Daytona Beach, FL
Tuscawilla Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #2 (Taken 3/2011)
Hole #2B Tee Sign

1    6/14/2013   6/14/2013
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 6/17/2013
Pros: -Located in a beautiful park in Central Daytona, in between the Speedway and the Beach.
-Tee area: 2 sets of tees per hole; Tee signs with map, distance, and position indicator. (position indicator is a little round white piece of wood with (P1,P2, or P3 written on it). Tee signs are embedded into these larger rocks near the teepads.
-Not beginner friendly, this is a course more for seasoned recreational to professional. Beginners could get extremely frustrated here. Especially when requiring accuracy at long distances
-Basket with 2 to 3 alt positions.
-Shelter house with bulletin board and map. Map on the outside facing the course.
-Has a few good risk/reward shots, Blind Dog legs, Second shot placement par 4's, and a full water carry on 7,
-9 plays back to the parking lot, giving one the option for a quick 9 or a stop off at the car.
-A good mix of open field and wooded shots. There is also a good balance of right/Left handed shots. Those shots also rotate with the pin position. 12 may favor right handed players one week, the next week it will cater to left handed players
-The course makes use of the surroundings, offering blind shots, water carries, and an island hole. There are also a number of long distance shots, as well as a few par 4 and 5 shots.
-Tuscawilla is a very challenging course that will test you in accuracy, distance, and accuracy at long distances.
-One set of tee's offers up a challenge for the seasoned player who has confidence and control with their drives, while the second tee still offers up a strong challenge for the recreational player without being too frustrating.

FWIW
-Zipline Tour is available in the park. Wished I had time to do that as well.
Cons: -Navigation is brutal, there is a map, but it could use an update. I took a picture of the map on my phone, and it was hard to follow since it was faded. Knowing where you are going is vital to this course.

-I noticed that some of the pin position indicators had not been changed to reflect the location of the current basket. This would require a walk down the fairway to locate the basket. Some holes you won't see the baskets until you are almost pin high. That's okay occasionally, but when you have to do it frequently, it tends to get frustrating. (This con really falls into a first timer category)

-This goes back to the Navigation, but some of the holes transition awkwardly. If you don't know where you are going, you may be stuck looking for the next tee in the wrong place. I almost threw down 11 after 7, because I saw a teepad. When you finish 12, you have a long transition to 13 where you follow the road a good ways before you get to the tee. I ran into this a few different times.

-I don't know if this is common, or if the grass just hadn't been mowed. I am aware that we had Tropical Storm Andrea dump a ton of rain on Florida. My discs could land in the grass and get swallowed. A lot of time was spent looking for Discs in open fields.

-This is an "is what it is" just part of Coastal Florida. The rough is brutal, and if your disc goes in, you may be looking for a while. Don't get me wrong, it's Beautiful to look at, but it's hard when your disc goes into the middle of it. It's the kind of rough where you can't see the ground in the trees.
Other Thoughts: You will use a variety of lines and discs here. The course starts out fairly simple, but like a tractor pull, the further you go, the harder it gets. You'll throw a variety of different lines, and use a number of discs in the process. It's an impressive course that showcases the ecological side of Florida. One third of this plays under a canopy, where you have to work the lines through the trees, one third is open field, and another third is playing alongside very thick jungle like rough. You'll definitely want to bring liquids, as this course can take a while to play. Tuscawilla is in the center of Daytona, so you are surrounded by gas stations and restaurants.
I had really been looking forward to playing here but I was met with a lot of first time frustration. I got turned around, threw on wrong baskets, threw from the wrong tee's, etc… There are a number of issues that will make your first visit difficult. On the flip side, after you have played here, your return visits may give you a better, more enjoyable experience. Future visits will not be met with the same circumstances. The best way to prevent this from being a bad first impression is to meet up with a local and have them guide you through the course. The reason I say that is because Tuscawilla really is a great course! The frustrations can hide the true enjoyment of playing at Tuscawilla.

