Paw Paw, WV
The Woodshed Share
Uploaded By: Qikly Hole #6 (Taken 6/2014)
Hole #6 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3
Embiggened, Embattled

1    6/6/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: Qikly
Pros: The Woodshed comes in two basic flavors: long, more open holes with enough obstacles and elevation to test your control with distance drivers, and tight tight tightly wooded holes that require the utmost precision in finding and holding your line. There aren't as many intermediary holes between these two types as one might like, but they nevertheless provide a lot of shot variety between them. I teed off with virtually every disc in my bag here, and I carry a fully-stocked Simian. There's no repetition, and a great ebb and flow between open and wooded. Elevation takes all kinds of forms and really shines here.

Big arms will especially appreciate the more open holes. They're technicality embiggened: lots of engaging line shaping in the 350'-450'+ range. Mere mortals will still find a lot to appreciate - obstacles, elevation, and the intermittent water strongly emphasize placement no matter how far you throw - with the numerous wooded holes offsetting the open ones nicely. Guarded pins and rolling hills plus the few uses of the pond make for some sophisticated, scary approaches. In all it's a great balance of "let's see if I can surprise myself and hit this line" and "let's see how far this disc flies," with solid design, consistent challenge, and no gimmicks.

Great grooming, though still some nasty spots off fairway.

The Whippin' Post, the other 18 on site, is transcendent. You'll feel like a king having these two great courses virtually to yourself.
Cons: The dichotomy between the two basic hole types mentioned holds too firm for my liking: some interplay between wooded and open sections on individual holes would tremendously add to the design IMHO. As is, the woods holes seem a bit basic to me: they're very much of the "hit this line or else" variety and usually stick to a single curve, with little room for creativity or risk/reward decision making. The woods holes are often simply a matter of survival, and getting kicked off the fairway and into the rough means you probably won't.

The emphasis on longer hole lengths threatens to get repetitive for shorter throwers: if you don't regularly hit 375'+ a lot of the holes are very tough 3s and pretty easy 4s. As a 350' thrower I enjoyed the course more than I expected on this front, but it's probably the course I've most wished for a longer arm on. The lack of am tees magnifies this drawback, though I'm not sure they're the solution for a course where D is so integral. This plus the general challenge level adds up to the Woodshed being one of the most beginner-unfriendly courses I've played.

We had serious problems navigating this course. The absence of many tee signs, common lack of next tee indications, and ability to see multiple baskets simultaneously led to a lot of frustration and some throws from the wrong tee or to the wrong pin, even with the map we were given upon arrival. This was amplified by how long the course was: it just added to the already-ample walking and the round's extended duration. In all I would say that the poor navigation definitely didn't ruin our round, but certainly dampened it at points.

The tees are serviceable gravel, but probably poor when wet. This is especially notable given the predominant longer hole lengths. Some nasty rough that can swallow your disc if you land unfortunately, although this was less of a factor than I'd feared going in by far. Ticks and other critters are especially common; this is the out-and-out sticks, y'all.
Other Thoughts: The Woodshed did not shine to me as the Whippin' Post did, but it's certainly an awesome course. Just not as much nuance and next-level-ness as its companion, and a bit narrower of a target audience, too. Navigation frustrations also didn't help. But overall, my trip to Paw Paw rocked. The Whippin' Post and Woodshed combined for one of the most memorable disc golfing days I've had, right up there with Selah itself. I can't recommend visiting here highly enough.

Take your Spankin'

1    6/11/2014   6/20/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - - The Woodshed is a course of two extremes. It combines straight up bomber holes over giant rolling hills with extremely tight wooded holes. Multiple pads on some of the holes that give you an option of how you want to play it.

Right off the bat you get a sweet throw off a hill and a pin wedged between a pond and a treeline. You can throw at the pin but it's risky and that type of risk/reward is what you can expect on this course in the open. There are several huge throws that are mostly open but have the pin tucked in a woodline or around a corner that force you to throw big shots but we fairly accurate with where it's going. You can push the pin or you can play it safe. All the while on these holes you're dealing with huge elevation changes up down and across.

Now in the woods here you're in for a good deal of crazy tight and challenging shots. If you like to really be pushed on how accurate you can be while working a disc over shorter and sharper elevation changes while OB looms right off the fairway in some cases... well it's here, enjoy it if you can. I ended up throwing a lot of rollers and you'll need to be creative because you'll definitely end up off the fairway if you can even find the fairway.

