Bryan, TX
Austins Colony Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #6 (Taken 4/2011)

quirky

1    10/26/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -interesting variety of holes
-the holes are surprisingly challenging, you have to earn your duece
-baskets are in good shape
-signs are sufficient, but not the usual Houck goodness
-the basket placements are well-thought, many guarded baskets
Cons: -bring a map, navigation is tricky the first time
-long walk back to the first tee/parking lot from hole 9
-holes 4 & 5 are pretty doinky. that said, they're not easy either.
-plays behind the school next door. kind of weird walking through the playground to get back to the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: This course is just kind of an oddball. The design makes good use of what is there but what is there leaves a strange collection of holes.

I really like the first 2 holes, a tunnel then a short anny. Hole 3 is the obligatory long bomb and gets you to the next area of the course. Holes 4 & 5 duck into the heavy woods nearby. A good change of pace but they are kind of doinky. The last few holes play around the edges of some trees and the field.

Except for hole 3, you can reach most greens from the tee but placement is often necessary to have a good putt. It's typical of a Houck course that there are a lot of different kinds of shots, well-guarded baskets, and that it uses geographically separated areas with distinct terrain types. The quality and variety of the tee shots is more important than the course flow and cohesiveness.

Overall, a fun course that I would play again. Definitely worth checking out if you have time for multiple courses in College Station. Although it sucks to only have one 18 hole course around, it's cool that you can play a different 9 holer every day of the week.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Crashing the Colony

5+    10/23/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Austins Colony DGC is a pretty good 9 hole course, located around a school, and recreational area with covered basketball and tennis courts, archery range, walking trails, playground and more. A nice variety of long and short holes in lefts, rights, and a couple of doglegs. The tees are dirt, usually level and clear. All baskets are in place and in good working order. Several of the holes use thick rough and trees, effectively adding difficulty. Others are easy twos for experienced disc golfers. Scoring par is not a given.
Cons: Many other park users means occasional delays in play. A walking path crosses the course in places and ball fields border some holes. The ninth hole ends with a good walk back to the car. The course could be marked better, but after one time through is isn't hard to navigate. Two holes are missing tee signs. It was dry for my most recent round, but rains can leave muddy tee pads and puddles on the fairways.
Other Thoughts: Austins Colony offers a few challenging holes, and a fast nine with a lot of different looks. I played it often when I lived in the area, and still would if I were still there. It isn't the best course in town, maybe not in the top three, but I enjoy it all the same.

Underated 7-8 hole course

1    10/4/2011   10/5/2011
Review By: Turner512
Pros: Technical holes with slight vary in distance (for a 9 hole). Hole 1 is straight passage with a slight left hyzer at the end and walls of trees on either side. Only one path or tomahawk possibility. Hole 2 is a short right anhyzer hole with trees in front of the basket. Hole 3 is 500 feet requiring strategic shot selection. I couldn't find hole 4 or 5 but 6 hole with a couple routes but still a difficult hole to reach. Hole 7 is short but the pin is behind trees requiring accurate shots. Hole 8 is a straight shot along a tree line. Short so the straighter the throw the better. Hole 9 is one of my favorite holes. 400 feet with lots of trees in the fairway. Makes for careful shots and lots of heart ache.
Cons: Couldn't find hole 5. I know 4 has been stolen maybe 5 has also. No course map could have contributed to that. Some of the holes are around a football/sports field. Could be a potential issue depending on time of day.
Other Thoughts: I am probably biased towards technical courses but I do find this worthy of a higher rating. You should try it out if you are in the area. I'm a Blinn student and it is really close to campus. If I can find hole 5 I will update my review,

Needs Major improvement

5+    8/29/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: NUKE350
Pros: The holes that are present make for a good beginners course. Maybe one memorable hole in the very first one
Cons: However someone stole about 3-4 cages I can't remember exactly but I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone right now until they get this fixed. The holes that are there aren't worth throwing unless you live a few blocks away. Not a difficult course for experienced players. My Orion LF and Discraft SURGE worked best on most holes.
Other Thoughts: Until they update their DG course not many people will play it.

Not your Typical Houck Course

1    1/4/2010   1/4/2010
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 2/19/2012
Pros: There is enough variation in this nine hole course to use a repertoire of shots, and the overall length of the course is good. There is a nice creek and a wooded area for holes #4 and #5 with a different look from the beginning and ending parts of the course. There is ample parking, and it looks like this is an underplayed course compared to more prominent courses in the area.

BEST HOLE/S: #3; #5
Cons: Pin #4 is currently missing. Being in the heavily wooded area - I'm not surprised if it has been stolen, which is too bad because it takes so much away from the course. We used a tree about four feet from where the pin placement was as our target for this exceptionally easy 120' dog leg left. #4 seems more like a filler hole than the impressive tightly wooded creek-lined hole it could have been. #5 also looks like a lazy design choice picking an existing path rather than cut the forest a little to make a interesting shot.

