• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Black Hoof Park - Lenexa, KS

jace

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Anybody know the official opening date for this new course? It's supposed to be a pdga summer tour spot but I don't see any new news about the openening date yet. Just curious?

Black Hoof is supposed to be one of the courses used for Worlds this Summer. I am suspecting that it will be certainly open by then, but word on this has been very quiet.

I've been trying the inside at the city for weeks with no response. What's all the secrecy about you think?

I don't think its so much secrecy as it is that anything associated with the government is going to be an exercise in foot dragging. Even the people you contact there may not know anything. Granted, parks and rec departments across the country are suffering from the effects of strain on local government budgets, but you wouldn't think in Johnson County that would be much of a problem.

Lees Summit is putting in a course as well on the MO side and I think it was originally going to be part of the Worlds too. Its not on the current list though.

I do believe that the park is supposed to be built around a small reservoir and that there was supposed to be some construction related to that delaying the installation of the course, although the Lenexa city website states that the park is open.

http://www.ci.lenexa.ks.us/parks/91monticello.html

Your guess is good as mine. :confused:

Ok, I just called the Lenexa Parks & Rec dept and when asking about this the phone was given to the director. Weird. It sounds like due to the economy this has been put on hold. Waiting for it to go through the City Counsel again to see about approval and hoping to have some information later this year. If approved he was hoping for it to happen by the end of next year. A bit later than we were hoping but he did say to follow up in a couple of months to see how things were going.

Lenexa is a joke right now! I've talked and emailed several times and get no answer. The first time I called and talked to the P&R director in March - he said the funding was still in place and that they were waiting on some final approvals. It's drag the feet syndrome at this point and the once approved monies are now being diverted to other more important city infrastructure.....so i'm told from a planner I know.

It may be awhile since they missed the opportunity for Worlds this year! No real push at this point. They were counting on the publicity for their "parks". Now the opportunity is gone!

Well not sure if either of you are still on here but this course is finally supposed to open next Spring.

Is that a tee pad at 38.965396° -94.839852°?

like amazing in general for amazing for kansas
Amazing in general. If you play from all longs to the long baskets, it's seemingly around 10k feet and virtually all wooded. Lots of par 4s, several par 5s, and tight fairways that are difficult but fair (i.e. there are legitimate gaps - doesn't mean they'll be all easy to hit). Multiple shot options from each teepad (there are 2-3 teepads for each hole, and multiple pins on most holes as well) opening up forehand shots or backhand turnovers (RHBH), very fair for lefty and righty players. The fairways are beautiful. I'm so excited.

Amazing in general. If you play from all longs to the long baskets, it's seemingly around 10k feet and virtually all wooded. Lots of par 4s, several par 5s, and tight fairways that are difficult but fair (i.e. there are legitimate gaps - doesn't mean they'll be all easy to hit). Multiple shot options from each teepad (there are 2-3 teepads for each hole, and multiple pins on most holes as well) opening up forehand shots or backhand turnovers (RHBH), very fair for lefty and righty players. The fairways are beautiful. I'm so excited.

i cant wait to see pics and reviews

i got a tentative trip planned for kc area in the near future

Is that a tee pad at 38.965396° -94.839852°?

No, the course doesn't go over there. It looks like the only water hazard is a small pond you throw over on 18. The primary lake never comes into play.

Latest posts