Becker, MN
Becker City Park Share
Uploaded By: Bubbajoe Hole #11 (Taken 7/2011)

sub par course

1    7/12/2013   7/12/2013
Review By: Wetlawnmulch
Pros: There are 6-8 well designed holes.
You have the course mostly to yourself
Cons: One of the poorest courses for signage. Lucky I had my phone and the map from this site. Poor guy in front of me left 2 mins before I started and I caught him on hole 5 because he didn't know where to go.
Most of the wooded holes are pull and pray, but even a bad shot should be a 3.
Distances on the long tees are completely in accurate. I'm a 400 ft average driver, the sign said 340 ft and I was still 20 feet short.
Other Thoughts: There are too many good courses in this area to ever play this course again. The ovetall course design is very poor considering the space between holes and overall space available.

Average

1    4/27/2013   4/27/2013
Review By: Murderous Monkey
Pros: -Short and long tees
-Nice baskets
-Some elevation changes
-Blend of both open "field" holes and wooded holes.
Cons: -Poorly marked, missed a hole because we didn't know where to go.
-Too many other trails as someone else mentioned that I could see (and we did) going down the wrong trail.
-Some lower areas where water puddles, can see this being a bug-magnet.
-Tees are not uniform, some of the concrete ones are short, others longer.
-As another reviewer said, the plastic yardage markers are smashed, and I'm not too sure they are accurate.
Other Thoughts: Pretty decent course, I'll hopefully play it again before I leave, but it was an average course.

Beginner/Intermediate

1    7/22/2012   8/29/2012
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in the back portion of a large multi-use park, away from the playgrounds and such. The disc golf is pretty well separated from any other activities, except for horse trails and a run-down pavilion.
- A good amount of the holes here are set in the woods or forest in some way or another. There are holes with tighter, almost tunnel-like lines with lots of small trees to avoid off the fairway, like #1, #2, #3, #6, the first half of #7, #9, and #15 thru #17. Decent job of mixing up RHBH hyzer shots, straight shots, and anny/flick shots. #7, for instance, is a sharp hyzer/dogleg left past a tight gap, #3 finishes uphill and right under some mature trees, #16 is a sharper flick shot, pretty good variety.
- Other holes have more open lines, with mature trees and larger patches of forest to get around. #4 is a downhill shot that is a RHFH or RHBH hyzer around a big row of trees, #8 is an uphill shot underneath a large, low hanging tree, #11 has a gap off the tee into a more open area, and #12 and #13 are pretty open with low and wide bushes/trees to avoid. #5 is the most open; a nice long downhill bomber.
- Some elevation changes present here, like the big downhill shot on #5, some decent uphill shots on #7 and #8, a little downhill slope on #9 and #15, and some uphill slope on #3 and #14. Enough to keep things interesting.
- Decent mix of hole lengths; the course follows the usual tight/short and open/long format. A lot of the tighter holes are on the short side, like #1 at 220', #6 at 253', #16 at 251', and #17 at 200'. Still, some longer wooded shots that are pretty tricky, like #3, #14, and #15. Longer holes are here to bust out the drivers, with five over 400', and the big boy at 801'.
- Practice basket here, and baskets are good overall. Nice concrete long tees, natural short pads have informative maps. Navigation is pretty easy, with signs to help get around. The ten hole loop is well marked, and is pretty convenient.
Cons: - I guess the biggest con here, is that some of the tightly wooded holes are kind of short, and aren't too exciting. It's definitely a challenge to hit the gaps, for sure, but they are pretty straightforward and kind of repetitive at times. A few holes in the open aren't too exciting either, like the pretty open #11 and #12. A small gripe, but the fun factor is a little lacking.
Other Thoughts: - Overall the course offers a good variety of holes; there are the short wooded ones, decent length open ones, a few longer wooded ones, decent variety of lines, and some elevation changes on top of that. It is usually just a little bit of this and a little bit of that on each hole, so there aren't any crazy ones, but it is pretty solid start to finish. Definitely well suited for beginners or intermediate players; more advanced people will tear it open.

Just Slingin In The Rain!

1    7/21/2011   8/26/2011
Pros: This is another course I attempted to play under the worse of conditions-Monsoon Rain Storm. My less than overwhelming experience here had to be adversely affected by the conditions.
The course features a variety of holes regarding both length and lefty-righty. Some players comment on the extreme technicalness of this course with all it's trees while others love the 2-3 wide open holes which really give you a chance to air it out, like # 5, 850' across the open field.
There are two natural tees per hole. I don't think they are the best. Concrete, rubber mats or patio blocks would be a huge improvement.
Becker has the DGA white plastic signs. They're always broken. To me, they're an open invitation to the vandals and punks who stalk our courses at night, saying "Break me." Might as well be glass,
Some of the newer pads were longer and have simple wooden signs (much more vandal resistent).
Cons: I had a really difficult time navigating this course by myself. Of course, the locals were smart enough to all be safely under cover somewhere in this rain. But I found myself constantly wondering back and forth in this labyrinth of horse trails, cross country ski trials, disc golf tails, old Indian trails and the Oregon trail. I must confess, it might have been better on a sunny day with some other players to follow.
I didn't like # 7, 431' down a ski trail. It's not a hole that anyone could air it out on. It's just a hole that one could get into big trouble on once you get off the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Apparently, most everyone else is a little more enchanted with this course than I am. Even taking in account the miserable conditions I encountered here, I can't bring myself to give this course a rating which equals Very Good. I hope I have a chance one day to return and play it under brighter skies, perhaps with a knowledgeable local to guide me through the maze the trials.

