Clarkston, MI
Hole #3 Pro Tee

Nice Quick Round

1    6/20/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Bay Court Park DGC has a lot of things going for it.

1) The groundskeeping is immaculate. It seems to be mowed regularly. I didn't notice any litter at all.

2) Navigation was easy since it is very open. It wasn't difficult to discern where the designer wanted you to go next. No need for scouting each hole or sending spotters. Everything was straightforward.

3) This is a very safe environment for disc golf. You are under surveilance which tends to keep out those who might vandalize the equipment. The park is in a nice area. It is quiet and leisurely.

4) The course is well-designed for its intended audience. Will there ever be major championships held at this course? No. It is designed for the casual player or to introduce newcomers to the sport. I will explain more about what I mean on this topic in the "Other Thoughts" section.

5) Elevation changes were used well by the designer including some tricky pin placements.
Cons: 1) Etiquette. It is hard to relax when you have an open course with many newbies and a disc. First, you never know where the disc is going when they throw it and this is an open course. Second, they don't know not to throw until the group ahead has holed-out. This is common of courses tailored to newbies.

2) For an experienced player, the design is very basic. Everyone can throw a hyzer. The anhyzer is tested a few times, but on most holes there are multiple routes due to the open layout.

3) Hole 9 left a lot to be desired as a finishing hole. You tee of from just inside the woods. It is a tunnel hyzer out into the field where the basket is placed. Not very long and not very challenging at all. It is by far the worst hole on the course. It is the only hole that has a wooded tunnel, and that may make some newbies believe it to be difficult, but it poses no challenging element to a regular player.
Other Thoughts: This is a typical 9-hole course and that is why I have rated it as such. It serves its purpose in the disc golf world. It introduces newcomers to the game. It makes a newbie consider shot shapes that they might not have learned yet, which I think is a plus. Newbies need to learn what shots they would need to ashoot well at a more-established and challenging course. Bay Court offers a great opportunity for them to refine their skills. It may be dangerous if one of them uncorks an out-of-control forehand shot in your neighborhood while you are teeing off. But the course is what it is.

While I feel the course was designed for newer players, it does offer a quick practice round for competitve disc golfers in the area. There are enough obstacles to make you think. It would be a great course for someone who is an average player and wants to become a really good player. Simply take a few discs out to this course and work on throwing different shapes with the molds you are most comfortable with.

Would I recommend this course? It all depends. If you are fairly raw and want a good place to learn...I would absolutely recommend it. If you are already a good player and are looking for a quick round in the area...I would absolutely recommend it. Is it a destination course, or a course that will ever hold higher level tourneys...no.

Also, just for thought, I am not sure how much land the park actually has, but from my guess 9 holes is going to be the max for this course. I didn't recognize any areas that could be developed for future holes. Many courses start with 9 and then get up to 18 eventually. I doubt this is a capability for Bay Court.

"Let this serve as your final warning"

1    6/15/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: So says the sign by hole #1 as you walk up, making you mindful that you are under 24 HOUR SURVELLIANCE. This course clearly has some $$$ behind it. Immaculately groomed, gloriously kept, it even comes complete with a Desperate Housewives minvan carivan mid-round, and a constant gardener on a zero-turn mower! Ladies and gents, this is UPPER CLASS AMERICANA.

The layout is spectacular; everything in its right place. Great use of elevation especially, and the hole length is proper. Dual tees on every hole w/cement tee pads. Everything one could ever want in signage. The holes play pretty open, with some older trees spotting the landscape. Not too many obstacles, but a great round over all. Hyzers and Anhyzers used here.
Cons: The baskets. These are weird. Gargantuan. Odd to putt at. Like, I don't know how to aim correctly at them or something. I've never seen baskets like these. Maybe it's just me. They seemed taller? I hit the bottom basket three times from short range. Whatever.

Hole #9 seems almost an afterthought, squeezed in towards the back of the park. All the others were well placed and layed out. Hmm.
Other Thoughts: Everything about this course oozes class. Some room off to the east to maybe carve out another 9 holes? Only having 9 holes means the max I'll give this course is 3/5, but it deserves every bit of that rating. If I could afford to live up in Clarkston/Waterford, I would play this course ALL the time. But I can't, so I don't, so I won't.

