Montgomery, AL
Auburn University of Montgomery Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #3 (Taken 4/2011)
3 / --   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #H Tee

Good course if fixed

1    7/5/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: Longjonsilverz
Pros: If you can figure out some of the layout, there is a decent design. The woods holes are interesting, but tight. The course is mostly open on some fields but also has a few holes in the forest. Holes are mostly around the 300ft range. Easy to locate the course, just off of I-85 on campus at AUM. Baskets are decent.
Cons: I think this course has been forgotten or something. There is basically no maintenance other than the fields being mowed. The signs are all rearranged currently in the wrong places and the layout is basically impossible to figure out for a first timer. I found a pile of tee signs at the edge of the woods so that wasn't a good sign of the current conditions of the course. Some tees are either hard to find or not there. (one of the other reviewers on this site has a map, you should check that out if you're playing here for the first time)
Other Thoughts: This is a course that probably has seen better days. The design is actually good but the maintenance issues are so bad that it makes you forget that. If someone put some work into this course it would easily be a good one, especially since the Montgomery area only has one other course currently. Hopefully this course will improve soon.

u need map skills

2-4    6/7/2014   6/11/2014
Review By: johnmatkinson1
Pros: Great potential if they ever work on it. Once you figure out the layout (only 17 holes) it's ok. The first time I played I couldn't figure it out-2nd trip I brought the google maps overlay with hole location and 15 min later I was oriented correctly.
Great mix of open shots, elevation changes, etc. The woods are super tight so bring your A game.
Medium lengh course but will be a challenge if you have back or knee problems due to terrain.
Cons: Markers are nearly gone (print map and bring with you).
Blue colored tees make it very challenging to see them.
Wood holes need a lot of work to open up some space (roll baby roll - I challenge any beginner to throw!!!)
Other Thoughts: Great potential if they take the time to work on it.

Course Layout

1    2/21/2014   2/21/2014
Review By: Southern at Heart
Pros: There are a variety of shots. It's difficult to follow for first timers. I made a public course layout in Google Earth that you can access on your iPhone, to make learning the course easy! Note that there are only 17 holes, and it doesn't end up real close to hole 1, but all in all it's not bad to follow. Some holes in the woods are very tight. I personally like this!
Other Thoughts: google earth map:

interesting...

1    1/10/2011   1/11/2011
Review By: joe_kool315
Pros: Holes 9 - 18 are a joy. Not difficult but give you an opportunity to use several different shot selections over them and especially fun of the beginner as you can actually throw that spike hyzer up there on an actual hole and see it do what you think it will on the course. as well as several fundamental shots that you will need to get yourself out of trouble on less forgiving courses. Good players can go out and empty their bag on several of these holes just having fun grazing the basket and getting the occasional ace.
Cons: most holes are fairly straight with slight hyzer/anny shots on a few holes and some good elevation on 3.
Other Thoughts: Wish I had a course like this one nearby to go practive shots doing what I want it to do and or learn proper throwing techniques for getting the disc to work for me, not the other way around.

Fun Course - new holes!

5+    2/6/2011   10/31/2010
Review By: barneco
This review was updated on 2/6/2011
Pros: Good community
Nice baskets
Been around a while
Nice and open...fun to bomb drives
Cons: A bit in flux right now
slightly confusing layout as things settle out
unfortunately not very pet friendly
Other Thoughts: Update 2/6/2011 - Just finished playing this course again. As the course conditions indicate, there is pretty massive construction going on in the main, "open" part of the course. Fortunately, other than creating some MUD, it doesn't seem to have that much of an overall effect on the course(other than the loss of a few holes that has already been mentioned). The reason for my update, however, is that there have been 4 brand-new holes added recently. Even better, these new holes are tucked away in the wooded section and, as such, really give the course a new, much needed, flavor. The old layout was somewhat one-dimensional, being pretty open. The new holes are tight, wooded shots requiring less distance and more accuracy and creativity. They are still pretty green and need some traffic, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. In addition, I met another local, who went out of his way to come over and let us know the new layout(easy once I saw it but might be slightly confusing if you didn't know...i'm sure this will improve when the holes season a bit). I don't know what the future holds for the course(i'm told the construction is for a new wellness center..not sure if the existing holes will be allowed to remain so close to a busy building), but for now if you're driving by, don't let the construction scare you away...this is still a fun course.

This is a fun course. Played it a few times and enjoy it each time. Pretty wide open...precision not really required, and distance scores.
Some construction at the small campus has killed a few holes(1-3 i think), but a few newer holes seem to have bene added to compensate. As such, some of the signs are slightly wrong and the layout can be a tad confusing. Got lucky and talked to a local last time and got some good beta. Had been playing the course wrong and missing a few holes, but he set us on the right path. Also said that there was some work going on in the adjacent woods that is adding a few new holes. Not sure how many or an ETA, but the would be a welcome addition. Being from Columbus, this course is a fair drive, but has been worth it for some variety.
One point to note is that, apparently due to a "new" walking trail which meanders through the course, pets are not as well received as they once were. We like to travel with our JRT who's very well responsive to voice commands and very friendly. However, a local police officer(Montgomery police, NOT campus police) took the time to flag us down and walk out(as I'm bagging an "offering" he wanted to leave on the course) to tell us we need to keep our dog on a leash, regardless of the fact that we were the ONLY people on the course(discers and walkers included) and that he stays within 20 feet of us anyway. She then proceeded to make no less than 6 drive-bys over the course of our round to make sure we didn't ignore her "advice". I guess the good thing is that this must mean there's not much crime occurring in Montgomery that she has an hour to ensure a friendly dog doesn't bother the invisible walkers. Because of this, we probably won't be making any more road trips specifically for this course, but I'll likely play it as I'm passing through or when/if it's extended.

worth it

1    4/22/2010   4/22/2010
Review By: davidmparslow
Pros: Course was mowed when I played. Easy to follow. Nice baskets. Every hole had cement tee pad and tee signs. The scenery was enjoyable. I am a distance thrower so it was fun to try to park these with mid range discs. Not much traffic on the course either. Good use of the land.
Cons: Tee sign distance never seemed accurate. Level of difficulty was low for a good am but still enjoyable.
Other Thoughts: Me and my GF had a great time here. This is a great practice course to work on accuracy to the pin. Wind wasn't to much of a factor for such an open field course.