Fairmont, WV
Orange Crush Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #16 (Taken 9/2010)

Rush to Crush

1    8/26/2014   9/20/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Orange Crush plays through the edges of Morris Park's wild, wooded, mountainous feeling hillsides. There are cool DISCatcher baskets with orange rims, and occasionally they are boosted off the ground on block pillars (1, 8). Getting to the pin position isn't always easy, because trees abound throughout the course. Gravel tees were serviceable, and short and long were available. I played the long tees, and actually shot 2 under par (63), according to the scorecard I printed. One of my all time best first rounds at any course. Tight fairways, and sloping fairways are tricky to negotiate. Distance on a number of holes is a bit longer than average, and terrain is not exactly favorable for kind skips, rolls, or bounces. I liked hole number 8 and the pedestal basket there. The back nine has great holes in succession. 10 was killer, and 11 was really fun, also. Steep downhill drop in elevation on hole hole 14, 377', fun drive unless you catch a tree. There are not any holes you can sleep on here, but there are ways to get it done.
Cons: Late August afternoon heat was getting up there. Hiking this one took a good bit of energy. There is some serious rough in spots, and bad bounces can really cost you. The tees are not premium, but work ok. Dogs must be leashed. Parking was kind of weird.
Other Thoughts: I thought every hole of the Orange Crush course is good or great, and the is another 18 course on site. Seth Burton Memorial DGC is also highly rated (with red baskets), I regret I didn't stay and play it as well. Both course layouts are convenient 9 hole loops, allowing for mixing and matching. I might say I liked the back nine a better on Orange Crush. Morris Park is a double course, bonus disc golf destination.

Superbly Technical and Maintained

5+    9/8/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: -Located in a very well maintained park that contains multiple pavilions, a few children's play areas, a walking/running path around the park, and hiking paths through the woods. The course is very conveniently located next to Seth Burton Memorial. Both courses circle around the park, with Seth Burton circling counter-clockwise directly around the park and Orange Crush circling clockwise around the park lower down the mountain
-The course is in a gorgeous setting
-Signage is spectacular here, could not have been any better in my opinion. I'd like to see a course this heavily wooded match the ease of navigation that's present at Orange Crush. Tee signs are in great shape and include pars and lengths from both tees and for both tee positions. They also very accurately display where the pin is which can be helpful on some of the holes. After every hole, signs point you to both the long and the short tees for the next hole. Very easy to navigate with these signs.
-Tees are gravel but feel great as the gravel is tightly packed and they are comfortably long and wide. Two sets (white and blue) for each hole. Multiple tees give great variety, their is a significant difference in the level of difficulty between blue and white. There are a few holes where the blue tee is simply 20 feet behind the white, but at least half of the holes have the blue and white tees in completely different spots, giving different looks and variety.
-Baskets are DISCatcher, in great shape, and with an orange band to make them much easier to spot in the thick woods. There aren't any real death putt scenarios here, but pin positions are thoughtfully and technically placed. Holes 1 and 8 are sometimes set on top of old stone fireplaces depending on the pin position, which is a cool feature. Pin positions are often and routinely changed.
-Benches for almost every hole
-The technicality of this course is tremendous, and you will experience a great variety of unique and fun holes. Great importance is placed on your drive, as there are no give-away easy upshots. While most of the holes aren't very long, you will be greatly challenged on pretty much every throw between the elevation changes and the tight, heavily wooded, and twisting fairways. The course is very heavily wooded, and while every hole is a great challenge, there are no holes that seem unfair - every fairway is very well defined and you get a fantastic shot selection throughout the course. Much thought goes into each throw - very technical!
-A great deal of care has gone into this course, and the maintenance is tremendous. I have never played here when the rough was bad, even though it is in the thick woods and could easily be that way without care. Every time I play here, the rough is even more reduced and sticks and weeds have been chopped down and burned. This makes it much easier to find discs. Whoever takes care of this course probably deserves a raise.
-Located right off I-79 (less than 1/2 mile)
Cons: -There isn't a lot of room for parking on a crowded day (usually just weekend afternoons is when this might be a problem)
-No bathrooms near the beginning of the course/where you park. When you leave the woods and walk from 9-10, there will be a bathroom on your right.
-Since most of the holes slope down from right to left, bad kicks off trees could have you discs sailing far down on a few holes (most notably 1, 4, and 6)
-I would give the course itself a 5 if it had a few challenging but more open holes out of the woods. Sometimes, this course can really beat you up and it would be refreshing to play a few more open holes. The wooded holes are that good to deserve a 5, the course could just use a little more variety to be perfect. If you want variety in your round, play the front 9 here and then the back 9 of Seth Burton - or vice versa - since they circle in opposite directions around the park.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun, challenging, and unique course. This is woods' golf at it's best. You feel as if you are deep into the woods for most of the course, but the park road is not too far off. Be prepared to see wildlife here. I've never seen any snakes but see deer every time I play here. Last time I saw three packs of deer on three different holes. This is a heart-pumping hike in the woods as well, bring lots of water.

