Elkridge, MD
Hole #13

Long and confusing

1    5/23/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: BeauRoch
Pros: Loved the layout and it is in great shape.
Cons: Finding tee boxes and baskets was the worst.
Other Thoughts: Whoever maintains this course please update maps and add more/better signs for better course maneuverability. This was its biggest drawback.

Lost potential

1    5/21/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: kuhlbeans
This review was updated on 5/27/2012
Pros: The course definitely has a few fun holes and shots. #15 is definitely the signature hole where you throw downhill towards/over a stream with a nice view. The few holes before that play around the same area and are equally fun, scenic, and provide a decent challenge. Multiple pin positions give you some replayability and there's good use of the open and wooded areas of the park that work your shot selection. All the holes are signed and most (if not all) baskets have a marker pointing the way to the next tee.
Cons: Unfortunately, the course is hampered by too many cons to let the pros really shine through.

As others have mentioned, the course layout at times is just terrible. Without the course navigation notes here I never would have made it through. There are a few places where, even with the pointed direction, you are unsure of where to go or you pass a tee pad that is not the proper hole.

The tee signs have the length and par (I think) on the signs along with a hole diagram. These diagrams are fairly crude though and may not be to accurate scale, so they often don't give a complete feel for the hole. On the day I was there water had gotten on the insides and misted it enough so that sometimes I could not see the hole layout properly. The signs and sign posts mark that there are multiple basket positions, but unfortunately there is no indication as to which location actually has the standard for the day/week/month (whatever frequency the positions are changed). While I have no problem with blind shots, these factors make the ones here a little frustrating.

There are a couple of parallel fairways, but 1 and 2 was the only place that really bothered me. After you throw a blind tee shot on one over the hill you will see two baskets in the distance, fairly close to each other. The closer is 1 and the further 2, but you may not realize this without the navigation guide; it would be easy to believe the course, rather than rotating basket positions, has a basket at each all the time. Also, with the arrangement of the fairways, it seems like the second shot landing area for #1 and the driving landing area for #2 are very close for average throws. What makes this even worse is that some holes *do* appear to have multiple baskets present at one time.

The thing that probably bothered me the most is the underbrush/growth. The early holes in open fields either have large swaths of uncut grass or (around 4 & 5) this odd area of low and tightly growing shrubs/bushes. Much of the rest of the course if you don't hit the fairway you'll be in *very* thick vegetation and thorn bushes. These can make it extremely frustrating when you have a disc go off the fairway because of the time and effort it takes to find and the strong possibility of losing it if you aren't watching closely. This was really the worst part about this course from my viewpoint.
Other Thoughts: The course is in a park that has a playground, basketball courts, picnic shelters, and such. It appears the course has a doubles night once a week and a trailer from a local store is occasionally in the parking lot selling gear on the spot.

Just O.K.

1    5/16/2009   5/16/2009
Review By: DRIVER
Pros: Full 18. A few nice holes. #15 is beautiful. #13 is a great shot too.
Cons: Terrible course layout. Fairways are too close to tee pads on multiple occasions. very difficult to navigate from hole to hole. a few blind pin positions, and some blind shots are close to other fairways (#14 close to #12).
a few holes where it seemed minimal thought went into basket placement and fairway construction. (#12)
the rough is pretty thick is some areas.
#18 basket isn't anywhere near #1 tee pad.
a few rude/clueless locals.
Other Thoughts: Seemed like just a disc golf course, without any disc golf community.

1    5/12/2009   5/13/2009
Review By: Scoopy
Pros: Mutile pin locations, mostly secluded from the rest of the park, nice mix of open and wooded shots, get to use all your shots on this course, nice elevation changes, decent layout, located in big park with plenty of other activities to keep the family busy while you play
Cons: natural pads, blind pins from i-pads, signs were ok although they didn't tell you the location, no amenities.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty good course. I would recommend any first timer to print the map and hole discriptions. After shooting #2, I followed to the next tee sign, and threw from the next pad I saw which turned out to be #6. It took me about 15 minutes to find the pad for #3 and after 20 more minutes of searching for pad #4, i said forget it and skipped it, went straight to #5. Can be difficult to navigate your first time out. So hook up with a local or print the documents on the links tab. Overall this is a great course that will definitely challenge your physical and mental game. Will play this course anytime I am in the Baltimore area.

