• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Birdie Bash Disc Selection

DiscinMiller

Par Member
So, I am curious what those that are playing in this years birdie bashes are ordering as their player packs.

My course is moderately short and wooded. I have never used a vibram disc. This year you get a drive and either a mid or a putter.

I was thinking lace and Ibex, but i wasnt sure how putting would go with an ibex etc. I would say my most commonly used discs at my current course (subtracting putters) are my buzzz/roc3 depending on my mood and volt.

thoughts? are most of you planning on getting a putter? i dont drive with my puytters super often, and thats my concern is only having a distance disc and a putter. . .

And I did read through the tournament thread, but it was more about complaining that you cant get a mid and putter this year. I get this, but plan on playing so I need to make a choice on what is available and want some input

I think putting is going to be very key to the tournament, so I would recommend getting a putter. Both the VP and Ridge are good driving putters. Personally, I use the VP.

You may want to consider an unlace/VP combo. The VP will give you a putter as well as an overstable approach disc. With the unlace, you can shape lines a little better. For the few long holes, you can put it on a hyzer flip.

If you get a mid, I would recommend the Obex.

I drive quite well with putters, so I am going with a Sole and an unLace. The Sole is neutral and has the most glide out of all their putters. The unLace powers down really well and is surprisingly controllable in the 260-300 ft range. I just have to pray for a calm day.

If driving with a putter wasn't an option, I think I would go with the Obex. I putt pretty well with Rocs and the Obex has a similar flight / feel.

If it were me I would get an overstable distance driver and a neutral putter. Forehands, OH, and backhand distance throws would go to the driver and everything else could be manipulated with a neutral putter.

I won our Birdie Bash last year with a firm Ibex and firm Sole (21 points or something). It was a perfect combo for me. But if I cannot have a midrange and a putter I will likely choose a Firm Trak and firm Sole.

i drive moderately frequently with my beat in ion, but only on the few holes under 200 ft. thats my concern is that by going unlace and putter i would need to use it a lot to drive with

The trak isnt an option

They are using this years to market the (not that) new driver line, so one choice has to be a distance driver (lace, unlace, o-lace, solace) and the other choice is any putter or ibex/obex

I just got the following email from Steven Dodge at Vibram:

"We have expanded the driver selection to include the mids, which are much easier to control and fly almost as far as the fairways, has been done. ..."

This will allow you to have a mid & putter combo for your Birdie Bash. Perfect for short courses.

Very nice to see that Vibram is listening to the concerns of the players and making appropriate changes.

Last edited:
Very nice to see that Vibram is listening to the concerns of the players and making appropriate changes.

No kidding - I think they should let people take whichever discs they want to tell the truth. VP - Summit would be an interesting combo.

Forcing folks to take a wide-rimmed driver isn't a good way to grow the sport.

stoked they listened. I wrote a couple days ago too. and literally this changed since i went to register this morning. glad I decided to get input from others before making a choice.

I just got the following email from Steven Dodge at Vibram:

"We have expanded the driver selection to include the mids, which are much easier to control and fly almost as far as the fairways, has been done. ..."

This will allow you to have a mid & putter combo for your Birdie Bash. Perfect for short courses.

Yay!
firm ibex
firm sole

I'd be comfortable playing a long or short course config with that.

Obex & Ridge for me (Ridge it the only Vibram putter I don't normally carry, so I thought I'd give it a shot). I'm really glad so many people wrote to Vibram and that they listened.

Cool to hear they changed their mind. It would depend on the course for me but it would be
Ibex/Ridge for a shorter course
OR
O Lace/Sole

Last year I went Trak/Sole and was very happy with my choice.

BTW i also got this reply this afternoon

We have expanded the driver selection to include the mids, which are much easier to control and fly almost as far as the fairways, has been done. This should be a better fit for your events. Thanks for bringing up your concern.
Sincerely,

Steven Dodge

I just registed. went with IBEX and VP The putter choice was tough for me. i initially considered the summit because i dont care any truly understable putter/approach discs and it could fill a gap if i liked it, but i was concerned it would hurt me in the round putting with it, so i went with vp

Latest posts