Brutal but Amazing.

2-4    7/9/2013   7/13/2013
Review By: Qikly
Pros: In the interest of cutting to the chase: this is an amazing course in a gorgeous setting that you should play if given at least a hint of a chance to do so. It also makes for a brutal round of disc golf.

Now, for a bit more detail.

Woods is the name of the game here, as every hole is played in the forest. While fairway paths are often tight and unforgiving, I was surprised at the variety of possible lines and shots available if I looked beyond the obvious lane. Some of these ended up being safer than those the hole was suggesting. To have this kind of shot variety in such a densely wooded environment is a testament to the design and maintenance of the course - the rough certainly seems to me to have been thinned out to allow for multiple routes and relatively reasonable shots from off the fairway (YMMV here - there's definitely the potential for some nasty lies). This variety was a pleasant surprise based on my expectations. Even absurd shanks landing far off the beaten path - which will almost undoubtedly happen - often allow for ways back into play if you're gutsy and capable enough. These chances to redeem yourself lead to some potentially epic upshots that can turn every hole into a memorable experience. One small example: I hit my first tomahawk ever as a desperate attempt to get out of a particularly bad spot on a descending hole on the back nine (16, I believe) and was rewarded with an improbably reasonable putt for par. I still can't believe I pulled that shot off.

In my opinion, the difficulty of this course can't be over-emphasized, but it nevertheless avoids being unfair. I think the uniqueness of the holes, whose strong character proves to be more interesting than just blandly difficult, coupled with the beauty of the environment, are what have prevented my rounds here from feeling like the beatings they were. Plus, there's enough variation in lengths and density of trees throughout the course that good scores are often possible as long as you take advantage of the available opportunities. Still, pars almost always feel well-earned.

There's about as much variety as you could hope for considering this course plays completely in the woods. The holes feature a gamut of lengths, elevation, degrees of woodedness, and tight versus more open windows. The alternate pin locations and multiple tees only add to this, though I can't imagine playing this course from the blues at some points.

Great signage makes navigation a snap, which is quite an accomplishment at some points.

While the tees are gravel, they're so tightly packed that they might as well be concrete. Footing is very sure, even on holes with dramatic elevation changes. Factor in the fact that the forest canopy is dense enough to block out even a moderate rain - I've played here while it was raining and hardly felt it at all - and I'd consider these tees to be very reliable.

The course is about as well-tended as it could be. Debris and overgrowth have been minimized on my visits, and the rough has been well thinned out. Some of the baskets near slopes feature barriers to prevent drastic rollaways, which can be very welcome.

I had an awesome, lengthy encounter with a group of deer the first time I was out here that made a memorable impact on me. It seemed very fitting for the forested environment, and only added to the awesomeness of this course.
Cons: The only true criticism I could levee on the course's design is its lack of any holes outside of the woods. With Seth Burton available, the imperative for this is greatly lessened (and the reviewer who suggested alternating between the courses every nine holes provides a great way to alleviate this problem), but within the context of Orange Crush itself, more variety could only contribute to the awesomeness. That said, I think OC is unique and varied enough to overcome a lack of a change of pace on this front.

The difficulty is high enough to be a deal breaker for some: there's a lot of room for frustration and repeated tree-hitting, especially by newbies. There are few if any easy holes on this course, at least not for a 850ish rated player such as myself, and even on the easier holes there's plenty of opportunity for disaster to strike. Again, I think the course's beauty and intriguing challenges make the difficulty enjoyable rather than frustrating, but I can see someone who is hung up on their score getting very downtrodden over the course of a round.

