Elkridge, MD
Rockburn Branch Share
Hole #16

1    5/12/2009   5/13/2009
Review By: Scoopy
Pros: Mutile pin locations, mostly secluded from the rest of the park, nice mix of open and wooded shots, get to use all your shots on this course, nice elevation changes, decent layout, located in big park with plenty of other activities to keep the family busy while you play
Cons: natural pads, blind pins from i-pads, signs were ok although they didn't tell you the location, no amenities.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty good course. I would recommend any first timer to print the map and hole discriptions. After shooting #2, I followed to the next tee sign, and threw from the next pad I saw which turned out to be #6. It took me about 15 minutes to find the pad for #3 and after 20 more minutes of searching for pad #4, i said forget it and skipped it, went straight to #5. Can be difficult to navigate your first time out. So hook up with a local or print the documents on the links tab. Overall this is a great course that will definitely challenge your physical and mental game. Will play this course anytime I am in the Baltimore area.

Top 5 of Maryland

5+    2/11/2009   2/12/2009
Review By: MrDger
This review was updated on 8/19/2009
Pros: - Great variety of downhill/uphill/flat drives. Holes 13-15 especially make great use of the land.
- The course doesn't play better for lefties or righties, provides enough variety that you have to either switch up your throw or have some great anyies in your arsenal.
- Difficulty of the course is high enough that even for advanced players, a good score isn't far from par (+/-).
- Good use of the water hazards on the few holes it comes into play.
- Good mix of tight controlled drives with some open bombs.
- Multiple pin positions per hole, some even have 4 positions.
- Usually aren't any holdups on the course, and the regulars are more than willing to help you out/let you join them to play a round.
- Easy access from main roads (Rt. 100 & I-95)
- Plenty of parking at multiple points on the course (Holes 1 and 4).
Cons: - NO CONCRETE PADS. I think they're putting in fake pads because of all the complaints, but if there were concrete pads, it's rating would shoot to a 4.5.
- Besides not having concrete pads, the current 'pads' get really nasty after a good rain. Gotta watch yourself.
- Not really any facilities besides the portable one on hole #4.
- Each hole has a tee sign, but some of the signs pointing you to the next hole are either missing/never were there.
Other Thoughts: - Hole 15 is the signature hole for good reason, the drive is pretty to look at no matter how many times you've thrown it.
- Wednesday doubles during the season makes for a good mid-week activity.
- The stretch of holes from #12 - 15 make for a great variety and a lot of fun for any level of player.

:: UPDATE ::
The poison ivy issue has been dealt with by the park services, while there is still some obviously, it isn't nearly as bad as it once was. Also, there is a lot of other undergrowth that many confuse with poison ivy, so that added to "how bad it was".

Sweet course, very rustic.

1    2/5/2009   2/5/2009
Review By: crouchingwombat
Pros: Wow, this course is awesome. Every hole is unique and challenging. I really like courses that let you warm up on some open holes before moving into the heavily wooded areas that require more technical shots. The baskets had very long orange poles coming out the top that made them easy to locate. As I played the back 9 holes I said to myself that 9 was an awesome hole , then 10, then 11 until I was finished. Now I just have to say all 9 of the back 9 rocked. 12 and 15 especially, 15 is one of those elevated holes you can empty your bag on. This course is great and I hope to play it again sometime.
Cons: None really, I bet it could be much different in the summer. The thorns might grow in a little making disc locating a pain but it's a well designed course.
Tee pads, an upgrade to concrete tee pads would be nice, the ice/mud combo wasn't doing it for me.
Other Thoughts: I played Loriella Park in Spotsyvania VA an hour earlier and the difference is night and day. This course had great sings and baskets. I had very little trouble finding the holes. I was told that the signs were added earlier in the winter, great addition. I also noticed that they removed a bunch of thorn bushes. Didn't help me much but I bet it will be much nicer in the summer. There are some historic buildings and really cool rows of trees that the back 9 wind around, made me feel like I was playing during colonial times. Wonder if they had disc golf back then? j/k

great potential

5+    1/10/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: Multiple pin placements
Semi-dedicated use area
Recent tee signs added
Good shot variety
Dedicated volunteers continue to make improvements.
Cons: Rough along the edges - everywhere, briars, P.I., etc.
Dirt tees are dangerous. I'd probably really love this place if I didn't keep hurting myself in the ruts that pass for teepads.
Blind shots - there are several holes that present themselves poorly due to visibility. A player familiar to the course will have a much easier time executing on some of these holes, which to me is a little bit of a drawback. It also makes the likelihood of losing a disc fairly high. This is the only course I've lost a disc on in many years.
Use of water - a pet peeve of mine. Introducing foot traffic into and across a creek bed is generally not a sound environmental practice. (Sorry to be a party pooper - because yes I know it can be fun) And it happens twice on this course.
Other Thoughts: This is a course with great potential. Overcoming the issue with the teepads is by far the greatest challenge facing the improvements to this course. It does grow on you - and I have come to like it more over the past couple years. As far as options go - if this was the only course in your backyard - you'd be lovin life. The fact that it is one of several in the area, just makes it a bonus.

Very inexperienced when I played here.

2-4    4/14/2007   1/2/2009
Review By: Jimb
Pros: When a course has been reviewed this many times it's a bit difficult to say anything unique. So I'll just write my review as if there were no others yet.

The course is in a very nice park setting with lots of different activities available. Once you're familiar with the layout of the course, you can easily play all 18, the front 9 alone or the back 9 alone and still end up close to the parking area regardless of the configuration that you played. This is a definite plus if you're pinched for time and want to mix it up a little when you play.

There's a lot of variety in the hole style on the course and it requires a lot of different shot-making skills (that I was lacking when I played it) to score well.

There are long open holes and short-tight wooded holes (long wooded ones too). There are left turning, straight and right turning holes. There are severe uphill and downhill holes. A creek comes into play on about three holes.

The holes themselves are layed out very well and if not for some other shortcomings, the course could easily score a little higher.
Cons: The natural tee pads were a bit rutty when I played. Upgrading the tees would be a good investment as this course seems to get a good bit of use.

There are hole markers, but even so, the course is a bit difficult to find your way around the first time or two. It took some searching to find a couple of the tees, and a couple pins for that matter.

There is dense brush along a good portion of the course. So you need to be extra careful when tracking your discs. It's easy to get off line a little when you're in the woods so be careful not to lose track of the flight of your discs.

Not very beginner friendly. If you're a beginner playing this course, try to make sure that you have a spotter.
Other Thoughts: I'd love to make it to this course again with a couple more years of experience under my belt. It ate me up pretty well when I had only been throwing "golf discs" for a couple of months. I'd be much more confident playing it now.

With minor upgrades to the signage and tees this could be a first rate course. As is, the holes themselves are excellent.

I'd recommend this course to anyone traveling up I95 between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD. If you have a flight in or out of BWI, make sure you have a few hour layover there. The course is just a short drive (10-15 minues) from the airport. A couple locals told me to be sure to be out of the park before dark as the park guards have been known to lock cars in the parking lot. Not sure if it's true, but I'm not taking that chance.

Have fun!

MD's hidden gem!

5+    12/28/2008   12/31/2008
Review By: drevil
Pros: Varied terrain and elevation, challenging holes, great dog friendly park, nice people. Briars are being removed!
Cons: Still needs teepads, only a couple holes have test pads on them, can be slippery when wet. Some of the briar areas were good obstacles, some trees to replace would be nice.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in MD due to the challenging course and close location to my home. I may be partial to it also because I can bring my dogs out and play. The big ice bowl/chili cookoff is not to be missed.

very good & challenging course

2-4    12/25/2008   12/26/2008
Review By: discNDav
Pros: This course is very challenging with a variety of holes & lots of elevation changes...water on 2 holes...open & "fair" wooded holes...2 baskets on a few holes...very clean park and neighborhood...not beginner friendly (yes, this is a plus)...#15...mostly long holes with taller orange posts on top of the basket which makes it easier to see the basket from the tees. This is a very nice feature and needed here!

Cons: for such a good course this is nit picking: briars can be all over, I played in December and found plenty of them.

The tees are dirt/gravel, if cement is not allowed, flypads would be a good improvement.
Other Thoughts: Bring a map, if not, you will have a hard time finding your way around. I played here in '99 and it seems as though only a few holes are the same as back then....thankfully I played with someone familiar with the course. Some baskets have an arrow at the bottom pointing you to the next tee but more arrows are needed throughtout the course. Note: holes 3,4,5 are left & beyound tee 6.

