Danville, VA
Ballou Park DGC - Course #2 Share
Uploaded By: KenTyburski Hole #3 (Taken 9/2011)
Hole #3 Pro/Am Tee

fun yet challenging

2-4    11/23/2010   11/27/2010
Review By: mcannon246
Pros: challenging but not to hard. I made some incredible shots on this course. the first time i played this course I was a beginner I shot some where between 8 to 10 over. played it again and shot my best game I have ever played.
Cons: It was super hard to figure out where hole one was. After I found it, It wasn't to bad to find the next. some holes are pars should not be the par it should be i made 3 eagles which i shouldn't have. and a considerable about of birdies. I mean its kinda a con and kinda a pro.
Other Thoughts: I ended up shooting the best I have ever shot on a course 11 under par.

A Nice (and getting better!) Local Course

5+    5/14/2011   9/21/2010
Review By: KenTyburski
This review was updated on 5/14/2011
Pros: 1. Variety of hole layouts (left vs. right, up vs. down, open vs. tight, etc.). For the rec player, there are plenty of opportunities for a wide selection of throwing styles and disc usage. I took my brother to Ballou for his first round, and I think he would say it's not a bad place to learn the game.
2. I find the fairways to be pretty well-maintained, although many of them have been chewed up a little to pour concrete for tees (5/14/11). The rough and trees are just enough in most cases for good risk-reward shots. Better to play when it's colder - less foliage and poison ivy.
3. The general park is well-used during the days and early evenings, and there are a number of locals around willing to walk a round with any visitors. However, I wouldn't recommend a glow round - Ballou isn't the best after dark.
4. Almost every hole (except #7) have had concrete tee pads poured in the last month. (5/14/11)
5. Additional longer tees have been added to most holes in the last month. (5/14/11)
Cons: 1. Not enough challenging length for the above-average player. I think the course is of sufficient length for rec players, or for the above-average player working on accuracy.
2. The course could use multiple pin locations for each hole.
3. Overall signage could use improvement.
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I ever really played a full round on, so it holds a place dear to my heart (that and it is the closest course to me geographically). Because it's close, I play this course once or twice a week, and I find it to be enjoyable each time I play. And since I know the course well, I really appreciate it as a place to test new discs and practice different throwing styles. The recent improvements should make it a course you might want to go a little out of your way to play.

Fantastic.

1    9/12/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: XCaliber
Pros: Fantastic Course! Excellent use of terrain.

The first five holes are the best.
1-A beautiful shot downhill through a grove of pine trees to a basket near the creek.
2-Hyzer over a hill to the basket nestled under some trees.
3-Beautiful downhill shot over the creek.
4-First hole in the woods over a ravine.
5-My favorite hole on the course. The tee box is on level with the basket. There is a ravine with a small meadow and a steep hill up to the basket. Beautifully designed!

The rest of the holes are fantastic as well, weaving through the woods. Many holes with nice grass fairways. The course ends with a long bomb over a field.
Cons: ~Dirt tees in the woods are very short on some holes.
~Some tee signs are missing
~Some tee signs don't say what the par is for that hole.
Other Thoughts: Great course! Would play again. I loved the grass fairways on some of the holes. The designer did a fantastic job of looking at the terrain and picking the best possible configuration for the holes.

Frustrated

1    4/26/2010   4/26/2010
Review By: chrissauls
This review was updated on 4/29/2010
Pros: -Beautiful park
-Elevation changes on most holes
-Subway near by
-Easy
-Family park with a hugh playground for the kids.
Cons: -Dirt tee spots. Dirt pads would be an improvement.
-Trees in the middle of fairways
-Lazy course design
-Short...Very short. agonizing short..
Other Thoughts: When I drove into the park, my excitement level was at an all time high. Rolling hills, mature hardwoods, creeks. What a gem. Those thoughts quickly evaporated after the 5th hole. After playing the 1st few short holes, I was really looking for a challenge and it never came. There were so many missed opportunities with this course design, I couldn't help but think what could have been. In my assessment, it has to be one of the following:
1. The designer's hands were tied by parks and rec. He must have been on a short leash
2. The design is to accommodate children, families, and grand parents.
3. The intent was to design an intermediate course.

There are some very cool holes but far too many poor ones. Some tweaking to the pin positions and lengthening some holes would really make a difference. The club seems to be really active with concrete pads on 5 holes and more to come. While playing, someone approached me about a kids event they had planned so it's good to see someone is trying to make a difference.

Hole 1 is right past the playground on left.

Worth the visit once..

Pleasant and Enjoyable

2-4    4/24/2010   4/24/2010
Review By: axl_rose
Pros: Nice setting in an older public park. Lots of elevation changes and some short thows offering a more technical course on a few of the pins. There no long bombs on this course. The park was clean and quiet with very few others playing on a Saturday morning. Easy day trip from NC and close enough to Lake's Edge in Reidsville to hit both.
Cons: Some sign markings not clear and not all holes have concrete tee pads yet. I can see improvements being made though. Not a pro level course but just a good intermediate course.
Other Thoughts: #15 was fun and easy to birdie. I also like #7. All round fun short run course to play. Makes a great course to loop in with Lakes Edge in Reidsville. There is a Subway right across the street from the park which made it easy to grab something after playing. I used the old nine hole course as a warm up to this one.