PLAY IT AND LOVE IT.

Pretty Impressed

1    6/15/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: toxicgolfer
Pros: The best I thing I can say about this park is that it is super clean and very well maintained. Nice cement tee pads at every hole with the option of pro or am shots on most holes was a nice touch. There is nice signage at each tee pad and it is super easy to navigate.

There weren't very many bugs despite the weather being overcast and muggy.

Overall, this was a pretty awesome course for 9 holes and I would play this very frequently if I lived near it.
Cons: This course is fairly easy, even from the pro tees and there isn't a whole lot of variation or elevation changes (though there is a little).

Biggest con would be the type of baskets that they used. The chains do not catch well and the catching basket is a bit oversized.
Other Thoughts: This is by far the best 9-hole course that I have played due to the cleanliness and great maintenance.

I don't know how much property is owned by the Parks and Rec for this particular lot but it appears that there is plenty of room to expand into the woods and open a full 18 hole course.

A full 18 could raise it another 0.5 points if plotted properly. Changing to another style of basket would also raise it another 0.5 points.

2-4    5/13/2010   5/13/2010
Review By: jansenk4
This review was updated on 9/3/2010
Pros: -This is where I would take beginners out to play or try out new discs.
-Not too long if you want a short game
-Like above, only 2 (by road), 5 (by woods), and 9 (by woods) pose any chance of you not finding your disc right away
-Very clean park, a nice course to play
Cons: -Probably wouldn't play this course more than a few times if it weren't with a group of people
Other Thoughts: I used this course as a practice course to TRY OUT NEW SHOTS AND DRIVERS I had never used to observe flight patterns. (ex. when I started trying a forehand drive)

Bay Court: what Civic Center wishes it was

5+    9/12/2009   9/12/2009
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 7/15/2012
Pros: - New pin placements from last summer. Second set of sleeves/collars installed means pin placements can be easily varied from time to time (although the alternate placements do not alter the holes that much). I think they may change them from year to year to avoid excessive wear & tear around the baskets (pretty slick if you ask me)!
- 9 hole course with long and short concrete tee pads on each hole. Can play shorts and longs for 18 holes. On holes 1,5, and 6, both tee pads play very differently, and will likely change the disc you use and line you take. Most of the others just add more distance while requiring little or no change in your line.
- Moderate elevation changes.
- Simple layout, virtually foolproof navigation between holes. First-timers just need to know to cross the dirt road between 3 and 4 (and even that's hard to mess up).
- Mostly wide-open with minimal use of obstacles makes it a great course for beginners.
- VERY well maintained. Park is kept in immaculate condition: decent tee signs with no graffiti, baskets and tee pads always in excellent condition. I don't recall ever seeing any trash on the ground here.
- Quiet, multi-use park with rest rooms near parking area.
- Doesn't take long to get around the course (even with the moderate traffic during peak hours).
- Holes 2, 5, and 9 are the only ones where losing a disc is even a possibility (but still not too likely).
Cons: - Chance of hitting cars entering park when driving on hole 4.
- Not much shot variety despite elevation changes. Of the 18 tee pads, long and straight will set you up quite well on 15 of them.
- Tee signs are good, but it would be nice to have distances from all tee pads, not just most of them (admittedly nit-picky, but I found it a bit frustrating).
- Course is laid out for drive and putt or drive and 2-putt. Midrange only required if you hit a tree, and the way the course is laid out, not all that likely (hole 3 will make you pay with a very nasty roll if you're anything over a bit long).
- Pay to play; I don't normally complain about this, but this course simply isn't as good as the other pay to play courses in the area, and it's just not worth it. I honestly think they just did it to cut down on the amount of traffic this course gets - since ther's really nothing else near it.
Other Thoughts: I'm not hating on this course. I strive to be objective and fact based in my reviews, and have done my best be nothing but in my Pros & Cons above.