Adventure Disc Golf

2-4    6/11/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: nygfaninva
Pros: Pro level course. Two Tee boxes per hole. Three possible basket positions per hole. Fantastic city park.. Much to do for entire family. Great DG course. Zip line course overhead. Nice playgrounds. Bathrooms available. Maps on each tee box. Long challenging holes (lakes and creeks near almost all holes) with OB water all over. Great use of inner city park area.
Cons: Super confusing. Nearly no flow from hole to hole. Can get lost easily from hole to hole. No maps or scorecards at opening pavilion that could help first time visitors. The maps at each tee box are difficult to find as they are built into rocks near the tee pads. The rocks all look alike and do not stand out the way a wooden map sign would. The maps themselves can be confusing as they mark three possible basket locations with no way of knowing which one is in play that day. Lots of chances to lose a disc, especially on long throws (when not familiar with course lay out) due to creeks being just over a ridge and not visible from tee box.
Other Thoughts: This is a tough fun course, once you can play it by finding each tee box and then finding the basket. Lots of homeless around that can make one uncomfortable. Good for skilled players, not for a newcomer.

Favorite Holes:
#7 throws across a lake, not too far, but with wind one better bring his big boy pants for this one.

#14 (or is it 15)? The Island Hole. The basket lies on a small island surrounded by water. Very unique and a risky play every time!.

Note to visiting Northern players, like myself: Watch the Palm Fronds! Beware! You can't power past these like braches or leaves up north. Just saying.

Family Day DG

1    11/22/2011   10/22/2012
Review By: HarrMarc
Pros: Tuscawilla Park is a really fun course featuring fairways dotted with nice trees and plants, and water in shallow ponds, streams, and ditches sometimes. Nice mix of left and right turning holes, and a lot of interesting lines on predominantly flat ground.. There is an island hole (#14 I think) at the end of one of the longest fairways. I liked this course because there were plenty of opportunities for birds if you hit good drives. Perfect use of park space available. I didn't see much foot traffic aside from other disc golfers.
Cons: Hole #7 usually requires you to throw across a small lake (about 200 ft.) or take a long bogey. I like this challenge, but it may not be for everyone. About 3-4 holes involve a brush/heavily wooded hazard, but its really not bad, and I've still never lost a disc.

From a Rec Player's Point of View

1    6/24/2012   6/24/2012
Review By: cesar32935
Pros: The park itself is a Pro, well maintain, and a fun round.
Well mix of holes, Hyzer, Anhyzer, Straight, long and short.
The Tournament set-up had 2 holes on an "island" green, so it was fun to lay up and go for it, good mix.
3 Concrete Tee pads per hole, proved to be very nice for our group. an advace player with 2 Recreational players could get enough challenge for all. The short pad will make my 10yr old happy when we come back next week.
Cons: Locating some baskets was VERY difficult on some holes. Good thing I was playing with someone that's been there before. Even though there is a map on each tee, so you have a general idea of where it should be, a coule of them were hard to find.
Having to walk by a basket to get to another tee, or walking backwards to go to the next tee.
No drinking fountain or at least a drink machine
Other Thoughts: We didn't encounter as many homeless people as some other players have.
The baskets were set up for the 1st day of the tournament next week, so they were set at the longest mark. It made me feel good to end the round knowing next time I'm here, the scores will be better

Fun at Daytona

1    4/29/2012   4/29/2012
Review By: Dana87
Pros: Good variety of shots
Well groomed
Varied distances
League guys asked if we wanted to play with them but we were just finishing up.
Homeless guys were more than happy to help you out when you got lost. He was looking for a cigarette as a tip but since I don't smoke, I tipped him a $.
Cons: Really difficult to find your way around. I met another guy looking for one so we looked together and ended up playing together. see below for easiest way to find the first hole.

After that we had some trouble finding 4th tee (to the right of 3 basket), 5th tee (across street), 11th (it's just across street from 7th basket) 16th (across street again)

There were some small next tee signs on some holes, but not obvious enough. If the next tee signs were hanging under the basket it would be terrific. Better tee signage would raise my rating a half point or more.
Other Thoughts: There are two entrances to the park. When approaching from Daytona Beach on Int'l Speedway Blvd, you see the Tuscawilla Park sign and another sign telling you to take a left and the entrance was one block down. Don't turn, stay on Int'l Speedway Blvd and take the next left onto Seneca. Then take another left on Magnolia and you'll see the pavilion. Hole 1 is right in front of this pavilion.

