Anderson, CA
Anderson River Park Share
Uploaded By: Adam Schneider Hole #1 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #1

Anderson Just Has That Grungy Feel!

1    10/14/2015   10/18/2015
Pros: Although for the most part I liked the golf at Anderson, the overall vibe of the place was one of neglect. Everything, except the baskets, felt a little old and run down. I think it started with # 1 and the course sign. There's this big sign with no map and no information. And there's a tee pad and I'm trying to figure out if that one is being used or which way do I throw. I finally find the # 1 basket and realize that I've parked my car right in the way.

There was a group playing ahead of me. By observing them, I figured out to cross the street to play the holes on that side. # 2 had a laminated sign. # 3 had no sign. # 4 had no sign. Holes 2 through 6 play across hard packed, mostly open dirt. These are not impressive holes. # 7 was probably 800' throwing across a parking lot. Yuck!

The baskets are lovely DGA with orange catchers. There are nice big concrete tee pads and more nice benches than any course in America.

Starting with # 8, I start to see the charm of this course. The holes through this section offer challenge and various degrees of creativity. I thought # 10 was a fun hole offering players two distinct choices, a safer choice or can you cut the corner? I liked it a lot.
Cons: Overall rundown feeling of park.
Missing signs.
Makes a very bad first impression.
Holes on other side of street are not impressive.
Parking issue at # 1.
Other Thoughts: If I had anything to do with Anderson Disc Golf Course, I would be pleading with the parks department to bring in some large boulders/concrete barricades to block off the # 1 fairway. How often are cars parked right in the way? If a fairly experienced player such as myself (Does 36 years playing and 800 courses played qualify me as experienced?) can make the mistake of parking there, dog walkers and other casuals must leave their cars there quite often.

I'm a little perplexed as to how so many reviewers can ignore so many of Anderson's glaring faults? I don't see these as little nit-picky problems. While Anderson River Park DGC certainly has her charms she also has her warts.