The greens on the course are pretty well done in the open. As I said they found a way to put them in just the right place to make them challenging to reach while avoiding danger and in many cases they're on slopes so being on the wrong side can give you a death putt.

This course really is meant for people with huge D; if you have less than 400' of power you're not going to be able to reach a lot of the par 3's so you'll probably end up with some boring approaches. However for someone like myself I really enjoyed being pushed to air something out and be accurate.

Likewise the more open multi-shot holes are also well done in that your second shot is usually still a good enough distance and with enough obstacles or elevation to make it challenging.

Equipment - Baskets were in decent condition, didn't seem to have a problem catching. There are some hole maps on a few holes though they are fading. If you're lucky enough to catch the owner you'll get a map though come prepared with one just in case. The course isn't as hard to follow as I was led to believe but having the map really comes in handy when trying to figure out how the holes play.

Atmosphere - It's a private course on top of a mountain with open rolling hills, ponds and woods all in one. It's just awesome. The owner greeted us when we got there and gave us the rundown; just really seemed like they have put a ton of work in to this course and giving it the love it needs to shine. The mowing necessary to keep this course is up is quite insane and honestly I don't think the $5 they ask for is enough. I'd gladly pay more to play here again because it's worth it.
Cons: Layout - The wooded holes here are just way to tight. It is what it is and I'm sure there's a reason for them to be that way as this is the original course and perhaps it was meant to be like that in the beginning... but they're just to tight. There are some that I didn't have a problem with but overall they're not what I call a fair challenge and some luck is involved. I threw a lot of FH rollers just to keep the disc skinny and have a better chance of getting as far up the fairway as possible. If they just took a few trees out and made those holes more accessible this course would be instantly much better.

Perhaps a few to many huge more open bomber holes, if they could of mixed in some shorter shots with more obstacles it would have more balance. It's just some of those holes aren't as exciting or good as the others.

Equipment - The crush and run pads are showing age; they're uneven in spots and beginning to be overgrown in others. I teed off from the grass when possible just to have more sure footing. The teesigns here are also showing age and didn't really give you a great idea of the hole when they were still readable or there. Again make sure you bring a map or use the one provided.

Atmosphere -- If long walks up big hills is a problem for you then this might not be the course for you. It's nothing overly strenous however it's not a cakewalk to walk around this monster. I don't see it as a con but something to think about before coming.

Other Thoughts: This is one of the two courses at Paw Paw and in my opinion the lesser of the two. There's less overall balance and the wooded holes just aren't fair or all that fun considering.

Remember that this place is kind out of out there so bring whatever you need, it's not a short trip back to civilization.

Super Fun Course, Super Fun Place

1    6/6/2014   6/12/2014
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: The Woodshed and Whippin' Post put together one of the best possible days of disc golf out there and do a great job of balancing each other out. They are located on an awesome piece of property with rolling hills and dense woods that was made for disc golf. Far from anything else, you will most likely have this land all to yourself. While I didn't meet Gabbi when I was there, I had a very helpful phone conversation with her as she gave me precise directions for how to journey to their property. She was kind enough to have her son welcome us, give us a course map, and show us where each course began.

"Rustic" doesn't quite adequately describe the property, which offers bathrooms and a practice basket near the parking area. There are couches to relax on between rounds and they even set out jugs of water for us in the barn.

The Woodshed starts right in between the parking area and the barn and stays on that side of the property the entire time. It plays slightly shorter than its sister course (not that there is anything feminine about it) but actually felt longer to me with its many long, open holes. Elevation is pretty much a constant here with the rolling hills on holes 7-13 and the extreme sloping on holes 1-6 and 14-17. The course does a nice job in mixing up different pockets of hole types, as you go from open-wooded-open-wooded-open holes.

There is a great deal of risk/reward shots here which also adds to the course's ability to be replayed. Holes like 4 and 16 give you no choice but to try to hit the line, utilizing extreme slopes and road O.B. that bring unavoidable danger if you land off the fairway. These are similar looking holes, but I appreciate how one was a FH line and one was a BH line. Holes 1 and 10 do a great job of using each side of the pond and combine elevation and tight pin positions to put even the best-placed drives in some danger. Again, these holes initially appear to be similar, but were designed differently even while using the same section of property.

My favorite parts of the course were the two sections of wooded holes, 2-6 and 14-16. While some of these lines are borderline insane, I always felt that I was playing a fair hole that required more skill than luck. Even the very tightly wooded hole 6 had a specific line to the basket. The Gauntlet was easily one of the most memorable and hardest holes I have played, as well as hole 15.