The longer wooded holes reminded me of Borderlands in MA, another long wooded course which I like.

Variety is the spice of life

5+    11/7/2008   11/17/2008
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 4/27/2010
Pros: Multiple pin locations
Plenty of parking
Warm-up area, Practice basket
Close to amenities

Recently added signs at each tee, and direction arrows at each basket.

6/12/09 Update
Each hole now has an indicator for the current basket position. Sign at tee #6 directing players to holes 3-5. Van selling discs and drinks at parking lot most afternoons and evenings.
Cons: Single, dirt tee locations

Between the tall grass, trees/leaves, bushes, and water, the chance of losing a disc is high

Given the number of sticker bushes, the chance of being scratched is nearly 100%! :-O The abundance of poison ivy is no fun, either.

Holes 3-5, 7 can be difficult to find for a first-time visitor. To find #3, walk past 6's tee and to the left. To find #7, look for the small path right through the woods, not the broad path straight ahead.
Other Thoughts: This course is loads of fun, with plenty of challenges.

Want water? Yup, a bit of that. Uphill? Check. Downhill? Sure. Around hill? Uh-huh. An(hyzer)? Low ceiling? Narrow woods? Guarded baskets? This course has it all!

Favourite hole(s): #13-15. This downhill, uphill, downhill combination is quite scenic and away from the bulk of the park users. The A-positions all say "birdie me", while the C-positions pose quite the challenge.

Most difficult hole(s) for me: #4C/#10C - I'm thrilled when I (rarely) manage to score a '3' on them. #4C, is a throw around the side of a slope, the second shot typically being a slight anhyzer towards a basket sitting in the woods. #10C is a throw up a hill, with brush on both sides, and at the back - with a large tree looming directly in front of you. Assuming you make it to the top, the longish second shot will be down a narrowing clearing to a basket tucked slightly to the right

WARNING: The above evaluation contained home-course bias, in case you couldn't tell! :-)

I feel so fortunate to live within 5 minutes of Rockburn. In 30 minutes or less I can be at Patapsco, Druid, or Calvert, and in 45 minutes or less I can be at Seneca, Middletown, Heritage, Woodsboro, Pine Grove, or Goucher. What a great location for a disc golf enthusiast!

Awesome!

5+    11/1/2008   11/2/2008
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 3/29/2014
Pros: Brand new tees and tee signs with pin indication. Excellent variety of shots, elevation, water hazards. Scenic views. Nice long 18 holes. Recently cleared a lot brush. Challenging course.
Cons: Not hard to lose a disc, but its getting better! Not a beginner course! Do not want to get caught in the woods after sundown cause you can't see anything.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses and happens to be the closest to me. I have chuck and run(speed golf) this course in 30 min. Typically takes just over an hour with two people playing regularly. Hole 15 is my fav!

nice break from the super-shorts

2-4    10/12/2008   10/12/2008
Review By: prerube
This review was updated on 3/22/2010
Pros: interesting painted signs.Moisture can make them hard to read at times. Course has great variety; elevation, water (not deep enough to lose discs), woods, etc. Course is reminiscent of some of my favorites, but the hard to find baskets damper the experience.
*a new system is inplace to indicate the pin position, a lock placed on a small ring labeled A, B or C.
Course features a coupls nice tunnel shots.

Several signature holes require shot creativity and risk.
Cons: Natural tees vary in quality. Arrows to guide you to the next basket stop after the second basket. Chance of disc loss on several holes. Thorns are a nuisance, but not like Giles Run. Lots of time spent looking for baskets, Bring a map!
Other Thoughts: Take these notes with you:
Hole 1 starts you off shooting blind over a hill with tall grass and thorns on both sides of a wide open area. After hole 2 make sure you pass hole 6 and go towards the playground. After hole 6 take a small trail to your right to hole 7.

If you have a disc retriever, it may be worth bringing. Spotters are well worth the few moments that it will slow your rotation down.

Porto-potties by the playground. Not a lot of shade so bring sunscreen and bug spray. Check yourself for ticks afterwards.

*edit: as long as the grass remains cut on hole one and the signage is maintained i would say this course has improved from a 3.5 to a 4.