The tight, technical nature of this course's lines places a heavy emphasis on midranges, especially neutral ones. I've rarely thrown drivers here. Not a big deal, but the course does rule out a certain portion of my bag from the get-go.

Navigating this course is a workout; it's a hike through the woods as much as a round of disc golf. This could easily be a pro - it was for me - but it's worth noting that not everyone can comfortably play a round here. Be sure to bring lots of water, especially in warmer weather.

Whatever the strength of these criticisms, they're ultimately minor in light of how unique an experience this course provides.
Other Thoughts: In general, the front nine play a little bit friendlier than the back nine, and have some real birdie opportunities (such as 3 and 8), depending on pin placement.

Overall, I think this is a unique and special course that I would encourage anyone to play. If you're worried about the difficulty, just keep the competitiveness to a minimum and focus on enjoying the experience.

crushed

1    6/8/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: LBC19
Pros: nice layout, signs on every tee, long and short tee option,nice quiet park right off highway!
Cons: disc loss very possible,
Other Thoughts: my friend and I were on a road trip to mt morris for the motocross,had some extra time before the race started soooo of course search for a disc golf course! This course was so easy to find (watch the sharp turn into the park) loved the front nine THEN we found out what the orange crush was all about! Every hole was tough! tight! down the hill,up the hill(a good workout) disc hard to find with all the growth so staying on the fairway is a must! all in all the toughest course I have ever played! If you are in the area you got to check it out!

Orange Crush might leave you feelin' blue

2-4    12/22/2012   12/23/2012
Review By: jblough
This review was updated on 6/16/2013
Pros: Lord almighty--what a course! So worth the 2.5 hour drive.

Perhaps it's petty to list this first, but those orange DISCatchers are delicious. I can only imagine how well they stand out in the foliage-rich seasons.

Signage is superb here, from the tee signs to the next tee signs. I played in about 2 inches of snow and was worried about navigation issues; however, I had few problems. With the snow down, it was hard to tell how well the tees and fairways were kept, but I didn't have any issues when I played.

Orange Crush is about as technical as they come. One may say "too technical," but I'll get to that later. Nearly every shot has a very tight and specific line to get to the basket. No lucky shots here, folks. If you can't thread narrow fairways on a variety of routes, you'll have a sore throat from cursing. These 18 holes definitely reward skill and punish you if you're depending on luck. Also, as my scorecard showed, there's an element of risk/reward often times on the approaches. I never had such a bipolar scorecard, with birdies on some holes and double/triple bogies on others.

Slight hyzer/anhyzer doglegs, sharp hyzer/anhyzer doglegs, and S-shots define a lot of the lines on the front nine. Holes 1 and 8 do a good job of utilizing stone pillars to elevate the basket about 10 feet above the ground, making putting more interesting. Thus, the theme with the front nine is navigating a variety of tight lines.

The name of the game on the back nine is elevation and I mean BIG elevation. Holes 13 (named "the descent") and 14 (named "the ascent") clear ultra steep ravines to get to the basket, but what makes them incredible is the distance along with the elevation change. Hole #10 is another monster, as you need to navigate a narrow 600+ ft corridor with hardwoods looking to deflect even the most perfect shot. They're as beautiful as they are demoralizing!
Cons: As I said before, the entire course is uber technical. The super narrow fairways and steep ravines gave me flashbacks to the Paw Paw courses. Needless to say, there's no open shots here. It'd be nice to have about 4-5 wide open bomb shots (for super long drives or rollers) to help you restore confidence in your game between the wooded holes. This lack of terrain variety, simply, is what makes this a 4 and not a 5 star course.

The course is much a test on your mental game as it is your physical game. Expect a strong arm, as many holes exceed 350ft. What's most taxing, however, is the steep hikes up and downhill (and the walk from the front nine to the back nine). Wear good shoes and get in shape if you wanna play here!

