Paw Paw, WV
The Woodshed Share
Uploaded By: Qikly Hole #11 (Taken 6/2014)

Well worth braving the treacherous road in

1    3/13/2012   3/15/2012
Review By: dschley
Pros: Simply amazing! It's all there! I can't wait to play whippin post we ran out of time.
Cons: None worth mentioning.
Other Thoughts: Thanks to the owner for their work maintaining such a long private course your efforts are much appreciated.

Paw Paw rocks!

1    1/5/2012   1/6/2012
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Fantastic natural beauty. The terrain rolls throughout a large West Virginia landscape that includes awesome vista views from hilltops to hikes through wooded trails with ravines and moss covered stones to clear ponds and a wild assortment of foliage. One of the reasons I took the trip here was to experience this beauty. This place exceeded my expectations. Truly fantastic.

Another reason for playing was the renowned reputation of the elite challenge this course represents. Again, this course exceeded expectations. Not only was it incredibly challenging, it was more fair than I expected. Tales of the "Gauntlet" and the long wooded holes had me skeptical because I've never been a fan of convoluted fairways. Yes, there are stretches of very long and very tight holes, but I was able to find lines consistently. Tight lines...but DEFINED lines. Thats all I ask for. These technical holes are complimented with a host of absolutely gorgeous open holes. Distance is your biggest obstacle. Wind will likely play a role here as well. Some of the pins are on sloped greens making fades and skips a factor.

The elevation is top shelf. There are several 400+ ft. drives from vistas that allow you to maximize distance and watch your disc sail for days. This elevation is relevant on pretty much every hole. In woods, you are not just dealing with density but upshots and slopes as well.

This course flows well. It pours you in and out of the woods all round long. You finish the front nine back near the barn. Always a fan of seperating the front and back nine at a central starting point.

Character. Vibe. Fun factor. Call it what you want, but this place "feels" great. I'm calling it the Paw Paw factor. It will last long after your gone.
Cons: Slim pickin's here. To find flaws I have to reach toward signage. The signage is old and tatered, when present. Plenty of the signs have been swept away with weather.

Some of the woodwork (bridges, benches...etc) are also showing age. Frankly, all the man made components are quite worn.
Other Thoughts: As soon as I pulled in, Gabby came out with her 2 dogs and greeted me with a smile. She provided a map and gave a detailed descrption of the course and the current settings. This was very much appreciated. Her yellow lab actually joined me on several holes through the round. Good stuff.

It should be noted, that even though I stand by the nice flow of this course, there are times multiple pins are in view. You will definitely need the map to ensure you are aiming at the proper pin.

All in all, I found this place exhilarating. It was extremely demanding yet giving at the same time. I read the reviews of everyone making it out to be a negative that this course was "in the middle of nowhere". That is one of the things I liked best about it. I drove over 12 hours, roundtrip, just to play...and it was well worth it. This is absolutely a destination course. I will be back.

One of the Best

5+    6/9/2009   7/13/2011
Review By: The otto
This review was updated on 3/22/2012
Pros: This course has everything. Elevation change, beautiful scenery, amazing variety of shots and tons of risk-reward. This is a course that will test you mentally and physically. I have played all over the country, and I can name the courses on one hand (Warwick maybe) that would compare to the level of difficulty and experience that is disc golf at the Woodshed and it's counterpart, the Whippin Post. Camping is available on site but I strongly recommend calling ahead to ensure availability.
Cons: Not much around, so you need to plan ahead - bring coolers with food and water. These courses can be a harsh reality, so be mentally prepared!
Other Thoughts: This course is worth the travel no matter where you are coming from.

1    8/2/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: jkdisc
This review was updated on 3/14/2014
Pros: The Woodshed is very challenging and fun. The $5 it costs to play is very much worth it. The property owners are great people.

Course Pros:
-long open shots and tightly wooded shots
-great use of land and elevation
-risk/reward including 2 water hazards
-beautiful mountain scenery
-well maintained
-flags on the baskets help with locating and reading wind direction
-secluded and peaceful
-the woodshed doubles as a comfortable clubhouse

Camping Pros:
-5$ per person is a bargain
-soft ground for sleeping and walking barefoot
-firepit
I saw more stars in the sky than I have ever seen before. It was amazing and I must have seen half a dozen shooting stars.
Cons: The road in is narrow and it seems like there cannot be a disc golf course back there. As stated previously, it is far from most places but I do recommend camping there. You do get 2 first class courses when you play the Whipping Post right next door.

-beginners may get frustrated
-tee signs aren't very good (bring a map and you will be fine)
-some overlap but it isn't too busy anyhow
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole was #1, nearly 500ft down a hill with a pond waiting for you near the basket. The pictures don't show how much foliage actually grows in.
Paw Paw is worth the trek. Bring your food, drinks, and camping gear!

Wild and wonderful -- just like West Virginia!

1    8/17/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: jblough
This review was updated on 7/3/2012
Pros: Absolutely fantastic variety of holes ranging from rolling hills, long fairways, water hazards, tight wooded passages, and insane left and right doglegs. The reviews aren't kidding when they say that some of the wooded passages are only a few feet apart! A great challenge!