The tee pads were in good shape, gave good support, and were free from any ingrown weeds or grass. Course maintenance was awesome for the most part: fairways were freshly mowed and discs were easy to find in the dense woods. All of the baskets have numbers on them, which helped some navigational problems.
Cons: -Navigation was one of the biggest detractors for me here. I highly recommend using a map, as there are a few times when multiple baskets are in view from the tee and many tee signs are missing. Even with the course map, navigation can be tricky and is not nearly as intuitive as it is on Whippin' Post.
-Grooming was immaculate for a course this size, but there are a few spots that can suck your discs in pretty easily.
-For me to move up the rating any higher, I would've liked to have seen more holes that were multidimensional, combining different technical elements. Holes 2 and 13 are great examples of multistage holes, but I would've enjoyed more of these on this side of the property.
-I wouldn't want to make the trek to this course in the rain or snow, but even my low-riding Altima with worn-out tires was able to make it here fine. Getting here isn't an issue, but the steep, winding roads encourage careful navigation. As others have said, come prepared with food, water, and gas, as not much is around this area at all.
Other Thoughts: The owners clearly love hosting these awesome courses and do their best to enhance your experience. Even though these courses gave me a severe beat down, I would come back in a heartbeat. The Woodshed was slightly below my expectations, but still had some of the most challenging and fun holes I've played with the wooded holes. Don't let my 4-disc rating stop you from coming here, as I think I would enjoy this course a little more if I had a bigger arm. Combined with the Whippin' Post, this makes for one of the most memorable days of disc golf imaginable. On our way back home, we saw a bear run across the road. This was Paw Paw's way of saying, "Yes, you were truly in the middle of nowhere. Yes, this is a one of a kind experience. And, yes, it was awesome!"

Scenic but need a guide!

1    5/31/2014   5/31/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
This review was updated on 6/11/2014
Pros: It was truly a unique experience to play this course. I will start with the drive to the course - WOW! If you thought Flip City or Chainbiters were off the beaten path think again. Getting to the course was almost as unique as playing the actual course. You had to travel down a winding path through the mountains and it was about 7 miles. Once you get to the property you can tell it was made for disc golf. Props to the owner for meeting me and describing the course and giving me a map. She was extremely nice and kind. This course truly had stunning beauty. Hole 1 was an incredible first shot that played nearly 500 feet with a pond to the left. The green is on a small sliver of land and the right offers a huge bailout area. Hole 10 was probably my favorite hole - its right in front of you for the taking. Its 389 feet and it takes all of that to carry the pond that guards the green. You can bailout to the left or you can try to go for the hole. Having multiple holes with water on the course truly ups the experience in my opinion. I love being able to air out drives and this course offered that opportunity. In particular, holes 7 through 13 really allowed you to air it out while still providing obstacles in the fairway. The variety on this course was truly there. There were some long and open holes and some incredibly tight holes. Hole 3, titled the Gauntlet, was truly one of the tightest holes over 500 feet that I have ever played. This hole, even though its only 534 feet, could easily be labeled a par 5. I threw three awesome shots and made to make a 30 footer for a 4. The course offered some nice elevation as well. Hole 2 had a large uphill drive and a couple of the back nine holes offered some downhill shots. Truly a great property that was seemingly made for disc golf!
Cons: I truly would love to give this course a higher rating but unfortunately I had too many cons. The main issue with the course was navigation. For me, this was mitigated because two locals showed up and I played with them but it would have been tough to navigate without them. Also, the owner gave me a nice map (not the one listed on this site) that helped with some of the distances and some navigation. Unfortunately not all holes have tee signs so finding some of the boxes would have been difficult. It was also difficult to tell the distances on the map, so I was guessing on some distances. If you play this course I would recommend playing with a local and printing the distances from this site. The day I played the grass was a little long but the owner said they were mowing that afternoon. The baskets are beginning to show some age but caught ok. The tee pads were gravel and I imagine could get very slick. Finally, some of the holes were very tight. I am okay with tight but a few of the wooded holes felt very constricted.
Other Thoughts: What an experience it was to play here. It was a really fun course with some truly awesome holes. I would highly recommend playing this course in a group or playing with locals because of navigation issues. Please keep in mind that I am rating this course a 3.5 which is considered very good. Also, the longer grass did cause some issues with losing discs. I unfortunately lost two discs the day I played and looked for another one for 20 minutes before finding it. The owner also warned me that the courses have had more snakes than usual because of some logging happening near their property. I would have loved to rate this course a 4.0 or better, but unfortunately the navigational issues are evident on the course.