In addition, #7 is a throwaway hole - a straightforward, barely treed 265' shot that seems like a throwback to older courses like Alex Clark Memorial DGC in McKinney. The signage is average in general, but sub standard to most Houck designed tee signs. Plus, besides hole #3, most are easy to drive in one. Really, the first three holes I believe are the best and the only reason it managed a 2.5 disc rating. Note, make sure you consult a map for the walks between #2 and #3 as well as between #3 and #4.

WORST HOLE/S: #7
Other Thoughts: Austin's Colony is not a bad course, however - I guess I just expect more when I come to a Houck course. The combine of straightforward lines, and no real wow factor, I would prefer to play the other courses if I was in the area. So, would I enjoy playing here if I lived close - sure, it makes for a fine home course. This just isn't the course I would drive out of my way to play, and certainly is at the bottom of the around 10 different Houck courses I have played.

Having finally played all of the current courses the Bryan/College Station area has to offer, I have made two separate lists for you to consider when making your next visit to Aggieland. I have ranked them first by overall course quality and then my personal enjoyment rating which varies a bit from the first list. Please note however, I enjoyed all of these courses, and none of them stood out as the clear favorite.

Course Rating and Quality:
5. Oaks Park 2;
6. Bonham Park 1.5;
7. First Baptist Bryan DGC 1;
8. Tiffany Park 1.

Personal Enjoyment: (1 is best & 5 is worst)
1. Southern Oaks Park
7. First Baptist Bryan DGC
8. Tiffany Park

1    2/21/2009   2/26/2009
Review By: sidewinding
Pros: There is good parking and a restroom close to hole #1.

This is a very technical little nine hole course that requires both accuracy and distance. There are a couple of straight, narrow tunnel shots that have a high pucker factor due the cedars lining the fairway. There are a couple of short curving fairways that are very fun due to the blind ace potential.

There is a football/soccer field that the course plays around. It is a great place to work on your drives after you finish a warmup round.
Cons: It has dirt tee pads and some missing signs.

This is a very flat course with no real epic or memorable holes.

The two longest holes on the course are also the most heavily wooded with no real "fair"ways. If it's your lucky day you might par one of these two holes.

The #3 teepad is hard to find, even with a map. You have to walk all the way around behind the archery range. The #5 tee is also hard to find , even with a map, because the sign is missing. You have to cross the bridge and the tee is to the right imediately past the bridge (I think. That's where we tee'd from).

Be careful on Hole #5. I skip faded around the short but blind curve and heard my disc hit the chains. When I got up there I found my disc in the creek about five feet to the left of the basket.

After you finish hole 9 you have a long walk around a big rec center looking building to get back to the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: This would be a great place for a local to work on their shot shaping but I would not drive out of my way to play this course. It has a high frustration factor which gives it a low fun factor.

More Technical than Power

2-4    1/24/2009   2/18/2009
Review By: ERicJ
This review was updated on 8/5/2010
Pros:
A well designed 9-hole course that has a pretty good balance of holes. For RHBH players there's one anhyzer, five mostly straight shots, and three hyzer shots. No significant elevation, but good use of trees to make challenging shots. Tee signs are very well done.

A nice multi-use park with all the amenities including bathrooms, plus a roller hockey rink and archery range above and beyond the standard fare.
Cons:
First timers absolutely need a map as the transition from #2 to #3 is not obvious and #4 & #5 can easily be missed if you don't know where they are.

There's more walking than you might expect from a 9-hole course. #9 does not finish close to where #1 starts.

Stay out of the creek because that water is nasty. The park isn't filthy, but it definitely has its share of litter.
The weather was poor when I played thus the park was mostly empty other than the golfers at the tournament, so I can't speak much to the possibility of interference from other park patrons but I can see where that might be an issue during peak periods.

#1 starts off with a fairly wide tree lined fairway shot with a slight hyzer fade at the end. #2 is the biggest anhyzer shot on the course. #3 is long at almost 550'. #4 is a very challenging 120' sharp left curve that abuts the creek so don't overthrow it. #5 will test your straight throwing, tree dodging ability. #6 is a straight, slight anhyzer shot with a gap to hit 2/3 of the way down the fairway. #7 is a pretty easy straight or hyzer shot. #8 and #9 have a pond area which a local told me is almost always dry. #8 is a straight shot ~160' over the pond which should be easy to clear for most players. #9 is a great hole: it takes an almost perfect shot to put yourself in birdie position and that's assuming the pond is dry. If there's water then the hole changes completely as the OB risk wouldn't be worth the reward.

Bottom line is that I thought the course was technically okay, but I just didn't get a great vibe from it that would inspire be to go out of my way for this course.

Fun if you're in the Area

5+    4/8/2003   12/8/2008
Review By: gsw_03
Pros: Nice course layout with good use of the available land. Many different routes available on most holes. Thick shule makes accuracy paramount.
Cons: Long drive from anything in the B/CS area. Couple of holes in the woods are very short and lacking originality.
Other Thoughts: Nice change of pace from Research and Camelot (which has since been removed- what a shame). Controlled players with a bit of distance will score well.