Daytona Beach, FL
Tuscawilla Park Share
Uploaded By: jarrodh88   (Taken 7/2010)
Course Sign

Beautiful, well-kept, variety

5+    1/15/2012   1/17/2012
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: This is a very ideal disc golf course. It includes a shallow creek that runs through most of the park, creating a challenging, minor hazard. As many discs as my girlfriend and I have thrown in there, I've never gotten wet and never lost one. Multiple tee pads and pin placements for amateurs and pros. The park is well-kept, not overgrown. Signs are nailed to trees indicating where to go for the next hole, so you really don't spend any time getting lost.
Cons: Hole #7 usually requires you to throw across a small lake (about 200 ft.) or take a long bogey. I like this challenge, but it may not be for everyone. About 3-4 holes involve a brush/heavily wooded hazard, but its really not bad, and I've still never lost a disc.
Other Thoughts: This park is very scenic; with the lake, creek, and beautiful trees. Usually a few homeless people occupying the park, but they're always friendly.

Play be the Speedway!

1    7/30/2011   8/7/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Tuscawilla Park is a really fun course featuring fairways dotted with nice trees and plants, and water in shallow ponds, streams, and ditches sometimes. Nice mix of left and right turning holes, and a lot of interesting lines on predominantly flat ground.. There is an island hole (#14 I think) at the end of one of the longest fairways. I liked this course because there were plenty of opportunities for birds if you hit good drives. Perfect use of park space available. I didn't see much foot traffic aside from other disc golfers.

The tees have signs with maps mounted on large stone markers, next to nice concrete tees. Most holes also had short tees if I remember correctly. Baskets are all in good condition and usually not too hard to see from the box. Course flows nicely around the park, but a map could be useful in a couple of spots. There are bathrooms onsite.
Cons: Not much to change here. I had to wait to play through one or two large groups, and I suppose such a nice course will be crowded at times. Not a championship caliber course, but doesn't need to be.
Other Thoughts: Tuscawilla is a very fun course, and I am very glad I chose to stop and play there. Efficient and fun layout in a great disc golf park. I would be happy to be able to play a course like this on a regular basis. If you get the chance to play there you should definitely check it out!

1    7/31/2011   8/1/2011
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 8/2/2011
Pros: Tuscawilla Park has about 3 pin placements per hole and 2 tee pads (that I saw) on nearly every hole. This is a great feature on the course as it helps to keep it fresh and interesting so you're not playing the same course again and again. Tee signs are on rocks by the tee and a white marker tells you what pin position it's in today. That's extremely helpful with three pin positions and really cut down the amount of time I spent looking for the basket. The baskets also have a tall PVC pipe with a ribbon coming out of the top which make them easier to see. There's a pavilion with a large bulletin board that has a course map and info about local goings on. It has looping 9's.

The course is well designed so you'll find a good variety of shots and hole distances. I was expecting a completely flat course, which it is... but the little elevation they have was used very well. There were two elevated baskets when I played here. There are a few drainage ditches (dry when I was here) running through the course that have baskets strategically placed which added to the challenge. There are numerous water hazards on the course, but most are right off the tee. They're great for messing with your mental game, but I only recall two of them posing a real threat of losing a disc. The course has lots of large palm trees with only a few holes with underbrush to worry about. You really have to hit your lines to score well here.
Cons: I got lost going from 10 to 11, otherwise navigation wasn't too much of an issue. There are some small next tee signs in some places, but they're so small I could have missed seeing the one on that hole. I wish I had my camera with me so I could have taken a better picture of the course map to post on here. A printed map would have helped me some here.

A number of the tee signs were by the short pad so I had to walk by the long pad to read the sign and walk back. Some of them did have two tee signs though, one for the short and one for the long.

I totally threw at the wrong basket on 18. As I got closer to it, I saw it said 16x on it. I guess that's an extra practice basket, because I saw another basket by the pavilion labeled 19.
Other Thoughts: Overall I found this to be a fun and challenging course and I would recommend checking it out if you're in the area or passing by.

Locals perspective

5+    3/30/2011   3/31/2011
Review By: badams
Pros: A course with great verasatility, numerous pin placements and tee pads that accomodate all skill levels.

The difficulty of the course increases dramatically with each successive set of tee pads, more so than most courses I have played with multiple pads.

Rotaing pin placements keep the course interesting.

the course also sees a dramatic change in difficulty from summer to winter, summer sees water levels in the ponds and canals increase along with a lower celing from the abundance of vegetation on the course.

Club is very involved with the course and the course is well ,maintained by the city.
Cons: Some homeless on the course at times, they keep to themselves however.