A gem that needs some polish

1    4/19/2013   4/30/2013
Review By: Kent18
Pros: This private course is one of two courses in a remote section of West Virginia. Breathtaking views. Lots of tee shots with fun elevation changes. Baskets in great condition. Good balance of wooded to open holes. Has water element, two ponds that come into play A huge "shed" with lots of disc golf nostalgia with a place close by to camp with most of all the amenities that go along; fire pit, clean out-houses. Has the fun factor along with the gorgeous landscape. Lots of holes require two great shots to save par. Really friendly and accommodating private owners.
Cons: Tee signs are in bad condition. (Yes they have maps but still prefer tee signs) Tee pads could be spruced up with fresh fine gravel. There has to be something wrong with hole 3. We found the tee box and the basket just never seemed to locate the fairway? Decent number of downed trees on the wooded holes. Course flow would be tricky for first timers even with the map provided. Not that it's a con but not too may short holes here and along with that very few birdie chances.
Other Thoughts: The Woodshed was my favorite of the two courses located on the property and probably plays slightly easier as well. You can tell this course has seen a lot of good times in its history and can't help but wonder if its glory days are gone now? The demands of running/maintaining one let alone two private courses of this size has to be a challenge. Without knowing the situation it would be great if the local disc golf club (if one exists) could have 1-2 work days to spruce this baby back up. The course is very playable as is but with fading tee signs lots of downed trees you can't help but to also hurt for this gem of a place of what it can still be. Its a 4 1/2 star course at least in barely 4 star shape right now. My friend and I camped on the property and had a great time. (Make sure you pay$!) Apparently later this year they plan to have a huge 20 year celebration tournament. I would gladly go up a half a star if tee signs, tee pads, fairways cleared of unfair debris and benches were attended too.

Totally Friggin' AWESOME!!!

1    5/26/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 Championship caliber holes (36 really) on a private course with some of the most ideal terrain and scenic quality you can imagine to play on. The variety of open and wooded holes combined with the distance and elevation really test a player's mastery of skill through the air and mental toughness. There is rolling on elevation on most holes which always makes shots more interesting. There are big downhill and uphill bombs, as well as some long holes through the tight woods, and shots around the pond. Baskets are well placed with high risk and reward in most cases. Some huge flags on the baskets where they are blind from the huge elevation change. There were decent tee signs.

The Woodshed is a little more open with less elevation, but also tighter in the woods, than the Whipping Post.

The course was immaculately groomed like a 5 star ball golf course when I played on Memorial weekend. There is tall grass off the fairways on the open holes, but the fairways are really generous like 50' wide, and there was little underbrush off the tighter fairways in the woods, so losing a disc is fairly hard unless it's a really bad shot or really unlucky.

Camping is available on site, so you can spend the weekend. Two very clean portapotties by the shed.

Cons: I've never given a 5 disc rating until now and I won't say there aren't things that could be better here, but this course blows every other course I have played out of the park, and can only get better!

Being nitty...the tee on hole 1 was a little to cumbersome for me to feel safe on the followthrough. A couple of the holes in the woods could use more defined fairways. Navigation can be a little tough for someone playing the first time.

Don't know if it's con but this course maybe too much a beginner or intermediate player, it really wasn't designed as such. It was designed for the best of the best. With that in mind I know some local beginners that do play the course and do ok, but can get frustrated.
Other Thoughts: For anyone traveling through Berkley Springs the experience begins with the drive to the course. It is simply breathtaking overlooking the valley of the mountains with the Potomac river below. The roads do get a little scary as you get closer to the course, but it also adds some thrill and anticipation. In some cases you may have to pull off to the side to let vehicles pass from the other direction. I would not want to drive here in the snow, it's scary enough in the dark or even daylight. If you are arriving from the west side of Paw Paw the drive is even scarier and not as scenic.

Upon arriving I put $20 in the can in the shed where the money to play and camp goes. I was only here to play both courses one day, but just looking at the property and work that has gone into here I felt obligated to pay more, and have payed more for some dinky courses comparatively. Gabby came out almost immediately to greet me with a smile and give me course map. This map is better than the ones on the website here. She also gave some quick pointers about the course and warned to watch for copperheads as one of her dogs was recently bitten. I know there are also bears, bobcats, and coyotes in the area. I was glad I ran into some old hippy pro I know from Bmore hanging out the shed waiting for somebody to play with since I'd never played here before.