I also had issues finding hole #2 initially, but once I found it, I had no issues with any other holes in terms of navigation.
Other Thoughts: Man, this would be a heck of a place for tournaments. I'd love to see the pros play at the annual Seth Burton Memorial sometime. You obviously need a well-packed bag, a clean mind, and a short memory to succeed here. This course destroyed me when I played (the snow didn't help, either) but I still really enjoyed the layout. I'd love to get back here and try it out in the summer.

It's probably the best course I've ever played when it comes to combining elevation and technicality. As stated before, what separates it from the greats is the lack of variety on terrain and shot selection (few opportunities for rollers, thumbers, etc.).

I Must Crush You! - Ivan Drago

2-4    5/28/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 7/4/2014
Pros: 18 holes traversing the foothill of a mountain with extreme elevation, length, and toughness through the heavy woods with par 3's, 4's, and 5's. Short and Long boxed gravel tees, and 2 pin positions for each hole, and nice tee signs. Navigation was fairly easy with well marked signs for the next tee shorts or longs. Sweet bright Orange baskets making them fairly easy to spot if you are in viewable range. Fresh spring water fountain across from the pavilion/ parking lot with course map. Bathrooms .25 mile down park road to the left from pavilion. Course is easy to get right off the highway and the town has food and other amenities within a few minutes drive.
Cons: Not a con to me, but this could probably be the worst course to take a rank beginner. Blind shots/landings plus rough = high potential for disc loss, I lost 2 discs, hole 2, and hole 13. A few holes have some really tight 'fairways", and some of the fairways have almost as much rough as the the rough in a few places with waist high grass/weeds. Pesky biting flies followed me around the whole course. The long walk from 9 to 10. The gravel tees aren't great, but not terrible. There was some tall grass growing on some of the long pads.

*Update* 6-27-14, the fairways were in much better shape and rough wasn't as bad, I did lose one disc on hole 16 from the long tee, kicked left somewhere across the ravine. I did notice a fair amount of poison ivy along the edges of hole 17 and 18. There is a little poison ivy on the rest of the course, but it's sparse.
Other Thoughts: I felt like Rocky battling Ivan Drago over 18 rounds, this course literally crushed me physically and barely finished due to dehydration! I ran out of water (24oz) around hole 8, after hole 16 I sat on the bench to stretch and then my left leg completely spasmed up for about 15 minutes of pain and wondering how I'm going to make it back to the parking lot. I'm sure it didn't help me that I played Whispering Falls, and both Paw Paw courses the day before. It was some 90 degrees and 100% humidity with zero wind both days....ugh!!!

This course does slightly favor LHBH or RHFH due to traveling the same general direction around the mountain. You can also say there are a number of holes that favor RHBH. I threw about 60/40 FH/BH. I can see how a player that does not have a shot with opposite spin would be terrorized with the fade and kicks off trees going way downhill.

There are tons of wildlife and scenic views here! Almost stepped on a baby deer, it was so small I thought it was bunny at first. Lots of birds, squirrels, ants, spiders, bees and deer. Beware of copperheads, saw one eat a squirrel on the Seth Burton course on site. This is also bear, bobcat, and coyote country, so don't go trying to pet any kitties or doggies you might find.

The course never lets up on the punishment physically or mentally, so bring your A game physically and mentally! I found the course to be very challenging and fun to play with the extreme elevation and terrain playing uphill, downhill, across slope and some big ravines. There is nothing close to an open hole here as every hole has heavily lined fairways, but each hole always feels fresh and never repetitive due to the elevation changes. Check out the course vid in the media tab for an idea, but it's hard to see how extreme the elevation changes are on video with camera that must be angled to fit in the frame. Overall Orange Crush is one of the most EPIC courses I've played. I'm not crazy, since my mom had me tested, but because I'm apparently a masochist I can't wait to come back and go another couple rounds with Ivan Drago trying to crush me!

*Update* 6-27-14* My second match with Orange Crush wasn't quite as brutal but it was close. I had 48oz of water this time and still ran out by hole 15. Once again it was hot and humid and I had just played 9 top notch courses over the previous four days. I started having a few muscle spasms but nothing close to as severe as last time.

There were several groups playing Seth Burton, but nobody was playing Orange Crush, you are likely to have this course to yourself in the summer just as I did last time, and I like that.