Service is great, as Gabby will greet you with a smile and a much-needed map. The course dog, Scout, will also follow you and be your best pal while you're playing.

The actual woodshed is a really neat clubhouse with which to relax before and after golfing. A great place to crack open a cold beer or two and enjoy the scenery outside.

Another pro is that the course is completely separated from human civilization. For some, this may be unnerving, but I love it! 18 holes of fun!

Did I already mention I really like the water hazards?
Cons: Unless you're from Cumberland MD, it's most likely going to be quite a drive to arrive here. Could also be very difficult to get here in the Winter because of the treacherous WV roads.

The tees and signs could use some improvements and care. They're there, but barely!

The rough behind the pond on hole #1 is a disc eater! At least 50 feet of nothing but the most formidable briers and thorns.

The numerous trees on some holes will not be kind to DX or Pro-D discs. Try and use higher quality plastic if you're prone to hitting trees like I was at The Woodshed.

The course is pay to play, but it's hardly a con. It's worth the $5 -- but it's a fee nevertheless.
Other Thoughts: I've visited many areas in West Virginia and this place is one of the most beautiful! Out of all the disc golf courses I've played at, this is one of the few that does not feel like a park or recreation area -- it's pure wild! As such, it's a great place to relax and enjoy the game.

On the other hand, it's very difficult to play here. I shot an 80 and I was happy with that. The feeling of elation is indescribable for birdies and even pars on some of these holes! Don't let the formidable challenge drive you away; embrace it!

I'm starting to understand the course better!

5+    2/7/2009   2/7/2009
Review By: Jimb
Pros: Variety, variety, variety. In the wonderfully scenic hills of WV lies this great course on a wonderful site for disc golf.

It has most everything you could want as far as course design. There are big bomb holes. There are super tight/technical holes... and don't think that just because they're tight that they're short. They're long and technical. Take a hike... literally! There are a pond and stream that both come into play. There are severe uphill and downhill shots. There are right turning and left turning shots. You name it and this course has it. I normally throw RHBH as much as possible. I only had to throw a couple tomahawks and a few forehands and felt very good about only having to use a few of my secondary shots today. Meaning, I stayed pretty close to the fairways today and didn't end up in the thicker woods. I was very fortunate. In the past I've had to use a lot more secondary shots.

And when I say thicker woods, unless you make a really-really bad shot, the woods you end up in is made up of trees of various sizes... lots of trees. But the underbrush is amazingly sparse.

The baskets don't look new any more, but all seem to be in excellent condition. There are signs pointing you in the direction of the next tee, but some of them are getting a little squirley.

And, of course, I have to mention the hosts. I've only spoken with Gabbie. But every time I'm there she walks out with a smile and a map for me.

This is definitely a pro caliber course and will challenge even the best players. Just ask the last two Champions from the WV Open... Mike Moser and Markus Kallstrom, both highly rated pros on team Innova. Beginners can play this course (I did two years ago) but it has the potential to really beat you up. Not a bad thing as it's awesome to see how much your game improves when you go back.
Cons: The gravel tees (a fine crushed gravel) are ok when dry. But when wet they're a muddy, slippery mess. And they can get rutty. They are a nice size, though.

And the signage isn't what it used to be. Since I know my way around it's no big deal. But for a first time with only a map, it can be quite a task to navigate the course easily. Some of the "next hole this way" signs are faded and fallen. Several of the hole markers are knocked over and faded.

And, as others have said, it's in the middle of nowhere. (But that is a pro at the same time because it's so peaceful.) Be prepared for an ultra-windy, part dirt-road, trip to get there. Don't even think about letting it keep you from going... just be prepared.
Other Thoughts: I don't easily give out such a high rating. And only because there is so much to love about the Woodshed can I give it this high a score regardless of the shortcomings.

If just the tees and signage were upgraded this would be a sure-fire 5! But being a privately owned property, this would be a very big undertaking since there are 18 more holes on the same property called the Whipping Post.

And of the two, the Woodshed is clearly my favorite. I believe that it's just a personal thing for me. I don't know why really. I just like it better.

I would highly recommend this course to anyone and everyone who plays the game regardless of the travel needed to get there. Come and stay as there's camping on site. Make a weekend of it as you'll want to play the courses over and over.

Check out they're website that's listed here on DGCR. And check out this Youtube clip... and several more from the 2007 WV Open. You'll really get a feel for the courses.