Top 5 of Maryland

5+    2/11/2009   2/12/2009
Review By: MrDger
This review was updated on 8/19/2009
Pros: - Great variety of downhill/uphill/flat drives. Holes 13-15 especially make great use of the land.
- The course doesn't play better for lefties or righties, provides enough variety that you have to either switch up your throw or have some great anyies in your arsenal.
- Difficulty of the course is high enough that even for advanced players, a good score isn't far from par (+/-).
- Good use of the water hazards on the few holes it comes into play.
- Good mix of tight controlled drives with some open bombs.
- Multiple pin positions per hole, some even have 4 positions.
- Usually aren't any holdups on the course, and the regulars are more than willing to help you out/let you join them to play a round.
- Easy access from main roads (Rt. 100 & I-95)
- Plenty of parking at multiple points on the course (Holes 1 and 4).
Cons: - NO CONCRETE PADS. I think they're putting in fake pads because of all the complaints, but if there were concrete pads, it's rating would shoot to a 4.5.
- Besides not having concrete pads, the current 'pads' get really nasty after a good rain. Gotta watch yourself.
- Not really any facilities besides the portable one on hole #4.
- Each hole has a tee sign, but some of the signs pointing you to the next hole are either missing/never were there.
Other Thoughts: - Hole 15 is the signature hole for good reason, the drive is pretty to look at no matter how many times you've thrown it.
- Wednesday doubles during the season makes for a good mid-week activity.
- The stretch of holes from #12 - 15 make for a great variety and a lot of fun for any level of player.

:: UPDATE ::
The poison ivy issue has been dealt with by the park services, while there is still some obviously, it isn't nearly as bad as it once was. Also, there is a lot of other undergrowth that many confuse with poison ivy, so that added to "how bad it was".

Sweet course, very rustic.

1    2/5/2009   2/5/2009
Review By: crouchingwombat
Pros: Wow, this course is awesome. Every hole is unique and challenging. I really like courses that let you warm up on some open holes before moving into the heavily wooded areas that require more technical shots. The baskets had very long orange poles coming out the top that made them easy to locate. As I played the back 9 holes I said to myself that 9 was an awesome hole , then 10, then 11 until I was finished. Now I just have to say all 9 of the back 9 rocked. 12 and 15 especially, 15 is one of those elevated holes you can empty your bag on. This course is great and I hope to play it again sometime.
Cons: None really, I bet it could be much different in the summer. The thorns might grow in a little making disc locating a pain but it's a well designed course.
Tee pads, an upgrade to concrete tee pads would be nice, the ice/mud combo wasn't doing it for me.
Other Thoughts: I played Loriella Park in Spotsyvania VA an hour earlier and the difference is night and day. This course had great sings and baskets. I had very little trouble finding the holes. I was told that the signs were added earlier in the winter, great addition. I also noticed that they removed a bunch of thorn bushes. Didn't help me much but I bet it will be much nicer in the summer. There are some historic buildings and really cool rows of trees that the back 9 wind around, made me feel like I was playing during colonial times. Wonder if they had disc golf back then? j/k

great potential

5+    1/10/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: Multiple pin placements
Semi-dedicated use area
Recent tee signs added
Good shot variety
Dedicated volunteers continue to make improvements.
Cons: Rough along the edges - everywhere, briars, P.I., etc.
Dirt tees are dangerous. I'd probably really love this place if I didn't keep hurting myself in the ruts that pass for teepads.
Blind shots - there are several holes that present themselves poorly due to visibility. A player familiar to the course will have a much easier time executing on some of these holes, which to me is a little bit of a drawback. It also makes the likelihood of losing a disc fairly high. This is the only course I've lost a disc on in many years.
Use of water - a pet peeve of mine. Introducing foot traffic into and across a creek bed is generally not a sound environmental practice. (Sorry to be a party pooper - because yes I know it can be fun) And it happens twice on this course.
Other Thoughts: This is a course with great potential. Overcoming the issue with the teepads is by far the greatest challenge facing the improvements to this course. It does grow on you - and I have come to like it more over the past couple years. As far as options go - if this was the only course in your backyard - you'd be lovin life. The fact that it is one of several in the area, just makes it a bonus.