Other Thoughts: The beginning golfer can enjoy them selves and feel challenged without being overwhelmed if playing from the rec or "C" pads, while the course will truly challenge players of more advanced skill sets from the longer pads.

all types of shots are required to get around the course and scores can balloon if not focused.

The course has water, wind, length, and technical requirements. The only thing keeping this course from being rated higher is elevation.

One of the few courses I have played with a true signature hole #7

Course flows nicely with the front nine playing through the interior of the park clockwise and the back nine ringing the outside counter clockwise

the tusc

5+    3/7/2011   3/9/2011
Review By: brockkcorb
Pros: excellent, very challenging, not for beginners
Cons: I would have to say the long placement on 6 and the long placement on 10 and 14 and the long placement(s) on 13 are not birdie-able but that is ok, the baskets move every month.
Other Thoughts: as a rhbh max d 400

1 short hyzer hole easy deuce , possible ace run
2 longer from the long pads, easy par
3 interesting hole over an early protected island, ace run possible
4 plays different from the a pad to the b pad no problem to par
5 first long hole (from the a pad) depending on the basket location. expect some occasional problems. if you hit an early tree expect a 250 upshot in order to hole out for par
6 just had a new placement installed. but there is a really long placement. hit or miss. birdie or 3 for anything other than long placement.
7 "lake hole" , depends on basket location. *it IS windy here too* if you go into the water there is a drop location on the right. watch and see where your disc goes in, don't get mad and turn around and yell an obscenity. watch it!
8 can you say skip ace? sorry lefties!
9 how far can you throw a straight shot?
10 should par, unless in long location *tough long a pad drive too* down the road abit, *dont throw at 8 basket, you'll be out of bounds* (new hole coming soon, just built a mound) after this hole walk down the road *past 8 and 7* to the next hole
11 not bad from b pads, a pad could cause some problems.. *stay in the fairway or you're gonna be in trouble*
12 easy unless pin is in far left location in the woods.
13 longest hole here, very scenic with a monument...... unless in short pad, lucky to get a par. it is the one hole i dread.
14 not a bad a hole.... either throw a huge 350 anny or down the 'trench' there are 2 routes, try to hit one of them good lefty hole.
15 ACE RACE
16 another trouble hole, look for par here.
17 this one can be birdied, careful you don't end up in the road off of an early tree.
18 short basket can be birdied, else, unless you can bomb it seek a par..

my handicap short pad even long pad 4

Feels like playing in Jurassic Park

1    2/27/2011   2/28/2011
Review By: WillACarpenter
Pros: 3 Concrete tee pads at each hole, decent signs at the A and B (two farther) tee pads for each hole that clearly state where the multiple pin locations are.

65 pin positions for the 18 baskets.

Pretty good use of the available space, though a few of the holes could be renumbered to make things flow a bit better.
Cons: This is Florida so no extreme elevation changes, one or two signs pointing to the next tee are missing.

Hard to find hole 1, didn't find much course information there, though I've seen pictures that it exists.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round here, I'd love to see the course with alternate pin positions, I feel there really is a lot of replay value here.

I feel that a few of the pin positions were just added to add more pin positions and not to add anything to the hole, one in particular made the hole pretty much a crap shoot because with the pin position you might park the hole and still skip into a pond from which your disc is not retrievable.

All in all it was pretty great, and I would certainly play there again any time.

Tuscawilla Park

1    12/22/2010   12/26/2010
Review By: craigd
Pros: This is a very enjoyable course that sprawls throughout a fairly pleasant park. You'll notice nice scenery as you make your way through the mature pine trees, palms, and various hardwoods. Some Spanish moss hanging from the trees adds to the atmosphere too. The trees offer plenty of summer shade too. There are a few areas of thick shrubs and low growing palms that help define the fairways but overall finding errant shots in them is not an impossible task. Many ditches, canals, bunkers, and islands also define the course and it really makes for one of a kind design. At times many of the low areas of those features are filled with water and it'll add a degree of difficulty to the course that's not found during dry times. It'll force you to carefully choose your shots and really adds tons of risk/reward to your round. The course is very fun to play and can be pretty challenging. From the long tees you find holes from under 200 feet to over 300 feet with a wide variety a shot shapes. A few of the alternate placements not on the map mixed in at over 400 feet. Left, right, and strait holes are all represented. Of course with all the pins being moved frequently you'll find a great mix and quite a bit of diversity.

