• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BTL Gets da faq outta the midwest

BuiltTooLong

Double Eagle Member
I'll be in Zephyrhills, Florida (smack in between Orlando and Tampa) on 4/15-4/22 flying in/out of Orlando.

I'll also be in Las Vegas from 5/14-5/18.

Any suggestions for disc golf, food, music, booze, or WHATEVER :eek::D:gross:, are greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone will be in any of those areas and want to meet up, lemme know!

I'll be in Zephyrhills, Florida (smack in between Orlando and Tampa) on 4/15-4/22 flying in/out of Orlando.

Looks like Holloway Park and Hidden Oaks are about 40 minutes away from Zephyrhills.

I have always wanted to play Showmen's DGC and Picnic Island in Tampa, and several courses in St. Pete look fun (Cliff Stephens, North East Coachman, and Taylor Park).

Airport Lakes Park (9) is quite close to the Orlando Airport, and Bill Frederick (3 courses) is not too far away.

There is also a nice-looking cluster of courses north of Orlando, including The Green Gauntlet (FL #1), River City Nature Park, Nature Park (9), etc.

Caveat: I have NEVER played any of these courses, but I planned a trip to the area that never happened.

Any suggestions for disc golf, food, music, booze, or WHATEVER :eek::D:gross:, are greatly appreciated.

Sorry, can't help you with whatever. :D

Have a great trip!

The Green Gauntlet (Lake County) is the highest-rated course (DGCR) in Florida now and my personal favorite FL course (I've played around 150 FL courses).

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=10714

Lake County Florida is a disc golf destination now with a top ten world-wide 9 hole course and a couple of top ten Florida courses:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8347

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9757

Lakeland has two decent courses if you don't want to travel too far.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9678

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=11566

Orlando has some nice courses. most people like the THREE courses at Turkey Lake and the two at Debary the best. Tampa also has plenty of good golf. Picnic Island plays next to Tampa Bay. Cliff Stephens is really nice and pairs well with Coachman. Showmens is a one-of-a-kind disc golf experience. Highest Recommendation. This is just scratching the surface. Florida is finally coming into its own as far as having nice fun awesome and unique courses!

*Disclaimer: I haven't played any of these courses since the hurricane last year so checking the current conditions could be prudent!

A lot of Florida is a food wasteland. Orlando does have a White Castle now though...

I've recently played several FL courses:

North FL
Jonesville Park is very good, nice wooded/open mix.
Alligator Lake is one of the best niners I've ever played, and does the dual tee/dual pin thing very well.

Been a long time since playing Maggie and Ocala Greenway, but they were both very good.

New World Green is a must hit if you're spending time near Jacksonville. Unique landscape for DG.

Central FL:
Green Gauntlet is my favorite course in the state.
Really enjoyed the trio at Turkey Lake. T2's worth a spin all by itself.
Lake Hiawatha Preserve is a fun course with pretty goid variety.
Been years since I played River City Alpha, but really liked it.

Tampa Area:
Really enjoyed Picnic Island (really scenic views) and Cliff Stevens. Thought Oldsmar was a bit overrated, but still pretty good.

Last edited:

I'll also be in Las Vegas from 5/14-5/18.

Also, if anyone will be in any of those areas and want to meet up, lemme know!

I'll be in Vegas about a week before you for a wedding. Flying back on 5/10. I'll be sure to get in at least one round of dg while I'm out there. No idea where yet.

A lot of Florida is a food wasteland. Orlando does have a White Castle now though...

****, it must be a wasteland if White Castle is an improvement worth noting.

I second a lot of the recommendations above. Picnic Island and Cliff Stephens are excellent, and there are some classic courses that are good too like Coachman, Oldsmar, and Taylor.

Holloway in Lakeland is excellent.

If you're going to Orlando, rumor has it that the Woods course at Bill Fredderick has officially closed.

****, it must be a wasteland if White Castle is an improvement worth noting.

Biggest White Castle in the world. Lot's of hungry Cravers down there who had to eat frozen ones until now.

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I'll do some more research and come up with a game plan. I have played Picnic Island and Gran Canyon previously.

Green Gauntlet looks great (as do some others), only issue as courses get further away, is finding something for my wife, kid, and parents to do.

Loyce Harpe (AKA Hidden Oaks) is great! I only played Holloway when it was new and it kicked my butt. I think it is in better shape now, though and has short pads, so it is probably pretty good. I live in Pinellas County, and my favorite local courses are Cliff Stephens and Oldsmar (Oldsmar has a great club, and the course conditions have improved a lot in the past year). Picnic Island in Tampa is also great! There is a beach there too, so that might give the wife & kids something to do while you play.

Loyce Harpe (AKA Hidden Oaks) is great! I only played Holloway when it was new and it kicked my butt. I think it is in better shape now, though and has short pads, so it is probably pretty good. I live in Pinellas County, and my favorite local courses are Cliff Stephens and Oldsmar (Oldsmar has a great club, and the course conditions have improved a lot in the past year). Picnic Island in Tampa is also great! There is a beach there too, so that might give the wife & kids something to do while you play.

I hit Picnic Island on a previous trip, lovely course.

Sounds like we are going to Howard Park beach on one of the days, so I will probably zip over to Oldsmar or go a bit further and finally tackle Cliff Stephens. Are you able to get out at all next week?

I hit Picnic Island on a previous trip, lovely course.

Sounds like we are going to Howard Park beach on one of the days, so I will probably zip over to Oldsmar or go a bit further and finally tackle Cliff Stephens. Are you able to get out at all next week?

I've got a business trip next Monday-Thursday. I could play Sunday, Friday or Saturday though, if that works for you.

I'll find some dates today. 50/50 chance I have off that weekend in May. Standing Rocks is only 45 minutes from me to so I'll see what I can do.

I got off the weekend of 5/6 and I'm down for some Standing Rocks. I'll PM ya :thmbup:

Yulga is pretty close and solid and if you had time Big Eau Pleine is fantastic too.

Last edited: