local course for years. It is possible improvements have been made.

Best 9 Hole Course In Illinois

5+    2/14/2009   2/14/2009
Review By: #19325
This review was updated on 1/9/2010
Pros: This is a very challenging 9 hole course.
Cement Tees. Very long!
Slight elevation. (#1, #7, #8, #9)
Couple of fast greens. Depending on the angle there are uphill and downhill putts on this course. (#4, #7, #8, & #9).
You will need every shot to score well on this course. The overall course design is very good. There is no left/righty advantage. It's pretty balanced.
Cons: If you don't have a map you might have a difficult time fining your way.

Some of the baskets are in poor condition. They have been beat up over the years.Many of the rings are missing and league players have done their best to fix them.

Several of the signs are missing.

During the wet/warm months the skeeters get pretty bad. Bring bug spray.

Depending on what time of year you play this course can be muddy.

Very crowded during the warm weather months. There are times that you will see every hole with a group and people waiting to play.

This course was installed in 1981. It was originally 18 holes the cut to 9 with the addition of activities in the park. There has been quite a bit of erosion and tree damage over the years.

Other Thoughts: This is the best 9 hole course in Illinois.

Once you take a left at the light continue around past the pool parking lot. The 1st tee is located in the back lot. There is a big board with disc golf rules and map located next to tee #1.

Link to Pics