• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Caddy Book as Substitute for Tee Signs?

As with most questions, the best answer is "all of the above". You can never have enough ways to get information to the players. Just make sure all sources agree.

How are the tees marked?Why can't the hole #, distance and maybe Par be marked on whatever material is being used to mark each tee? Or, print the QR code to the course map on the first few tee markers or on a label on the first basket. Presumably, you'll need good Next Tee signs on the baskets to indicate direction next tees. I laser print info on sheets of weatherproof polyester adhesive label stock and cut multiple labels to size. (SheetLabels.com)

Material, 1" OD PVC stakes. Hole number is on one stake. I could put distance on stake. I will likely do a QR code to a hosted .pdf version of the caddy book, but that gets back to the original question of using a book instead of tee signs. Next tee signs on baskets will be there, but, again, I'm more concerned bout the books as a replacement for tee signs.

One think I had thought about doing was a small tee-sign-like addition to the top of the stakes, but I don't know how much weight they will hold or whether, since the stakes mark the edge of the tee, if they would get in the way.

I've printed some books and will get some feedback from the course owner on how it goes and try to update this thread as to the experience.

Not quite the same, but we have a private course with navigation issues -- the tee signs have minimal info, but there are two overlapping layouts that can be confusing. Plus a very long list of ground rules (O.B., etc., plus a few navigation tips)

For a long time, we did paper maps -- one for each layout, with a map on one side of the sheet, and all the ground rules for that layout on the other. It worked. Ours aren't laminated, and when people return them they tend to be pretty ragged. So we have to make sure they get replenished regularly. Fortunately, it's a low-volume course.

When we put the layouts on UDisc, we started giving people the choice. 95% seem to choose UDisc. But the paper maps are still there. It doesn't have the ground rules, but casual players can figure them out, make them up for themselves, or ignore them. (We do have signs in a few places, though).

We also improved navigation, with differently-colored baskets for the different layouts, and coloring one spoke on them to point to the next tee. It made a big difference.

That, and Chuck's suggestion to put hole distance on the tee markers if possible, might get you a long way.

A caddy book is notice. But it's something that someone will have to keep up with and keep stocked, plus depending on the size, it may be more than a lot of players want to fumble through while playing.

Yes, I am also among those who who choose UDisc. I don't really like paper maps

I've played a course with no tee signs. They had UDisc, but I don't love taking out my phone while playing. They also had a single page notebook paper-sized sheet that had the scorecard on one side and a big map laying out the holes on the back. It's actually a lot more useful than single-page hole layouts in a caddy book. It allows you to orient yourself better from the hole you just played, and then looking at the next hole to be played. Unless you have complex OB, it shouldn't be difficult to just outline those in red or something as an aerial view of the entire course.

You could also just have the overhead map on the backside of the sheet. The front side of the sheet with the scorecard and a list of 1-18. Each number just outlines the OB rule for the hole.

I.E.

Hole 1, 237 feet, path and everything left of the path is OB.

Honestly, the course I played didn't feel any "less" by having no tee signs and just having the paper available. I could fold it up and stuff it in my pocket without even noticing it. I'd prefer that a lot more than a "book" to deal with.
And where can I find your improved navigation?

It seems like a creative solution to the challenge of not having permanent tee signs on the disc golf course. Designing graphics for tee signs and providing navigational information in booklets is a thoughtful way to ensure players still have access to crucial information. Making these booklets downloadable from myassignmenthelp.com is a smart move, as it allows players to access the materials conveniently. I'd love to hear from others who have encountered similar situations and learn about any innovative ideas they may have for improving the player experience without traditional tee signs.

Latest posts