Anderson, CA
Anderson River Park Share
Uploaded By: Adam Schneider Hole #15 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #15 (teepad on the left in the background, basket on the right)

Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

2-4    5/17/2016   5/20/2016
Review By: pauldst
Pros: Some very interesting and challenging holes. Pretty good variety. Concrete tee pads. Good baskets with hole numbers. Flow is decent. Seems to make fairly good use of the space available. Appears to be some multiple pin positions. I did not see trash. Nice signs...where there are signs.
Cons: The signs: the signs are made of a wood post, a metal plate, and a plasticized paper hole diagram that is stuck on the metal plate. Less than half (maybe a third?) of the holes have complete and intact signs--some the paper is illegible or partly so, some the paper is gone, and a few the metal plate, or plate and post are gone (Hole 1 is one of the latter!). Making this problem even worse is that the available map does not match the course layout (on Hole 10, based on looking at the map, I threw at 12's basket, for example). Too many blackberry bushes. Too many blind throws. Although flow is not too bad, there are some places where fairways are too close to each other, possibly crossing or overlapping (I'm glad that I was playing when no one else was close to me on the course). Hole 4 crosses, and long Hole 7 plays along, an internal park road--seems to be low traffic, but then I played both times on weekday afternoons and still had to twice wait for traffic. Parking is kinda strange, poorly defined/organized, and could potentially interfere with the first hole.
Other Thoughts: Holes 2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, and 18 I thought particularly interesting, fun, challenging. Most of those, and a few others, go around corners. 9 is a left turn, sort of shaped like a "5" or a "U" with a tail. 10 is shaped like a "c". There is some nice use of trees near baskets. Hole 4 is rather wide open, and you have to throw over the park road, but the road and the way the basket is tucked behind a tree making it interesting. There are a few holes that I'm not sure that I could ever get par on, such as 11 and 18, but are still fun. Usually I figure that the 12 discs that fit in my bag are enough for any course (given that I can change what is in there before playing in order to fit the course and conditions), but on this course I used almost every disc and a few times wished that I had some other disc that had not fit in the bag.

This course cries out for help. It should be above average, and I would love to rate it higher. I plan to play it some more, but as much as possible on weekdays when it is not busy. If you are not local and are thinking of playing this course, you should get a local guide.

Anderson Just Has That Grungy Feel!

1    10/14/2015   10/18/2015
Pros: Although for the most part I liked the golf at Anderson, the overall vibe of the place was one of neglect. Everything, except the baskets, felt a little old and run down. I think it started with # 1 and the course sign. There's this big sign with no map and no information. And there's a tee pad and I'm trying to figure out if that one is being used or which way do I throw. I finally find the # 1 basket and realize that I've parked my car right in the way.

There was a group playing ahead of me. By observing them, I figured out to cross the street to play the holes on that side. # 2 had a laminated sign. # 3 had no sign. # 4 had no sign. Holes 2 through 6 play across hard packed, mostly open dirt. These are not impressive holes. # 7 was probably 800' throwing across a parking lot. Yuck!

The baskets are lovely DGA with orange catchers. There are nice big concrete tee pads and more nice benches than any course in America.

Starting with # 8, I start to see the charm of this course. The holes through this section offer challenge and various degrees of creativity. I thought # 10 was a fun hole offering players two distinct choices, a safer choice or can you cut the corner? I liked it a lot.
Cons: Overall rundown feeling of park.
Missing signs.
Makes a very bad first impression.
Holes on other side of street are not impressive.
Parking issue at # 1.
Trash.
Other Thoughts: If I had anything to do with Anderson Disc Golf Course, I would be pleading with the parks department to bring in some large boulders/concrete barricades to block off the # 1 fairway. How often are cars parked right in the way? If a fairly experienced player such as myself (Does 36 years playing and 800 courses played qualify me as experienced?) can make the mistake of parking there, dog walkers and other casuals must leave their cars there quite often.

I'm a little perplexed as to how so many reviewers can ignore so many of Anderson's glaring faults? I don't see these as little nit-picky problems. While Anderson River Park DGC certainly has her charms she also has her warts.

Fun In Anderson

1    3/24/2013   4/9/2013
Review By: zofo
Pros: This course had many challenges. Open holes to air it out, trees for precision, and hidden holes that required great approach shots to set you up. This course is very challenging with long drives and ace runs. The locals were very helpful. Got us on track after hole 3...gots to cross the road. They gave us tips on each hole being that it was our first time playing here. Hole number 9 was very interesting as it is a complete "U"! Hole totally blind and mandos making for a fun run. You get into the trees from there on some pull out your tricks. All in all a very fun course and great locals.
Cons: The park is very big so drive to the most southern end. This is were the course starts. park in the gravel. We got confused and parked where we were supposed to shoot hole 1. I didnt think it was easy to navigate lucky we had locals in front of us to follow. You do play a few holes near a road that had a few speedsters. Some trash on holes but it is a public park so kinda expected.
Other Thoughts: This was the second course we played on a 4 course day. It was way more challenging than Enterprise in Redding. It is very close to Enterprise and Dog Island in Red Bluff. This makes for a good 3 course day trip. As I stated very cool locals that were glad to help us out.

