Danville, VA
Ballou Park DGC - Course #2 Share
Uploaded By: KenTyburski Hole #13 (Taken 9/2011)

Sweet Spot

1    1/8/2012   2/1/2012
Review By: widespreadpanic
Pros: Great Signs
Awesome changes in elevation.
Nice use of woods.
Challenging
Cons: Mostly middle range 300-350ft.
Confusing to get to, played the short par 9 next to it by accident first.
Could use more trash cans.
Other Thoughts: I played this course in the winter so I'm not sure what it plays like in full foliage, but I've got to say I'm surprised it has such a low rating. I think people are being overly picky. This course is sick, I wish it was in my home town.

1    1/25/2012   1/26/2012
Review By: stoner04
Pros: multiple concrete tees on almost every hole
clean park
course flows well
variety of shots(short/long, H/S/A, up/down)
great signage
next tee indicators painted on baskets and on signs
Cons: a few trees need to be removed to make actual lines on some wooded holes, a little luck will get you out.
basket for 11 hard to see from either tee.
the rough is very rough
Other Thoughts: overall the course has come a long way and many attempts have been made to correct its flaws

5+    2/1/2011   8/1/2011
Review By: 11abush11
This review was updated on 2/6/2012
Pros: -Just added pro level tees that bring some more thrill to the course.
-Nice use of woods and elevation.
-Challanging course all together.
The new blue pads are nice becuase it gives you a total different look at each hole.
-Nice course for leftys, and rightys with fairness along the whole course.
Cons: -All the holes except 16 and 18 are short so no grip and rip on this course unless you play the blues.
-Unforgiving thick woods with poison ivy.
-Not a huge fan of the tee signs just because of new players or beginners that haven't played the course can't really see where the basket is or the view around the basket just a red dot in the middle of a tree or in a hill if the basket isnt straight ahead, but thats just being picky.
Other Thoughts: -Only reason I don't 4.5 star this course is because they could really get some alternate pins going with the layout and land.
-Good mix of wood holes and open field throws, but not enough distance difference on the holes.
-On a lot of holes you are forced to throw on one line alone, but there is no OB or mandos. because of unforgiving trees...
-I like the course for an accuracy skill shot course.
-A practice basket and new billboard sign for information and directions along the course is a plus!
- Locals are very nice and they play on Thursday evenings.
- Tournaments are fun with lots of prizes for everyone even raffles!

fun yet challenging

2-4    11/23/2010   11/27/2010
Review By: mcannon246
Pros: challenging but not to hard. I made some incredible shots on this course. the first time i played this course I was a beginner I shot some where between 8 to 10 over. played it again and shot my best game I have ever played.
Cons: It was super hard to figure out where hole one was. After I found it, It wasn't to bad to find the next. some holes are pars should not be the par it should be i made 3 eagles which i shouldn't have. and a considerable about of birdies. I mean its kinda a con and kinda a pro.
Other Thoughts: I ended up shooting the best I have ever shot on a course 11 under par.

A Nice (and getting better!) Local Course

5+    5/14/2011   9/21/2010
Review By: KenTyburski
This review was updated on 5/14/2011
Pros: 1. Variety of hole layouts (left vs. right, up vs. down, open vs. tight, etc.). For the rec player, there are plenty of opportunities for a wide selection of throwing styles and disc usage. I took my brother to Ballou for his first round, and I think he would say it's not a bad place to learn the game.
2. I find the fairways to be pretty well-maintained, although many of them have been chewed up a little to pour concrete for tees (5/14/11). The rough and trees are just enough in most cases for good risk-reward shots. Better to play when it's colder - less foliage and poison ivy.
3. The general park is well-used during the days and early evenings, and there are a number of locals around willing to walk a round with any visitors. However, I wouldn't recommend a glow round - Ballou isn't the best after dark.
4. Almost every hole (except #7) have had concrete tee pads poured in the last month. (5/14/11)
5. Additional longer tees have been added to most holes in the last month. (5/14/11)
Cons: 1. Not enough challenging length for the above-average player. I think the course is of sufficient length for rec players, or for the above-average player working on accuracy.
2. The course could use multiple pin locations for each hole.
3. Overall signage could use improvement.
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I ever really played a full round on, so it holds a place dear to my heart (that and it is the closest course to me geographically). Because it's close, I play this course once or twice a week, and I find it to be enjoyable each time I play. And since I know the course well, I really appreciate it as a place to test new discs and practice different throwing styles. The recent improvements should make it a course you might want to go a little out of your way to play.

Fantastic.

1    9/12/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: XCaliber
Pros: Fantastic Course! Excellent use of terrain.

The first five holes are the best.
1-A beautiful shot downhill through a grove of pine trees to a basket near the creek.
2-Hyzer over a hill to the basket nestled under some trees.
3-Beautiful downhill shot over the creek.
4-First hole in the woods over a ravine.
5-My favorite hole on the course. The tee box is on level with the basket. There is a ravine with a small meadow and a steep hill up to the basket. Beautifully designed!

The rest of the holes are fantastic as well, weaving through the woods. Many holes with nice grass fairways. The course ends with a long bomb over a field.
Cons: ~Dirt tees in the woods are very short on some holes.
~Some tee signs are missing
~Some tee signs don't say what the par is for that hole.
Other Thoughts: Great course! Would play again. I loved the grass fairways on some of the holes. The designer did a fantastic job of looking at the terrain and picking the best possible configuration for the holes.