• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building a bag for my 70 year old Dad

Hello everyone,

Introduced my Dad to disc golf last year and we've gone out a few times now. He has even started practicing on his own. He is a 70 year old man with a shoulder issue and is a retired firefighter. I got him the Innova starter set and some other discs I had to get him started. I wanted to try to expand his bag for him because he obviously likes it but doesn't want "new and different" discs. Some things to know:

• He has shoulder issues so is a RHBH player only
  • He likes putting with his starter set Aviar
  • He likes the starter set Shark and the F2 Leopard3
  • He was a Firefighter so any fire themed discs or stamps are always welcome (I bought him a heat for this purpose)
He also have a (more stable than usual) Crave, and a Mako3 that I don't think he uses a ton. Basically just looking to expand his bag and give him some more discs to play with. Any suggestions would be amazing thank you so much

150's Mamba, and if you want something fire themed DX Firebird would be cool. Maybe a DGA Sail but I haven't thrown one so can't vouch for it personally

I turned 60 last year, and I keep a lightweight Star Mamba 147g in the bag, and a Fission Wave 159g both easier to throw.
Based on my own experience as an older player, I would include Innova G-star, and Halo. MVP/Axiom Fission. Today I just used a Westside Vip Air Northman 155g for the first time on the course easy to throw, and a beautiful glide. The Vip Air's are light, none of them heavier than 159g, I plan on bringing a few more into my inventory.
I can still throw several other plastics, and my overstable's are still all in the 170-180g range, my Halo Roc is 180g. My stable's are in the 160's. But I realize as I get older that will change, so I'm now sort of kind of getting a jump on it, a little at a time.

Last edited:
I would also advise finding some lighter weight/ less stable stuff. I think you can find lightweight Underworlds from Westside. I have seen a bunch of Prodigy drivers in light weights. Mamba is a terrific choice, too. Mids and putter....I don't really find any value in lighter weights, but some may.

I would say try for a more durable shark in G-Star and get him a Dragon. Other discs like an Archer might work for a slow pan right hand shot and look into DGA, they have discs in water theme like Squall and Undertow as neutral/slightly understable discs.

I was going to say a Neutron Hex but he already has a Maco3. Any MVP in Fission plastic can be light. I play in 60+ and follow a friend in 70+. I see MVP Fission Photons in the 150g used as primary drivers at tournaments. Some carry a heavier version (166g) for windy days.

Sounds like a perfectly fine starter set. Leopard is not to be underrated as a beginner driver, especially in lighter weights. I usually give new players a 150 Leo.

Playing catch with your Dad using his Aviar should be particularly beneficial. Good luck!

I'm 72. I started playing when I was 70. I have tried over 250 different discs and following is what works best for me.
Drivers:
Understable (curves right):
DX Mamba around 150g
DX Beast around 150g
DX Sidewinder around 150g

Straightish:
DX TeeBird around 150g
Opto Air Diamond 157g

Overstable (curves left):
DX TeeBird 3 around 150g
DX Wraith around 150g
Opto Air Jade 152g

For a hard left utility disc:
Hades 158g (don't know plastic)

Mid Ranges:
Understable:
Opto Pearl 155g
Leviathan 166g

Straightish:
XT Mako3 165g
DX Wombat3 159g
Opto Air Fuse 156g

Overstable:
DX Roc3 165g

Putting Putter:
Zero Medium Pure 173g

Throwing Putters:
Opto Pure 176g (slightly overstable)
Active Maestro (overstable)
Retro Ruby 160g (straight to understable)
DX Mirage 146g (very understable)

Hello everyone,

Introduced my Dad to disc golf last year and we've gone out a few times now. He has even started practicing on his own. He is a 70 year old man with a shoulder issue and is a retired firefighter. I got him the Innova starter set and some other discs I had to get him started. I wanted to try to expand his bag for him because he obviously likes it but doesn't want "new and different" discs. Some things to know:

• He has shoulder issues so is a RHBH player only
  • He was a Firefighter so any fire themed discs or stamps are always welcome (I bought him a heat for this purpose)
He also have a (more stable than usual) Crave, and a Mako3 that I don't think he uses a ton. Basically just looking to expand his bag and give him some more discs to play with. Any suggestions would be amazing thank you so much
Light weight Tern and Katana are my best discs for easy distance, and F2s are reasonable priced. Playing since April, and normal max at about 250', and 145-150g works best for me. GL.

Mamba. Instant distance
Rollo, Too much power, and it becomes its name. Just enough, and it's a great approach disc, and a woods weapon. A less is more disc with applying power and control.
Alien, give it an angle, and it goes that way. placement disc.

You might consider getting him a custom dyed firefighting themed disc. The variety out there right now is pretty stunning. Maybe a Father's Day gift?