If you find yourself in the loop in the park, you entered the wrong entrance. Go out to main road (Orange), take a right onto Orange and then take your next right onto Seneca. Turn right onto Magnolia and the pavilion is in front of you.

All & all it was a fun course to play and I would definitely play it again next time I am in Daytona, especially since I know where to park and where the holes are.

Beautiful, well-kept, variety

5+    1/15/2012   1/17/2012
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: This is a very ideal disc golf course. It includes a shallow creek that runs through most of the park, creating a challenging, minor hazard. As many discs as my girlfriend and I have thrown in there, I've never gotten wet and never lost one. Multiple tee pads and pin placements for amateurs and pros. The park is well-kept, not overgrown. Signs are nailed to trees indicating where to go for the next hole, so you really don't spend any time getting lost.
Other Thoughts: This park is very scenic; with the lake, creek, and beautiful trees. Usually a few homeless people occupying the park, but they're always friendly.

1    7/31/2011   8/1/2011
Review By: AdamH
This review was updated on 8/2/2011
Pros: Tuscawilla Park has about 3 pin placements per hole and 2 tee pads (that I saw) on nearly every hole. This is a great feature on the course as it helps to keep it fresh and interesting so you're not playing the same course again and again. Tee signs are on rocks by the tee and a white marker tells you what pin position it's in today. That's extremely helpful with three pin positions and really cut down the amount of time I spent looking for the basket. The baskets also have a tall PVC pipe with a ribbon coming out of the top which make them easier to see. There's a pavilion with a large bulletin board that has a course map and info about local goings on. It has looping 9's.

The course is well designed so you'll find a good variety of shots and hole distances. I was expecting a completely flat course, which it is... but the little elevation they have was used very well. There were two elevated baskets when I played here. There are a few drainage ditches (dry when I was here) running through the course that have baskets strategically placed which added to the challenge. There are numerous water hazards on the course, but most are right off the tee. They're great for messing with your mental game, but I only recall two of them posing a real threat of losing a disc. The course has lots of large palm trees with only a few holes with underbrush to worry about. You really have to hit your lines to score well here.
Cons: I got lost going from 10 to 11, otherwise navigation wasn't too much of an issue. There are some small next tee signs in some places, but they're so small I could have missed seeing the one on that hole. I wish I had my camera with me so I could have taken a better picture of the course map to post on here. A printed map would have helped me some here.

A number of the tee signs were by the short pad so I had to walk by the long pad to read the sign and walk back. Some of them did have two tee signs though, one for the short and one for the long.

I totally threw at the wrong basket on 18. As I got closer to it, I saw it said 16x on it. I guess that's an extra practice basket, because I saw another basket by the pavilion labeled 19.
Other Thoughts: Overall I found this to be a fun and challenging course and I would recommend checking it out if you're in the area or passing by.

Tuscawilla Park

1    12/22/2010   12/26/2010
Review By: craigd
Pros: This is a very enjoyable course that sprawls throughout a fairly pleasant park. You'll notice nice scenery as you make your way through the mature pine trees, palms, and various hardwoods. Some Spanish moss hanging from the trees adds to the atmosphere too. The trees offer plenty of summer shade too. There are a few areas of thick shrubs and low growing palms that help define the fairways but overall finding errant shots in them is not an impossible task. Many ditches, canals, bunkers, and islands also define the course and it really makes for one of a kind design. At times many of the low areas of those features are filled with water and it'll add a degree of difficulty to the course that's not found during dry times. It'll force you to carefully choose your shots and really adds tons of risk/reward to your round. The course is very fun to play and can be pretty challenging. From the long tees you find holes from under 200 feet to over 300 feet with a wide variety a shot shapes. A few of the alternate placements not on the map mixed in at over 400 feet. Left, right, and strait holes are all represented. Of course with all the pins being moved frequently you'll find a great mix and quite a bit of diversity.