God Plays Disc Golf

2-4    7/18/2009   12/21/2008
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 9/1/2012
Pros: The course itself is long, has intense wooded holes, fast greens, elevation, water, open bombs and a unique charm not found elsewhere. Every hole requires you to use your brain and your skill. Mental discipline is required here more so than anywhere else I've played. I found myself thinking of holes played miles away after I sadly left the course. What is very interesting is that every hole makes an impression. There are no filler holes. Also the course is balanced, once your getting fed up with trees your greeted with an open field with a huge precise drive needed. Once your ego is back to equilibrium, you are back in the woods being beaten again by Uncle Spencer. The splendid isolation of disc golf only countryside on top of a wild mountain. The rustic clubhouse with the sign in book with so many amazing anecdotes from so many pilgrims. The friendly hosts. I'm gushing.
Cons: Fairways cross one another at 8 & 9. Not many people on course so not really an issue. At times, if you listen real hard you can hear the trees whispering and laughing at you. The challenge may be too much for anyone with a fragile ego. Legendary Gauntlet Holes may beat up your discs. Playing here might ruin/spoil every experience you ever have playing DG for the rest of your life.
Other Thoughts: I recently went back to Paw after 5 years. I am a little bit better of a player now than I was back then. Unfortunately my opinion of this place has changed. Many of the tight gauntlet holes particularly 3,4,6,14,15 are just not really fair at all. I scored just as poorly on these as I did 5 yrs ago when I was a relative noob. This shows that luck is needed moreso than skill. If Spence would just swallow his pride and just thin out some of the trees, not an overall clearing just maybe thin it out a bit I would be able to in good conscience keep Paw Paw a 5 but I have to be honest as great as some of the holes are the abundance of trees in the fairway (not off the fairway) really spoil this place. The drive to this mecca is long and out of the way for anyone. The whole pilgrimmage and environment may have twisted my opinion. Nah, this course stands the test of time and technology. Play this course and it's twin sister and you won't regret the drive.

Worth the drive

2-4    9/1/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: Scenery - The course is located in the WV mountains on a beautiful tract of land with big views on many holes. The piece of land is gorgeous - rolling hills, steep ravines, thick woods & open areas. When I visited the grass was in two cuts: long & full of wildflowers and short around the fairways & greens

Challenge - The woodshed will test players of all abilities, especially those that can throw less than 500'. Mix of long bomber holes & super tight technical wooded holes

Upkeep - the land is in phenomenal condition and the hard work put into these courses is evident by the lack of underbrush & the great condition of the course

Character - this place is amazing - having two world class courses on the same tract, the barn/music venue, a pond to swim in/lose discs in, and killer camping spots

Not a par 3 course - there are legit par 4's and par 5's -- a score in the 60's is good and in the 50's is great

On private land!!!

Some awesome holes - #1, #10, #13 are all great
Cons: Far from anywhere, which becomes a pro once you've arrived

Not beginner friendly - as noted in the other reviews, this is a long & tough course & doesn't have shorter teepad options (on most holes)

Fairway trees: Holes 3 (gauntlet) & 6 have little/no fairway. The saying I heard several times was: "not saying it's fair, but there's a way"....this holds true for more holes on the whipping post, but definitely true on these holes. Get your forehand roller ready!

Other Thoughts: Woodshed is more open than the whipping post & caters more to big arms, with several two-able holes if you can throw 450'+.

Both courses are phenomenal & the setting just adds to the experience. These are definitely two of my favorites that I recommend to everyone. The courses are tough and can be mentally taxing - they can really beat you up - but at the end of the day when you wind down in a beautiful campsite & look up at the stars, the beauty of the place becomes more evident

It's Just A Matter Of Preference

7/7/2003   3/12/2008
Pros: Scenic West Virginia countryside.
A perfect piece of land for a course.
Awesome host and hostess-Spencer & Gabby.
On sight camping available.
Has hills and water hazards.
Three par 5's.
Six par 4's.
7675 total feet of disc golf course.
Will challenge top pros.
Combination of wooded versus open fields holes.

Cons: Paw Paw is a very long way from anywhere.
Tight wooded fairways are tough on the average player.
The ravines off the fairways are tougher on the average player.
The open field par 3's are long.
Three par 5's.
Six par 4's.
7675 total feet of disc golf course.

Other Thoughts: As the review title states, I have a very slight preference for the Whipping Post course. As mentioned in that review, I think the two courses here at Paw Paw are similiar in so many ways to the two Circle R courses in Texas. Both are privately owned by wonderful hosts. Both are ungodly long and difficult! Both will challenge the biggest arms. If you enjoyed Paw Paw, then by all means, make a road trip to the Texas hill country. LEGAL NOTICE: I received no financial consideration of any kind from the Circle R Ranch folks for these plugs.

I'm a Whipping Post kinda guy

8/11/2007   3/6/2008
Review By: John Merhi
Pros: Your host and hostess. All the other pros I mentioned in my Whipping Post review.
Cons: The Gauntlet. Every time I play it, it's the same thing. Five guys step up to the tee, 5 guys throw a two finger roller. 5 guys walk to their lie, pick up, and throw another two finger roller. All 5 then walk to their lie again, and at least 4 of the 5 throw a two-finger roller. Sorry, but I rank this hole 36 out of 36.
Other Thoughts: You're in heaven here. My silliness about not liking the Gauntlet is MEANINGLESS in the overall picture that is Paw Paw. Welcome to Heaven. Look for me on the Whipping Post. I like it better than the Woodshed. Similar to liking a Lamborghini over a Ferrari.