Holy Crap!

1    4/10/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Orange Baskets - Yeah, bright orange baskets that show up wonderfully in the woods.

Two pads for each hole. This course does a good job of varying angles and distances for the long pads. Sometimes it simply adds distance, sometimes the angles change, and sometimes a tighter tee shot is created. Well done.

Plenty of signage. Decent signs at the tees showing distances and hole layout. Also,plenty of next tee signs and Orange arrows leading you to the next tee.

Use of landscape. Holy crap!! You will be throwing tight lines, long lines, a d up and down lines. Tremendous use of elevation. There are some holes that force you to make uphill shots, and others that let you sail, a disc dramatically down at the basket.

Good variety of shots. There are straight tight shots and shots that require you to shape some shots. There are even flags on the baskets for shots that are difficult to see from the pad or fairway.

Cons: Long walk from #9 to #10. They almost need a tram or something like it.

Crushed gravel tee pads. They were in fine shape, but I always prefer concrete.

Seems to have a lot of uphill walking, and only a handful of downhill throws. Fairly good workout. Bring water and rest up if you don't enjoy a hike.

Other Thoughts: This is simple a great course to play. It can be tough from the short pads, and often brutal from the long pads. The front 9 was tightly wooded and somewhat RHFH or LHBH friendly. #3 was a sweet downhill shot with a nice tight bend in the fairway. #8 is a tough shot for the longs or an ace run from the short tee. The basket it elevated on a small rock pedestal.

The back 9 is one of the best group of holes I haveplayed. # 10 is 520' of tight, downhill fairway that simply looks great from the tee. #11 is an even steeper down hill shot. #12 makes you head back up hill, but then you are rewarded with an AWESOME downhill blast of either 298' or 445' on #13. Just a beautiful hole.

#15 could be considered almost an unfair hole with many trees throughout the fairway, but even with the tight gaps, par is achievable for most. #16 is another tremendous down hill shot with a hidden basket next to a small creek. Pretty hole from short, but a tee shot needs to cross the park road from the long.

I loved this course. It is tough, and a great workout. Sometimes the walks seem a little too long. Then you get to play one of those downhill holes, and you forget all the sweat you broke walking uphill. This course is not for the meek, or the weak. It is tight, tough and physical. But it is well designed and has a handful of great holes. If you are cruising up or down I-79 this is a must play. Plus it has the more tame Seth Burton Memorial on the same property. Combined this a a spectacular 1-2 punch. simply one of the best 2 course sites I have seen.

1    5/30/2011   6/3/2011
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: Great usage of what the land offers.... Though the terrain might be extreeme for some, I found the DGC VERY challenging and didn't mind the extreeme terrain because they had benches at every hole and ya knew you we're playing a great DGC. I liked the elevated baskets sprinkled around the course by using the old fireplaces that we're already present in the park.

(Orange) Next tee signs are present at every hole and course is easily navigational.

Benches at every hole. (I can't express this enough. I don't care what kind of DGC you playing, benches are essential and appreciated)

Long, flush with the ground tee pads. I also saw some serious volenteer work on the drainage around a few tee pads. (Nice, very nice work).

I liked their bridges (metal and wooden).

2 tee pads, 2 basket positions on every hole.
Cons: Gravel tee pads. (At least they didn't use large gravel in the front of the tee pad).

Though there is a mirror as you exit Morris Park, there still is a blind spot to your right and everyone should exit the park very carefully.

The rough is to be avoided in some places as its pretty thick. (behind the basket on # 18 comes to mind as well as a few other places. I lost a stratus # 11, because I turned it over to much. My fault, my throw, but I paid the price of entering the rough and looking for my disc. If anyone finds that disc would you please give it to someone that DOESN'T have a disc to play)
Other Thoughts: The Fairmont Disc Golf club is so lucky to have 2 (8, if you play both tees and both pin positions at both Disc Golf courses)
Championship caliber DGC in their backyard. And why is that.... They got great land to use for a DGc, and they also have good leadership and strong support from it's members. Keep up the hard journey to what your doing at the courses. Your love shows and it's greatly appreciated by this visitor/ tourist.

I'll be back.