Here, I will provide my unadulterated opinion: I cannot say this is a bad course, but I cannot say it is a good course either. Not to sound trite, but the only challenge for intermediate players here is avoiding a bad shot. Shooting par here doesn't really require any good shots (not saying I nail everything - I still make bad shots).

Despite all the pros listed, this course lacks "character" and feels uninspiring. While the setting is pleasant, it simply feels sterile and bland. No holes stand out, or really get my blood pumping.

The park is far from ugly or nasty; it's always clean and well cared for - but it isn't scenic either. This course provides a nice, pleasant, but completely uneventful round. If I play well, I don't feel any real sense of accomplishment. If I play badly, I don't feel any pain. I've played here several times, and while I enjoy a pleasant round here, I simply can't get excited about this place. The only real thrill I would take away from this course would be hitting an Ace. Like other "recreational activities," disc golf doesn't necessarily have to be all that good for you to have a good time. ;)

If you're going to be in the area, I certainly recommend dropping in to throw a quick round or two - it's a nice pleasant round. But I wouldn't encourage going out of your way to "experience" this course, and would definitely discourage driving 45+ minutes with this course as a destination.

THE REAL REVIEW

5+    8/12/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: yes s1rr
Pros: NEW PIN PLACEMENTS, this is no longer a kiddy course. I dont know what ppl are talking about this is good for your mid short game/no difference from am to pro tees, this course is complete opposite, there is a huge difference from pro tees to am tees, also this course is very good for your driving lol not your midgame, you shouldnt need a midgame here driver 3 350 then putt, if you hit a tree then get your buzzz out. Most holes over 300'
Cons: They have an extra set of sleeves so they should move the pins back and forth occasionally, def. too crowded on a nice day.
Other Thoughts: Also you can lose a disc there easier than everyone thinks you can that is of course unless your one of those that puts it 2 250' out into the middle of the fairway you should be good. anyone who says this course is to easy, is probably lying they def. shot above par

Easy beginner course

5+    9/24/2008   11/5/2008
Review By: NEWBY1151
This review was updated on 11/26/2008
Pros: Cement pads,signs,clean park, restrooms,not very busy from my experience,hard to loose a disc,this is a fairly easy course with wide fairways,you can play a round quickly,lots of ACE and birdie chances,great for beginners,overall a fun little course
Cons: Not much difference from pro to am tees,no long holes,not much of a challenge,park closes gates at 8,not much variety,9 holes
Other Thoughts: Great for practicing mid and short game

1    10/1/2008   10/13/2008
Review By: Trickydrd
Pros: Very well manicured park. A couple of good drives and several elevation changes make this an interesting course. Decent use of the landscape and no real interference from other park users.
Cons: Only 9 holes. Very wide open fairways, only 2 or three real obstacles to line drives.
Other Thoughts: If I am in the area I would play this again but wouldn't go out of my way to get there.

Great Free Couse

5+    8/22/2008   8/24/2008
Review By: detroitplaymakers
Pros: Great for practice or beginner course!!! wide open.. can't loose a disc.. unless it runs away from you. Hole 4 has a nice bend to the right.
Get there early in the morning and you won't run into the young punks
Cons: It's free!! what could you complain about.. unless your just that type of person!!!!!
Other Thoughts: a good little course

Good beginner track

1    8/2/2000   8/2/2008
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 5/4/2011
Pros: Clean park. Very little schule. Difficult to lose a disc. Easy to navigate. Two sets of tees. Still a decent challenge/practice course for advanced players.

Good tee pads and baskets.

There's good variety of shot shapes for just nine holes. A solid white level challenge with enough variety in options to give more advanced players a bit of a workout.
Cons: Crowded at times.
Other Thoughts: This course doubles as a a gentle introduction to the game for beginners and a place for better players to continue to work on their games.

Rumors circulate from time to time that this course will be pulled due to vandalism. If you're out there, please do what you can to keep the property picked up and gently encourage the kids to respect the property.

Remember: Don't be a dirty disc golfer. If you pack it in, pack it out!