Anderson River Park

1    2/2/2013   2/2/2013
Review By: Hazer
This review was updated on 2/18/2013
Pros: 3'x7' cement tees. Nice signs on most holes. Rough is unforgiving. Some baskets are very well protected. Nice baskets with hole number on them. Hole 5: interesting green with marked OB all around, forcing you to land right near the basket or lay up on the right. Hole 7: long par 4 with a road running along the left of the fairway and a telephone pole on the right, both marked OB beyond, creating a bottle-necking fairway as you approach the basket. Some netting and fences around certain tees to protect players from flying discs. Multiple pins on several holes. Some wooden poles put on on a few holes acting as obstacles and guarding baskets; kinda cool and forces shot shaping. Good variety of hole types, long and short, and not favoring any one throwing style. Pretty technical on many holes. Some holes are pretty open and some are moderately wooded. Pretty easy to navigate. Garbage cans and benches throughout the course. Porta-potty at hole 1.
Cons: Many signs are missing. Many holes are wide open. Most baskets aren't protected well at all. Some holes play very close to one another. Hole 9: odd u-shaped hole, forcing you to go to the right around a mando about 50' in front of the tee, while the basket is about 100' back to the left from the tee pad. Very odd hole, and dangerous if anyone is on hole 7 for both parties. Inaccurate distances on a couple signs. Could use a few 'next tee' signs in a couple spots. Course could use maintenance; a lot of blackberry bushes and dead brush piles around. Looks ugly in spots. Next to a sewage treatment plant, so you get some great smells on holes 1-7. A lot of holes offer little challenge.
Other Thoughts: This is a decent course, and with a little work it could be better. Some additional pin positions would be nice on some holes. A little cleaning up around holes 10-18 would make the course look a lot better. The overall "feel" of the course for me was not good. There was a lot of trash around, the course was not well maintained, and there appeared to be some evidence of vandalism in some areas of the course. Also, as I was walking up to hole 4's tee, some rednecks parked their pickup truck right in the middle of the fairway, then got out and stood next to their truck. I yelled "coming down" and threw over their heads, but they were not happy and mean mugged me the whole time I was anywhere near them. It seemed as if I was a burden to them. I don't like feeling that way when playing disc golf.

First timer review!

1    4/8/2012   4/8/2012
Review By: yarnt2
Pros:
*Great layout
*Hole 18 ends near hole 1
*Good Atmosphere
*Pretty scenery
*Challenging
*Nets making sure people dont get hit
Cons:
*Some holes are in the way
*Signs are highly inaccurate
*Multiple holes are confusing, especially when some of them are using hole A and some B, Inconsistant
Other Thoughts: First time there. but it was a great experience... makes me wish I could throw further :)

Fun course just off I-5

5+    2/25/2011   1/26/2012
Review By: MikePinchico
Pros: This is a great little course that helps break up a long drive on I-5. Located next to the Sacramento River this course is carved out of what would be untamed riparian habitat. The course has nice cement tee pads with beautiful orange powder coated Mach III baskets. There is a course map in the parking lot and tee signs at most holes. This course is not made for distance and should not be regarded as such. This course is a perfect intermediate course that challenges the use of right and left throws. The locals are friendly and most are willing to let you join up to play with them. Since the course length is not too long this course can be played in an hour if the park is not crowded. Alternate pin locations at most holes are well thought out and there are tone poles in longer locations for a different play the second time around. This is a fun tournament course with OB added to make the course more challenging especially in the more open front holes.
Cons: There are an abundance of black berries and wild grape vines that can be a pain to get a disc out of. This course has also flooded during years of high rainfall. There is minimal poison oak and should be easy to avoid. Wear mosquito repellent during the spring time. During the rainy season the course gets pretty muddy so bring a towel to clean off your discs. Summer time can get very hot in the north valley, but the abundance of trees will give you plenty of shade. The front nine does play along the park road so caution should be used when cars are driving through. Bring water because there are no drinking fountains at the course.
Other Thoughts: Living in Chico this is a bit of a drive for me but throwing in a round at Red Buff's course makes for a good little trip. If you are traveling down the five and want to play two good courses this one and Black Butte Reservoir in Orland would make an excellent compliment to each other. There is a lot of wildlife at this course due to it's proximity to the Sac River so soak it in and enjoy.

Riparian Sweetness

5+    8/21/2011   8/21/2011
Review By: OldDog
Pros: The course is well marked and maintained - good tees and baskets
Lots of variety of holes - right and left curves, low ceilings, major overhand shots. This course has me using every type of tee shot I have and most of my discs go in the bag.
The holes are not incredibly long for the most part, but I consider this a moderate course length due to the challenges presented.
Cons: A couple of wide-open long holes that don't thrill me
Watch for cars on a couple of holes
Blackberries if you shank one
Other Thoughts: The river environment is beautiful with gorgeous valley oaks, many species of birds singing, and a lushness that is rare in this area. try it on a summer morning!
This is a sweet course! Not terribly busy most of the time, beautiful setting, and challenging holes in terms of disc control.

