Anderson, CA
Anderson River Park Share
Uploaded By: Adam Schneider Hole #1 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #1

Anderson River Park

1    2/2/2013   2/2/2013
Review By: Hazer
This review was updated on 2/18/2013
Pros: 3'x7' cement tees. Nice signs on most holes. Rough is unforgiving. Some baskets are very well protected. Nice baskets with hole number on them. Hole 5: interesting green with marked OB all around, forcing you to land right near the basket or lay up on the right. Hole 7: long par 4 with a road running along the left of the fairway and a telephone pole on the right, both marked OB beyond, creating a bottle-necking fairway as you approach the basket. Some netting and fences around certain tees to protect players from flying discs. Multiple pins on several holes. Some wooden poles put on on a few holes acting as obstacles and guarding baskets; kinda cool and forces shot shaping. Good variety of hole types, long and short, and not favoring any one throwing style. Pretty technical on many holes. Some holes are pretty open and some are moderately wooded. Pretty easy to navigate. Garbage cans and benches throughout the course. Porta-potty at hole 1.
Cons: Many signs are missing. Many holes are wide open. Most baskets aren't protected well at all. Some holes play very close to one another. Hole 9: odd u-shaped hole, forcing you to go to the right around a mando about 50' in front of the tee, while the basket is about 100' back to the left from the tee pad. Very odd hole, and dangerous if anyone is on hole 7 for both parties. Inaccurate distances on a couple signs. Could use a few 'next tee' signs in a couple spots. Course could use maintenance; a lot of blackberry bushes and dead brush piles around. Looks ugly in spots. Next to a sewage treatment plant, so you get some great smells on holes 1-7. A lot of holes offer little challenge.
Other Thoughts: This is a decent course, and with a little work it could be better. Some additional pin positions would be nice on some holes. A little cleaning up around holes 10-18 would make the course look a lot better. The overall "feel" of the course for me was not good. There was a lot of trash around, the course was not well maintained, and there appeared to be some evidence of vandalism in some areas of the course. Also, as I was walking up to hole 4's tee, some rednecks parked their pickup truck right in the middle of the fairway, then got out and stood next to their truck. I yelled "coming down" and threw over their heads, but they were not happy and mean mugged me the whole time I was anywhere near them. It seemed as if I was a burden to them. I don't like feeling that way when playing disc golf.

Short Fun

1    1/23/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - Good concrete teepads
- Nice baskets on every hole with the tops and botoms powder coated bright orange which makes them easy to see from a distance
- Friendly locals
- Good Signs, but they could use a dial to tell pin position
- Alternate holes can be played to tonepoles located throughout the course
- Good for beginers
- One par 4
- Not too far from I-5
- Many ace-able holes around the course (I chained out on 18)
- Unique "U-Turn" hole, in which you have to go past a mando then practicly turn completley around
- Neat use of OB around hole 15's green
- Well done raised green on hole 16
Cons: - Most holes are prety short
- Crowded mostly with large groups
- No real elevation change, but the little bit that is there is used well
- A couple holes, just throw through an open field
- Homeless people on the course stand in places where they are likely to get hit
- Holes 3-6 are across the road from hole 2 so you can very easyly end up skiping quite a few holes if you don't know to cross the road there
- Blackberrys get prety bad in some spots
- Watch for cars driving on the road during holes neer it
Other Thoughts: As the only course in Anderson, and a better course than both the ones I have played in Redding (about 10 miles away), It's not hard to see why this course is so crowded. The course can play realy fast if you can get groups to let you pass them. I played it in about an hour by myself, but I did have to follow a few groups around.

I got a little lost and ended up playing hole 8 right after hole 2, then noticed that the tee sign for the hole I steped up to had a 9 on it. The group that was going to let me pass them there told me where I had made my mistake, not crossing the road after throwing hole 2. If you were walking it naturaly you would want to walk up to hole 8's teepad, not make a walk across the road to play some holes that are wide open and around 300', but I do understand why, so that they could get a full 18 holes here.

Hole 9 was a fun idea, there was a mando on the left side of a narrowing gap, then the hole opened up, but the basket was to the left and back almost furthur than the tee making you throw a giant "U-turn".

There was not realy any big uphill or downhill holes out here, but they did put one basket up on a raised green, and another in a sunken green surounded by OB on all sides.

If I were going to rate this course against the other Redding area courses it would be a 4 maby more, but rating it against all the courses I've played I'm going to have to put it at a strong 3. Don't take this wrong people a 3 is still a high rating, I'm just trying to keep it honest.