Play the longs

1    6/15/2011   6/21/2011
Review By: whitechocolate
Pros: -decent park amentities
-variety in holes
-semi-secluded

This is a fun 18 hole between the Twin Cities and St. Cloud. The course is a park which seemed to have enough parking, restrooms, pavilions, and playground space to use. To get to hole one you need to walk past the building and through the volleyball court. It is easy to find with the giant sign that tells you where hole one is.

The course plays in and out of the woods in the back end of the park. It offers a good variety of holes with some elevation changes, shorter technical holes, and longer more open holes. It lets you throw your drivers and air them out in places, and work on your control in other more shaped holes.

If I leave in the general area this course would have a good potential for my workout course. It is not as busy (when I was there) and could work on multiple shots and focus on certain parts of my game. If offers enough of a challenge where a high rated player can get something out of it, but not overly challenging where an amateur could still enjoy it without shooting too high.
Cons: -uneven natural tees
-slightly challenging to navigate
-shorts are basically a deuce or die course

From the longs, the challenges are definitely there. From the short tees, all with the except of maybe 6 are "deuce or die" holes. There is some wooded and technical parts that people who cannot shape a line would struggle with, however, the mosquitos were so bad that I played the shorts from 11 through 18 and I deuce 5 of those holes without putting my bag down. However, please note I am a stronger short wooded player and a solid putter. So these holes are to my advantage. I would like to see the shorts be a little more challenging. It is great for beginners, family, or large groups, however, a solid pro should be shooting in the low 40s from the shorts.

The teepads at the course need some loving. Some were decent, a couple were mediocre, and a couple were terrible. I did come after a recent rain storm so there was some standing water in places including tee so that may have been the problem. But love was needed for the tees indeed.
Other Thoughts: Overall it is a fun course. It seems like a good place to play a round from the shorts, then a round from the longs, which I would have done if I had more time. Shorts are beginner friendly, Longs offer the challenge a seasoned player is looking for. I enjoy other courses in the Twin Cities area a little more, however, I could easily see myself coming back to this place again. The shared trails that the course weaved in and out of I only ran into a group of kids on BMX bikes a couple of times. Pretty much had the course to myself.

If you are out this way and want a quick 18 hit the shorts. If you're looking to be challenged some hit the longs. There is something for everyone. This may not be as fancy as some of the other courses in the twin cities, however, if they got cement teepads installed (especially on the longs), it would hold up well against the other courses in the area. If footing for driving is an issue for you, you will probably not like this course too much. If you don't mind the natural./grass pads it is a good play. With two sets of tees, gives it added value. So I gave it a 3.5. Some concrete or level flypads would give it a 4.

5+    5/19/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: ejsandstrom
Pros: Nice variety of terrain and elevation. The Pro tees can add difficulty not just distance. It requires you to use a variety of shots on most holes. It is well marked for a 10 hole cut off. Baskets are in reasonable shape. The 800 yard hole is a nice feature. A few blind holes make this a well rounded course.
Cons: Tee boxes are horrid. Huge holes and ridges. Concrete Tee pads would go a long way to improving this course. The bugs (including ticks) are thick so make sure you have spray. The woods have thorns and poison Ivy. The open fairways could be mowed more often. The 18th basket is missing but you can dog leg to the practice basket.
Other Thoughts: There are a few garbage cans around but people still seem to leave trash. A bathroom on the 9th would be a nice feature. This is a multiple use park so Horses have been known to make deposits. Watch your step.

A Gem of the sourrounding area

5+    4/16/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
This review was updated on 4/13/2011
Pros: Opening thoughts:
I only wish I had a bridge across the river nearby as I "live" about 3 miles from this course, but it's over a 20 mile drive to get there. As it's one of the nearest courses though, it's well worth the drive, for a road trip from the cities I'd pair it with the St. Agusta course, with maybe even a stopover at the Clearwater course. For myself, it's the first choice in courses within 30 miles (this includes the courses from St. Cloud to Monticello and down as far as Annandale.

Variety of holes. I find a good challenge here, from accuracy shots, a technical variety, a few nice ace runs, and the wide open 800 foot bomb of a hole, number 5. The course is well laid out and will require a large variety of shots.