The course has lots going for it in terms of amenities and design. You'll notice three concrete tees per hole in the beginning. The two longer of the three tee pads are full sized and the third shortest tee, obviously for juniors/recreational players, is only about 3 feet x 3 feet. No matter which tee you decide to play from, they'll serve you well. They have a nice rough surface and are level with the ground. Next you'll notice the tee signs. Perfect little areas hewn in small boulders have inlayed tee signs and have all the info you'll need about each hole, including current pin placement indicators. Speaking of the pin placements, there seems to be at least three per hole. As I mentioned earlier, I saw several holes that had even more alternate placements besides A, B, And C. They weren't mapped on the signs but they were indicated by distance with their respective letter on the markers, all of which were deeper than the originals. Six is probably the most remarkable with a very interesting and deep pin position and one that I would consider the signature hole for the course. The Innova baskets, though some of them are old, are in anywhere from passable to great shape. A course kiosk is near hole one with info and a course map. As you make your way through the course you'll also notice lots of bridges at all the right places. Finally there is a nice pavilion and parking area that seems to be dedicated solely to the disc golfers. It looks perfect for tournament central and worked great for a meeting area/rest area during our visit.
Cons: The layout was a little difficult to figure out at first. There are next tee signs where they count but even so a little extra searching is needed for a flawless flow. On top of that you'll have to really look for the basket a time or two which will require an occasional walk up the fairways. Seventeen's long tee was very distracting as you have to deal with an audience of dozens of cars at the traffic light near the tee. There are several holes that play near roads and are very distracting as well. There are a couple of weird transitions too. Most notably is twelve to thirteen which makes you feel as though you are leaving the park. You walk through a fence, tee from a residential area, finish the hole, walk down a road and pick up at the entrance of the park. From that point on you'll never feel the solidarity of the park again. The views of the roads are just too distracting.
Other Thoughts: Of the three Daytona courses I played, this one was the best. It's a solid course and worth the drive. Being that I am not used to the Florida landscape, I found the features of the course to be quite unique. When I played, the canals and ditches were dry. I hope I get to make it there sometime when they are full of water. The three tees make it friendly for vacationing families or introducing new players. I recommend everyone try it once. Enjoy!

A&T

1    12/12/2010   12/17/2010
Review By: DelightSquad
Pros: A true, dedicated, and challenging course. Tuscawilla had a feel to it that kept me serious about my round.

-Ball golf layout feel
-Shot varieties
-Multiple and rotated pin placements
-Large rocks holding tee signs
-Bag holders
-Committed locals

Someone put some serious money and work into the terrain here, it's flat but has some ravines and lakes; two island greens and multiple bridges. The club here seems very committed by looking at the pavilion near 1/9 which is covered in local DG info.
Cons: Being it December when I played the course everything was dry. If this was July I would have to assume these lakes and streams would be full of water making this course painfully frustrating as described by other reviews.

-Pins can be hard to locate
-Old pins and not all identical
-Peds, park roads, and main roads near or in shots
-Noisy
-Semi-sketchy area

My biggest con here might be the lack of isolation. I like being out in a relaxed environment when I play and this course couldn't provide that except for a few holes on the back. Hole 6 is a terrible hole of disaster and I'd love to see a birdie on it by anyone! maybe that should be a positive.
Other Thoughts: While I felt a bit beaten and skeptical, this was an amazing course that offered a skill driven challenge. If not for the major chance of lost discs and ever present rat race in progress I would have rated this much higher. Try to be here in winter or bring you're serious A game.

Great course

2-4    6/22/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: IndyTyler
Pros: Good variety of shots. Nice tee pads. Great signs for tee pads. Aarows pointing to next hole. Easy to find discs in fairways. Interesting shots over water. No pedestrian problems for me.
Cons: the only problem we had were some fire ants that got on my girlfriends feet. some of the baskets arent the nicest but they work just fine.
Other Thoughts: there are turtles and lizards all over the place here. the locals are great. looked like they had a good league going. one kind guy returned a disc to me that i lost in the palms on hole 11. Thanks for returning it.

Great course great people. Definitely swing by this park if you are in the Daytona area.