The course has lots going for it in terms of amenities and design. You'll notice three concrete tees per hole in the beginning. The two longer of the three tee pads are full sized and the third shortest tee, obviously for juniors/recreational players, is only about 3 feet x 3 feet. No matter which tee you decide to play from, they'll serve you well. They have a nice rough surface and are level with the ground. Next you'll notice the tee signs. Perfect little areas hewn in small boulders have inlayed tee signs and have all the info you'll need about each hole, including current pin placement indicators. Speaking of the pin placements, there seems to be at least three per hole. As I mentioned earlier, I saw several holes that had even more alternate placements besides A, B, And C. They weren't mapped on the signs but they were indicated by distance with their respective letter on the markers, all of which were deeper than the originals. Six is probably the most remarkable with a very interesting and deep pin position and one that I would consider the signature hole for the course. The Innova baskets, though some of them are old, are in anywhere from passable to great shape. A course kiosk is near hole one with info and a course map. As you make your way through the course you'll also notice lots of bridges at all the right places. Finally there is a nice pavilion and parking area that seems to be dedicated solely to the disc golfers. It looks perfect for tournament central and worked great for a meeting area/rest area during our visit.
Cons: The layout was a little difficult to figure out at first. There are next tee signs where they count but even so a little extra searching is needed for a flawless flow. On top of that you'll have to really look for the basket a time or two which will require an occasional walk up the fairways. Seventeen's long tee was very distracting as you have to deal with an audience of dozens of cars at the traffic light near the tee. There are several holes that play near roads and are very distracting as well. There are a couple of weird transitions too. Most notably is twelve to thirteen which makes you feel as though you are leaving the park. You walk through a fence, tee from a residential area, finish the hole, walk down a road and pick up at the entrance of the park. From that point on you'll never feel the solidarity of the park again. The views of the roads are just too distracting.
Other Thoughts: Of the three Daytona courses I played, this one was the best. It's a solid course and worth the drive. Being that I am not used to the Florida landscape, I found the features of the course to be quite unique. When I played, the canals and ditches were dry. I hope I get to make it there sometime when they are full of water. The three tees make it friendly for vacationing families or introducing new players. I recommend everyone try it once. Enjoy!

A&T

1    12/12/2010   12/17/2010
Review By: DelightSquad
Pros: A true, dedicated, and challenging course. Tuscawilla had a feel to it that kept me serious about my round.

-Ball golf layout feel
-Shot varieties
-Multiple and rotated pin placements
-Large rocks holding tee signs
-Bag holders
-Committed locals

Someone put some serious money and work into the terrain here, it's flat but has some ravines and lakes; two island greens and multiple bridges. The club here seems very committed by looking at the pavilion near 1/9 which is covered in local DG info.
Cons: Being it December when I played the course everything was dry. If this was July I would have to assume these lakes and streams would be full of water making this course painfully frustrating as described by other reviews.

-Pins can be hard to locate
-Old pins and not all identical
-Peds, park roads, and main roads near or in shots
-Noisy
-Semi-sketchy area

My biggest con here might be the lack of isolation. I like being out in a relaxed environment when I play and this course couldn't provide that except for a few holes on the back. Hole 6 is a terrible hole of disaster and I'd love to see a birdie on it by anyone! maybe that should be a positive.
Other Thoughts: While I felt a bit beaten and skeptical, this was an amazing course that offered a skill driven challenge. If not for the major chance of lost discs and ever present rat race in progress I would have rated this much higher. Try to be here in winter or bring you're serious A game.

Worst course I've ever played

2-4    4/24/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: Snakeman
This review was updated on 12/24/2011
Pros: Drove past course on 9/11/2010 and saw baskets now have flags on top of them.
Cons: A poorly laid out course with difficult to find tees and baskets. Multiple tees are confusing and spread out. 12th tees are outside of park fence and the long tee is across a public street. Part of the back nine is along a 35 MPH road where there is heavy traffic, errant throws can end up in the road. Canals that run all over the course have steep and slippery banks. Need to have drivers and putters that float.
Other Thoughts: The many homeless men in park know the course and are very helpful in pointing out hard to find baskets. Some can give tips on which disc to throw. I suggest playing Reed Canal Park DGC or River City Nature Park DGC.

Great course

2-4    6/22/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: IndyTyler
Pros: Good variety of shots. Nice tee pads. Great signs for tee pads. Aarows pointing to next hole. Easy to find discs in fairways. Interesting shots over water. No pedestrian problems for me.
Cons: the only problem we had were some fire ants that got on my girlfriends feet. some of the baskets arent the nicest but they work just fine.
Other Thoughts: there are turtles and lizards all over the place here. the locals are great. looked like they had a good league going. one kind guy returned a disc to me that i lost in the palms on hole 11. Thanks for returning it.

Great course great people. Definitely swing by this park if you are in the Daytona area.