Fairways. All holes have a distinct fairway that is well maintained, in the woods, obviously trees line the fairway. And on the open holes, the fairways are mowed, surrounded by long prairie grass.

Few People. This course is busier than several of the surrounding courses, but still I never ran into a crowded course like in the cities, or St. Cloud. Only one time did I have to wait for a group of punk kids (about 7 of them playing together) that didn't have the common sense to let a solo player, play through. Otherwise the people I've met there have all been awesome.

Well Kept. Very little litter and well maintained.
Cons: Construction. I'm not quite sure what's going on on holes 11 and 12, but the piles of dirt and rocks are a bit of an eyesore, though if played well shouldn't really be an issue.

TeesDirt or gravel tee boxes could always be improved, but here they're better than I've seen them other places, so I don't let it affect the rating, just worth mentioning.

Navigation The layout isn't terribly confusing, but there is very little signage pointing you to the next hole. I found myself wandering for a few minutes between 3 and 4. When teeing off on hole 4, look directly left of the short tee - there's the tee for # 5, it's not down past the basket. A pointer - if you're trying to play all 18 holes, don't follow the "10 hole cutoff" signs, seems simple enough - but it often appears that the next logical tee placement is where that particular sign points.

Missing Basket. Hole 18 has no basket as of 4/16/10.
Other Thoughts: Closing Thoughts:
Though I can't think of many pros, in fact my list of cons out number the list of pros, I give this course a 3.5 disc rating. I really enjoyed the layout, the variety of holes and the overall challenge of this course. A few upgrades would be nice - nice tees/a basket on hole 18, these would bring my rating up to a 4 or 4.5 even. Definitely worth a play if you're in the area.

Favorite hole:
I'll go with #4, A challenging sharp dogleg left. A downhill approach shot, if place perfectly will set you up for an accuracy shot through a tunnel of trees at the pin. I enjoy this type of challenge. I do quite enjoy the monster number 7 though, a long downhill with the wind bomb is always fun to throw.

can a course be too wooded?

1    3/28/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: deadbody
Pros: Very good mix of woods and open, good mix of short and long holes, good mix of right and left turns and straight, good use of elevation.

Many holes that are birdieable with a good drive, but missing the fairway will cost you strokes, control needed.
Cons: No cement teepads, I slipped a couple times on drives. Almost too many trees, there are a couple holes where the is no real line, you just have to throw to the first opening and hope. Can get very overgrown during the summer, making finding a disc on the open holes a pain.
Other Thoughts: Horse rides take place on some of the paths, you ned to watch for them as a disc will spook them at times. Overall a fun course, and if cement tees were added I would very likely go back and play in the spring and fall.

Great Course!

1    8/28/2009   9/4/2009
Review By: mndiscg
This review was updated on 9/2/2013
Pros: -Great mix of wooded and open holes.
-Wooded holes have the right amount of trees to make it a challenge without it being obnoxious.
-Tees are all marked with signs. Long and short for almost every hole.
-Good navigation signs, overall easy to follow.
-Signs that help you play just a 9 hole round if you're in a hurry.
-A decent amount of elevation.
-Lots of variation in distance. Ranges from around 200 to 800 feet.
-All fairways are mowed and the underbrush isn't too thick so losing a disc isn't too easy.
-Not too many people on the course, a course this good should be played more often.
-Adequate parking with a porta-potty right at the start.
-Some fun pin locations tucked into the woods or in a depression make for tough and interesting shots.
-Pretty easy to find just a few miles off us-10.
-Not alot of bugs for a MN course.
Cons: -Tees are just marked with a sign and a little gravel. Cement tees would be a huge and welcome upgrade.
-Some of the signs are confusing or you can see more than one basket on a few holes but once you play through once it shouldn't be a problem.
Other Thoughts: To get to hole one park in the lot and walk between the shelter and playground. Keep your eyes on the woods ahead of you and you will see a sign for hole one.

This course was overall an enjoyable play and i'll go back if im in the area.

It's OK

1    8/17/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: Husky22
Pros: This course definitely requires you to be able to make a good drive on every hole if you want a chance at birdie or par.

It has some nice holes, like the 800 foot hole, but a lot of the holes become repetitive.

Some good risk/reward situations that can really change a round.

Multiple Tees
Cons: The course is fairly repetitive, half of the holes are straightaway par 3's of short/medium distance with trees lining the fairway.

The teepads are just gravel and some don't really serve much of a purpose.

Its very easy to turn a good round into a bad round with one or two bad drives. If you miss some of the fairways you're going to struggle to get a 4.

The bugs are awful so bring a ton of bugspray.

Its also fairly easy to lose a disc on this course. Plan on looking for your disc a few times throughout a round.
Other Thoughts: This is a fairly good course but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to play it. If you don't enjoy playing through the woods then this isn't the course for you. The best hole on the course (#5) is 810 feet from the long tees and its a really good hole. Makes the course a 2.5 instead of a 1.5 or 2!