A Pleasant Valley Surprise

1    9/11/2010   2/24/2011
Review By: vslaugh
Pros: I went to Orange Crush a little skeptical, worried it would be gimmicky, untamed, and simply dangerous. But I was pleasantly surprised to find it instead a unique gem with some fantastic disc golf shots you won't find anywhere else. Orange Crush is the second course of Morris Park, which is basically a big round hill just off I-79. Seth Burton Memorial DGC plays on the crown of the hill, and Orange Crush plays below and around that course through dense woods on the steep hillside, taking advantage of the hillside's severe gullies and veins.

The course is very challenging yet still fun to play. The course places a premium on control: hitting narrow lanes or avoiding danger to one side or the other.

Holes 10-14 comprise one of my favorite stretches of disc golf holes anywhere for being so difficult yet enjoyable and memorable. I voted Hole 8 as my favorite, though, as the tee shot is a great disc golf shot given the multiple routes, slight decline to the basket, and green in the middle of a small forest clearing.
Cons: It seems hole distances and pars need some more time to be determined. I'm not sure what skill level the different tees cater to, but it doesn't now seem obvious. Once they are set and the course is adjusted accordingly, I think I will enjoy this course even more.

Teepads are a little rustic, but really didn't bother me as you're not going to be making huge run-ups anyway.

I felt like a couple holes (6,7,9) need a few more trees cleared for them to have fairer lanes.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course is quite an accomplishment. I'm ready to pull the trigger and upgrade this course to a 4.5 once it matures a little more, as its terrain's severity really reminds me of why I like disc golf...shotmaking.

Oh, and the orange-banded baskets are a nice touch, too. Good choice.

Aptly named

5+    10/16/2010   10/21/2010
Review By: tistoude
This review was updated on 2/22/2011
Pros: Updates as of 2/20/11*

Located in a nice quiet park that is very convenient to I-79.

This is a very pretty course that meanders through thick woods. It is very challenging and has a ton of elevation changes.

Even though this course is in heavy woods all but maybe one or two holes have very distinct fairways.

There are two tees per hole that provide significantly (although both are difficult)different looks at the hole and multiple pin positions. The tees are not in the best of shape but I have never had any problems with them.

Very nice Orange Innova Discatchers.

The holes are very well designed and almost every single one of them has an elevation change on them. Every hole falls into the "techincal" category since they are all in the woods. Each hole call for some nice shot shaping and a few of the longer holes really require you to land accurately. This course really makes you put thought into your shots.

Orange crush is never busy but there is a great local crew that takes care of this course. Everytime that I play it the course looks a little better groomed, and a little more broken in.

Very challenging pin positions, elevated, danger behind, on slopes and well protected.
*A few new pin positions have been added.

Decent bathroom facilites located in two places in the park.

Navigation through these very thick woods is very easy with well marked paths and signs pointing you toward the different tees.

*New tee signs have been installed on Orange Crush. They are very accurate and helpful
Cons: Long walk between holes 9 and 10. You have to walk along the road for 4 minutes or so to the next tee.

Hole #4. As I said before most of the holes have distinct fairways. This is not one of them. It is a brutal uphill pinball hole. Luck is a big factor on this hole. Clear a couple of trees and it would be a gem.

Physically demanding. This is not a con for me personally but would really limit any handicapped or out of shape/unhealthy people from playing it.

Garbage and broken glass. It appears that this park might be a local hang out for high school kids (although I have never seen them) because there is alot of small garbage and broken glass on the first couple holes of the course. *Most of the debris appears to have been cleaned up. A local told me that there is still some work to do on the first couple holes but that it is getting better. With the ground covered in leaves no debris was apparent.
Other Thoughts: I really love Orange Crush. The fun factor on this course is extremely high. I always look forward to playing it.

The course plays through the heavy woods surrounding the park proper. It also plays around the second course located in this park, The Seth Burton disc golf course. Most people play these courses seperately but you are able to transfer from one nine on one course to a nine on the other without any problem. It is a great way to mix up the rounds. If you are going to play the courses seperately, I always suggest playing Orange Crush first since it is much harder and more tiring. If you play them reveresed and are a little fatigued going into your Orange Crush round it could mean alot of trouble.

Great Course. Very Challenging. Very Fun.