Algona, IA
Ambrose A. Call Park Share
Uploaded By: erickmj Hole #13 (Taken 6/2007)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #13 Tee: Park roads are used as fairways

Decent course.

1    10/31/2013   11/2/2013
Review By: rocker13
Pros: Only 18 hole course in Algona. Technical turning shots. For locals this is probably best course they have access to.
Cons: When I was there, they had the map removed so I couldn't find hole 6 or 11. The signs that are supposed to show you the map of the holes need replaced and are often very hard to read. Some shots use the road as the fairway, not good if you are not using a decent quality plastic.
Other Thoughts: I thought this course was really fun myself. Sometimes it was frustrating to figure out where to throw to but for the most part I figured it out. Many shots require you to be able to either throw side arm, left handed, or be able to curve a disk right. Tons of woods, so be ready for that.

Dissapointing

1    6/6/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -This course is set in a nice, scenic, out of the way location.
-Parking lot, bathrooms
-Not a lot else at the park so you should be left alone. The only others I saw were three girls tanning in the open field and a few joggers.
Cons: -Small and very old tee pads. They are crumbling and nearly useless.
-The signs are old and mostly unreadable.
-The baskets are original and are not up to current standards.
-Some holes have the park road as a fairway. This is a horrible idea for many reasons. First, if you land in the fairway your disc gets chewed up. Second, if you miss, you get poison ivy. Third, you might hit cars, people, etc on the road.
-They have beautiful woods all over and yet hardly use them.
-Navigation is horrible. The signs are bad and you can always see multiple baskets so you don't know what you are aiming for. I am still not sure I played the entire course in the right order.
-Could lose a disc, get poison ivy, etc in the thick woods.

Other Thoughts: Iowa needs to charge a dollar or two for their state parks and put the money back into the disc golf courses. This isn't the first time I have found an old crap course in a nice location. This course could be a 5 with the proper care and equipment. That being said, the layout would change entirely, I am only commenting on the quality of the land. I was overall very disappointed with this course. It had a 3 rating and I feel that mine is generous. The other course in Algona is equally bad if not worse.

Secluded State Park

2-4    6/26/2009   9/26/2009
Review By: Blonde Thunder
Pros: Very secluded course that is set in a state park. The course is at least a half-mile off the road through a very old and beautiful forest (I saw a deer on my way out).
The course is very tight and lined with trees.
Camping is available in the park (which could cause problems when being used for camping since some holes call for shots right over camp sites) but nobody was camping when I was there.
Many of the holes have very unique layouts that caused me to think and plan out my shots.
Beautiful surroundings and well manicured.
Concrete tees.
A small walk through the nature trails from one basket to the next tee is a great sight-seeing break.
Cons: maybe a bit buggy during certain times of year, but well worth it for the scenery!
A couple holes were hard to find my first run through, I actually didnt find one hole til my second run.
Other Thoughts: Fun course!