Fun, relaxing, well-designed

1    11/22/2010   4/4/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: Anderson River Park is a stellar 'short' par three course which is both extremely fun to play and pretty challenging at some points. This course is perfect for someone who wants to work on increasing their consistency off the tee in a variety of situations. The park is wooded enough to have clearly defined fairways which players must navigate but at the same time doesn't have rough that is too thick when a drive is shanked off-target. Its also got PLENTY of turns both right and left and a variety of angles from a complete U-turn to more subtle soft arcs. This makes for a perfect amateur/up-and-coming advanced player's course. The shorter distances to most holes don't really suit higher caliber players because there aren't any risks to 'going for it' - it will be a collection of birdies and pars on the scorecard for the most part. This isn't to say the course is without challenge, far from it, just not enough to keep top pros returning again and again.

Baskets: I usually don't comment on the amenities too much but the powder-coated orange DGA baskets just look sweet. They really stand out in the woods and green grass and you'll rarely be saying, "I think thats pin". The rest of the course matches and looks to be really new with nice teepads and mostly good signage.

Wildlife: We played this park in the evening after hitting up many other courses along I-5 south on the way to Santa Cruz. We saw several deer out playing as the sun was setting along with a few small woodland mice and tons of birds. I'd imagine this experience was a bit particular to the timing of our visit, but if the natural side is your thing, you'll want to hit up Anderson River near dusk or dawn - hopefully you'll spot some wildlife as well.
Cons: As I've said above, I think the main drawback here is the shortish nature of the course - with a set of long teepads for pro's (and a few par fours or fives mixed in) my rating for this course would likely increase dramatically. There just doesn't appear to be that much land for streching things out though as the course designer has done a fantastic job of maximizing the use of space. The course is SOLID as is for the skill range between 850-950.

Muddy: Several areas were muddy as we played through, even though the recent trend in weather was hot and dry for the past few days. My guess is that proximity to the river and the low terrain make mud a pretty consistent factor at the course.
Other Thoughts: This course has appeal on a number of different factors: it is relaxing, very fun, challenging (although short), well designed, beautiful, and on and on. I'd highly recommend this course to pretty much all players, although very experienced players are probably going to be ok with just one or two rounds before moving on.

Nice Park

5+    2/7/2011   2/7/2011
Review By: wildrivers
This review was updated on 2/8/2011
Pros: Lots of old growth tress, nice riperian area the course goes through. Lots of wildlife. All Holes have baskets, most have toms further back if want longer target. Nice tee pads. Great variety of throws.Next to the Sac.river and a great big park. Challangeing yet not so much so that you cant par most holes. Lots of variety to the course.
Cons: Too many empty beer cans laying around and full trash cans. Can be crowded on sunny days.
Other Thoughts: Most people who play here invite you to join them for a game. This is one of my favorite courses. Stroller friendly course. Heads up park patrol will ticket loss dogs if they see them.

Short Fun

1    1/23/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - Good concrete teepads
- Nice baskets on every hole with the tops and botoms powder coated bright orange which makes them easy to see from a distance
- Friendly locals
- Good Signs, but they could use a dial to tell pin position
- Alternate holes can be played to tonepoles located throughout the course
- Good for beginers
- One par 4
- Not too far from I-5
- Many ace-able holes around the course (I chained out on 18)
- Unique "U-Turn" hole, in which you have to go past a mando then practicly turn completley around
- Neat use of OB around hole 15's green
- Well done raised green on hole 16
Cons: - Most holes are prety short
- Crowded mostly with large groups
- No real elevation change, but the little bit that is there is used well
- A couple holes, just throw through an open field
- Homeless people on the course stand in places where they are likely to get hit
- Holes 3-6 are across the road from hole 2 so you can very easyly end up skiping quite a few holes if you don't know to cross the road there
- Blackberrys get prety bad in some spots
- Watch for cars driving on the road during holes neer it
Other Thoughts: As the only course in Anderson, and a better course than both the ones I have played in Redding (about 10 miles away), It's not hard to see why this course is so crowded. The course can play realy fast if you can get groups to let you pass them. I played it in about an hour by myself, but I did have to follow a few groups around.

I got a little lost and ended up playing hole 8 right after hole 2, then noticed that the tee sign for the hole I steped up to had a 9 on it. The group that was going to let me pass them there told me where I had made my mistake, not crossing the road after throwing hole 2. If you were walking it naturaly you would want to walk up to hole 8's teepad, not make a walk across the road to play some holes that are wide open and around 300', but I do understand why, so that they could get a full 18 holes here.

Hole 9 was a fun idea, there was a mando on the left side of a narrowing gap, then the hole opened up, but the basket was to the left and back almost furthur than the tee making you throw a giant "U-turn".

There was not realy any big uphill or downhill holes out here, but they did put one basket up on a raised green, and another in a sunken green surounded by OB on all sides.

If I were going to rate this course against the other Redding area courses it would be a 4 maby more, but rating it against all the courses I've played I'm going to have to put it at a strong 3. Don't take this wrong people a 3 is still a high rating, I'm just trying to keep it honest.