sexy open couse

2-4    3/29/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: mhdisc03
Pros: awsome for the long thrower with woods game also. great pads and baskets.12 holoes over 330 most sighns atre wrong with the distance, but it was just put in. beautiful bridges no course maintance needed just a few mor pds. and the woods hole are great just need to move some of the pins back or need pro pads also. if you look around you'll see where locals hav put up bricks of logs to make a better pad, but only need it done on 3 wood holes. the rest of hte course is no repetative an unique. one hole we got lost on bout half waly through you con bak to where you were to holes ago just walk to the top of the field and youll see a tee sighn.
Cons: no cons- hope you guys get a great local disc club going it would b a nice place for a tourney. has a 9 hole course u can warm up ont no worth it to the advanced player 1 set of chains it on the east side of the park. the big course is behind the play ground
Other Thoughts: probly watch yur self near dark. had acop waiting on us when we were leaving the 1st day. but he was real cool just telling us bad people go to the park at night, but its location is in the rich part of town, so dont worry if your playing iITS JUST A CRACK TOWN TO BE REAL but the park is in the rich part of town so we do it for the love of disc golf

Pleasant hills

2-4    9/15/2009   2/12/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
+There are elevation changes on every hole. Most are moderate, with the greatest a drop of 24 ft. Perfectly balanced with 9 Up/ 9 Down. This includes 9 valley holes that are either down then back up or Up-Down. Add to that nice terrain with a good mix of grass and woods (6 Wooded/ 12 Mixed) and you have a pleasant place.
+Good balance of fairway shapes. 8 Straight/ 5 Left/ 5 Right
+ Mach V baskets
Cons:
-Tees are dirt and not marked well. The below average tee quality stands out to me as the biggest area that needs to be improved.
-Not many amenities. There's a good bathroom, but no map, no score cards, no warm up basket, no benches, no trash cans.
-It may just be my impression, but the park seemed to be in a kind of shady area of town and several cars in the parking lot felt kind of sketch.
Course Level = White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 875-925)
The course is rather short (4505 ft) with most holes under 300 ft. (4 of 135-199/ 11 of 200-299/ 3>300 are 310, 345, 425), so it's more suitable for shorter throwers. Big arms won't be very challenged.

The course didn't "Wow" me, but there were a few really fun holes, and my enjoyment was above average. It's a pleasant course with nice terrain and lots of elevation variety. I wouldn't go out of my way and plan a trip just to play here, but if you're driving by it's a nice place.

NOTE: Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole evaluations, and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my reviews and rating notes at the Yahoo Group, DG Course Reviews

Dantastic!

1    6/8/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Well elevated, moderately wooded and open. Most holes had no trees in fairway or very few. Fairways well defined. Pretty fun, lots of birdie and ace opportunities. Average hole length probably around 250-275. Decent signage listing distance and hole location.
Cons: No variety. All holes virtually straight ahead with very few blind tees. Dirt tees but were not ruddy. Dubious pars listed, (hole 15 definitely a par 3, not a 5). Confusing to follow from hole to tee. Not clear where it starts. Hole 18 puts you nowhere near hole 1 (head toward the big brick building with smoke stacks in the distance and veer to the right). More than a few briers and poison ivy. Some disc eating monsters on the left of hole 12. No benches which stunk b/c it is hilly.
Other Thoughts: Signature/Favorite Hole: #15, a pleasant hole with the tee more or less level with the hole but a gully and creek in between.
A fairly fun course that has decent length but it is really repetitive. The park is nice but seemed fairly old. I played left-handed (I'm a righty) for the 2nd time ever and finished this course a nice 4+ including 3 birdies. Wouldn't plan a huge road trip to play it but it is worth playing for sure. I'd rate it a 2.75 if I could.

nice layout

2-4    5/15/2009   5/22/2009
Review By: brian j
Pros: excellent layout with lots of wooded holes (i like wooded courses). the course also uses the topography of the park well and has lots of elevation change. you will get a work out if you're into that (i am).

each tee pad has a sign describing the hole and the direction to the next hole so it is easy to follow.

see below for a discription of each hole. this course is very challenging and will test your skills. i especially liked holes 5 and 14 even though i lost a teebird on 14.

ballou park is a nice park and it is very well maintained. it also evident there is a strong disc golf club in the area and each hole has a sponsor.
Cons: in general natrual tee pads suck and these aren't any different. depressions are starting to form and since it had just rained the tee pads were very slick. i often had to tee off from behind the tee or to the side.

also poison ivy is everywhere in the park and in one place it was waist high. if you come in the spring/summer where long pants.

lastly i had trouble finding this course inside the park. the 9 hole is easy to find but i could find no signs pointing me to the first tee. i ended up asking a maintenance worker and he pointed me in the right direction.
Other Thoughts: again this is a challenging course with a lot of variety, if you like trees. if they add some concrete tee pads and a few benches this course would be a 4 or 5.

i live in norther virginia and come down every year for the bbq contest in may, and i will be bringing my discs again fer sure.

Could use some work

1    2/16/2009   2/27/2009
Review By: Yank it Right
Pros: Hole #4 across the ravine to a basket perched on the hill sloped green. Nice park atmosphere. Real nice hole on the back shooting to basket perched on flat top of hill through nice gap.
Cons: No benches. Missing tee signs. Hole #10 or Hole #11 really left a bad taste in my mouth. Absolutely no fairway. Truly someone put a tee log in the ground and a basket 175 feet away and did nothing else. (I understand a plinko hole, but there isn't a path that is 3 feet wide on this hole) Would not play this course in the summertime the rough, briers, and poison ivy would be stupid. No scorecards maps or next tee signs.
Other Thoughts: 3 or 4 really nice holes, but too many just bad holes to give any higher of a rating. I would play again if I was in the area. If someone would clean up the briers at least ten feet within the fairway and redesign about 4 holes/make a fairway could be a solid course. Field holes were nice and thought out but stretch of putter holes in the woods and poor flow really detract from the course.
Truly with redesign on about 3 or 4 holes I think I would really like this course, but the bad holes are really bad.