Daytona Beach, FL
Tuscawilla Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #11 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #11B Tee Sign

So this is Florida

5+    9/1/2013   9/4/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: The ocean is a breeze away. The ground is kept (barely) dry by a network of canals. The course is spotted with swampy ponds that, if they weren't in so public a park, would be crawling with gators. This is Florida and Tuscawilla embraces its identity.

The course is well maintained, with two sets of tees, each sporting a sign laminated into a knee-high rock. While the signs themselves are exceedingly unhelpful, they are really nice at identifying tees in a natural manor. The rocks are nearly identical, so they are easily spotted while blending into the environment.

The course itself is solid fare. Water is in play at several holes, but none of the holes boast a memorable carry. There are factors at Tuscawilla that scream 3.5(the atmosphere, the upkeep,) to me, but others that leave me thinking 2.5. (more on that later) So it settles around a three.

There are a few interesting holes. Seven is one of the rare water carries I've seen that favors RHFH/LHBH throwers. Thirteen is the longest hole, and features a pagoda of sorts. (So tempting to enforce a self-imposed double mando and throw between the pillars)

But at Tuscawilla, the best is saved for last. For the last few holes, a canal curves through the fairway, making for a few distinct lines and landing places. After the blah of seeing that canal uselessly border the far right of the fairways, its creative use on the final holes redeems Tuscawilla in a fantastic way.
Cons: But the water is not always used to the effect that it could be. Fifteen has a fantastic pin placement butting out into a small pond, but the tee is just too close. Too short of a hole for the water to pose any true risk/reward. The opposite problem affects fourteen. The first time I was here, the pin was on a small island in a doughnut shaped lake. It's not there anymore. That island looks so sad with no basket on it.

The water is also occasionally where it's not supposed to be. The drainage is acceptable here but it is Florida and there can be a lot of rain in the summer months. Fairways can be soaked. While this is the better Daytona course, Reed Canal is probably a better choice if it has been rainy.

The bigger issue here, which keeps Tuscawilla from a 3.5, is some of the navigation. I've played here several times, and I keep playing from seven to eleven. Eight through ten are oddly placed, as you have to go back down to the middle of the seven fairway to find the eight tee. Then from ten it's a bit of a haul that walks through seven, to find tee eleven.

Then of course there is the adventure course. Numerous holes feature zipliners as moving targets. I mean, the people on the adventure course are in the middle of the fairway.
Other Thoughts: So that's what it is. A solid course with some solid flaws. But there isn't a better course within an hour of Daytona.

Glad I found a local

1    4/16/2012   4/19/2012
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: Water hazards without a fear of losing a disc.
Good variety in a park setting.
Nice and shady for a Florida park
Different basket layouts changed monthly
Bathrooms onsite, looked like possibly even two sets, didn't have to go that bad though.
A lot of trees but not too many, great technical "push"
A lot of short holes and a few that hit 300+ feet. Although I do enjoy stretching my arm, it was nice to play a course with smaller distances.
Cons: Had a very hard time finding hole #1 and navigation was pretty rough throughout, glad I had a local to help me through.
The course does come fairly close to a road a few times, that always makes me nervous.
Bums, lots of them, you can feel like there are eyes on you at all times. Lock your cars for sure.
The water around the park was very still, filled with algae and could be a severe mosquito breeding grounds in the summer.
Other Thoughts: I'm glad I decided to play the course, I would definitely play again if I head to Daytona. I heard there is another course nearby that I may also check out.

A little Hide away in Daytona Beach

1    3/13/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: Considering Daytona Beach is famous for the races, motorcycles, and beaches, I was surprised to see a Disc Golf Course right next to the main road of International Speed Way. There isn't much shade in Daytona, it is famous for it's SUN. But this park provides a nice area to play with out getting cooked. It has a good range of flight types and tee locations. And I was not afraid of their water holes. Side note it was a thumbs up with the kids.
Cons: It isn't wide open ranges. It is what I would call condensed. It was the first time there especially with the family, so I was lost tee locations were not often clearly marked. But we fallowed a small group and was able to manuver through pretty well. There were homeless people about, but they didn't bother us and we did not bother them.
Other Thoughts: I have to say............................
I do not remember seeing empty beer bottles or the such lying around wooded areas or in the open. "Bravo", this was the cleanest park I have been to. All trash in the trash cans. They did have a bathroom, but I didn't use it so I can't comment upon it's condition.

Part of Vacation

1    12/11/2009   1/25/2010
Review By: Peachey
Pros: A lot of nature, chameleons, snapping turtles, even glimpsed a snake leaving the area.
The holes have a lot of variety and are tough enough to challenge. Hole 9 might be the toughest hole I've played...a 5 is a decent effort. Nice amount of water without too much danger of losing a disc. A great mix of throws necessary to master this course.
Cons: While trees and wildlife are nice...it's not really a pretty course. There seemed to always be locals around (not threatening at all) some of whom looked like they had no where else to go. At several locations I saw evidence that people had been and probably were living in this park. They had left bags of clothes and other trash around.
Other Thoughts: The folks living a tough life do NOT detract from this course.
I'd go back.

over all fun

1    3/29/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: DarrenFL
Pros: tough course. 3 tees on each hole. friendly locals. they had one guy out there selling disc which was awesome since some how my two buddies forgot all of theres.
Cons: def wear closed toe shoes!! i tee off and idk what i did but i toar the whole tip off my big toe. being a right hander i hated how much left holes there was. there was a lot of walking around for me and my friends.
Other Thoughts: overall was pretty fun. very challengeing with all the trees and water and had a good time.