Very inexperienced when I played here.

2-4    4/14/2007   1/2/2009
Review By: Jimb
Pros: When a course has been reviewed this many times it's a bit difficult to say anything unique. So I'll just write my review as if there were no others yet.

The course is in a very nice park setting with lots of different activities available. Once you're familiar with the layout of the course, you can easily play all 18, the front 9 alone or the back 9 alone and still end up close to the parking area regardless of the configuration that you played. This is a definite plus if you're pinched for time and want to mix it up a little when you play.

There's a lot of variety in the hole style on the course and it requires a lot of different shot-making skills (that I was lacking when I played it) to score well.

There are long open holes and short-tight wooded holes (long wooded ones too). There are left turning, straight and right turning holes. There are severe uphill and downhill holes. A creek comes into play on about three holes.

The holes themselves are layed out very well and if not for some other shortcomings, the course could easily score a little higher.
Cons: The natural tee pads were a bit rutty when I played. Upgrading the tees would be a good investment as this course seems to get a good bit of use.

There are hole markers, but even so, the course is a bit difficult to find your way around the first time or two. It took some searching to find a couple of the tees, and a couple pins for that matter.

There is dense brush along a good portion of the course. So you need to be extra careful when tracking your discs. It's easy to get off line a little when you're in the woods so be careful not to lose track of the flight of your discs.

Not very beginner friendly. If you're a beginner playing this course, try to make sure that you have a spotter.
Other Thoughts: I'd love to make it to this course again with a couple more years of experience under my belt. It ate me up pretty well when I had only been throwing "golf discs" for a couple of months. I'd be much more confident playing it now.

With minor upgrades to the signage and tees this could be a first rate course. As is, the holes themselves are excellent.

I'd recommend this course to anyone traveling up I95 between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD. If you have a flight in or out of BWI, make sure you have a few hour layover there. The course is just a short drive (10-15 minues) from the airport. A couple locals told me to be sure to be out of the park before dark as the park guards have been known to lock cars in the parking lot. Not sure if it's true, but I'm not taking that chance.

Have fun!

MD's hidden gem!

5+    12/28/2008   12/31/2008
Review By: drevil
Pros: Varied terrain and elevation, challenging holes, great dog friendly park, nice people. Briars are being removed!
Cons: Still needs teepads, only a couple holes have test pads on them, can be slippery when wet. Some of the briar areas were good obstacles, some trees to replace would be nice.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in MD due to the challenging course and close location to my home. I may be partial to it also because I can bring my dogs out and play. The big ice bowl/chili cookoff is not to be missed.

very good & challenging course

2-4    12/25/2008   12/26/2008
Review By: discNDav
Pros: This course is very challenging with a variety of holes & lots of elevation changes...water on 2 holes...open & "fair" wooded holes...2 baskets on a few holes...very clean park and neighborhood...not beginner friendly (yes, this is a plus)...#15...mostly long holes with taller orange posts on top of the basket which makes it easier to see the basket from the tees. This is a very nice feature and needed here!

Cons: for such a good course this is nit picking: briars can be all over, I played in December and found plenty of them.

The tees are dirt/gravel, if cement is not allowed, flypads would be a good improvement.
Other Thoughts: Bring a map, if not, you will have a hard time finding your way around. I played here in '99 and it seems as though only a few holes are the same as back then....thankfully I played with someone familiar with the course. Some baskets have an arrow at the bottom pointing you to the next tee but more arrows are needed throughtout the course. Note: holes 3,4,5 are left & beyound tee 6.

The longer wooded holes reminded me of Borderlands in MA, another long wooded course which I like.