Come here prepared not only as far as your golf game goes, but with enough water and food for your stay. There is hardly anything locally, and you really don't want to venture away for a few good reasons.

This is truly the best disc golf experience I know of, and if you consider yourself a disc golfer this is an absolute must play and totally worth the journey from wherever, and I will hopefully be back sooner rather than later! What more can I say other than Paw Paw or as some call it Wap Wap is totally friggin' AWESOME!!!

Well worth braving the treacherous road in

1    3/13/2012   3/15/2012
Review By: dschley
Pros: Simply amazing! It's all there! I can't wait to play whippin post we ran out of time.
Cons: None worth mentioning.
Other Thoughts: Thanks to the owner for their work maintaining such a long private course your efforts are much appreciated.

Paw Paw rocks!

1    1/5/2012   1/6/2012
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Fantastic natural beauty. The terrain rolls throughout a large West Virginia landscape that includes awesome vista views from hilltops to hikes through wooded trails with ravines and moss covered stones to clear ponds and a wild assortment of foliage. One of the reasons I took the trip here was to experience this beauty. This place exceeded my expectations. Truly fantastic.

Another reason for playing was the renowned reputation of the elite challenge this course represents. Again, this course exceeded expectations. Not only was it incredibly challenging, it was more fair than I expected. Tales of the "Gauntlet" and the long wooded holes had me skeptical because I've never been a fan of convoluted fairways. Yes, there are stretches of very long and very tight holes, but I was able to find lines consistently. Tight lines...but DEFINED lines. Thats all I ask for. These technical holes are complimented with a host of absolutely gorgeous open holes. Distance is your biggest obstacle. Wind will likely play a role here as well. Some of the pins are on sloped greens making fades and skips a factor.

The elevation is top shelf. There are several 400+ ft. drives from vistas that allow you to maximize distance and watch your disc sail for days. This elevation is relevant on pretty much every hole. In woods, you are not just dealing with density but upshots and slopes as well.

This course flows well. It pours you in and out of the woods all round long. You finish the front nine back near the barn. Always a fan of seperating the front and back nine at a central starting point.

Character. Vibe. Fun factor. Call it what you want, but this place "feels" great. I'm calling it the Paw Paw factor. It will last long after your gone.
Cons: Slim pickin's here. To find flaws I have to reach toward signage. The signage is old and tatered, when present. Plenty of the signs have been swept away with weather.

Some of the woodwork (bridges, benches...etc) are also showing age. Frankly, all the man made components are quite worn.
Other Thoughts: As soon as I pulled in, Gabby came out with her 2 dogs and greeted me with a smile. She provided a map and gave a detailed descrption of the course and the current settings. This was very much appreciated. Her yellow lab actually joined me on several holes through the round. Good stuff.

It should be noted, that even though I stand by the nice flow of this course, there are times multiple pins are in view. You will definitely need the map to ensure you are aiming at the proper pin.

All in all, I found this place exhilarating. It was extremely demanding yet giving at the same time. I read the reviews of everyone making it out to be a negative that this course was "in the middle of nowhere". That is one of the things I liked best about it. I drove over 12 hours, roundtrip, just to play...and it was well worth it. This is absolutely a destination course. I will be back.

One of the Best

5+    6/9/2009   7/13/2011
Review By: The otto
This review was updated on 3/22/2012
Pros: This course has everything. Elevation change, beautiful scenery, amazing variety of shots and tons of risk-reward. This is a course that will test you mentally and physically. I have played all over the country, and I can name the courses on one hand (Warwick maybe) that would compare to the level of difficulty and experience that is disc golf at the Woodshed and it's counterpart, the Whippin Post. Camping is available on site but I strongly recommend calling ahead to ensure availability.
Cons: Not much around, so you need to plan ahead - bring coolers with food and water. These courses can be a harsh reality, so be mentally prepared!
Other Thoughts: This course is worth the travel no matter where you are coming from.

This course is a dream

2-4    3/30/2011   3/30/2011
Review By: tehrain
Pros: Great big, privately run and groomed course. Plenty of challenge on this course, and beauty to match it. It's in the middle of nowhere but well worth the road trip.
Cons: Middle of nowhere... but wait, that's good!
Other Thoughts: Literally, this course is a dream. Put it on your wishlist.

< Prev 1 2 3