• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ching Excelerator Dimpled Discs

Blake_T1

* Ace Member *
Ching was nice enough to send me a couple of Ching Fusion Mojo protos which are a dimpled putt & approach golf disc with 9 recessions in the top of the flight plate. while the design is pending pdga approval, there is a driver in the works as well. the aerodynamics of the recessions are designed to reduce high speed drag force on the disc early in the flight. i'm doing some field work tomorrow, will write some follow up comments when i get a feel for them.

Hrmmm sounds interesting. I know golf balls have dimples in them for the same reason.
If they didnt you wouldnt be able to hit them very far at all.

Sounds a little gimmicky, but I'm interested to see how it will actually work.

ever read the info for patent #4,568,297.

[url=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4568297.WKU.&OS=PN/4568297&RS=PN/4568297 said:
clicky clicky[/url]"]Previous attempts to refine and improve the flying disc have been concentrated in two main areas; ballistics and gimmicks. Although various claims have been made, little actual improvement in the aerodynamic properties of the flying disc has been achieved over the basic design.

The gimmick area is lead by the addition of flight rings but also includes such things as double flight plates, finger holds, holes and grooves to channel air flow, and various multiple piece designs. A considerable number of patents have issued in this area, but these variations do little if anything to improve disc performance.

If it works, thats awesome, just makes me think of all the other things out there like the rings on a lightning disc or the thumbtrack.

initial prognosis:

this is one of the purest flying discs i've ever thrown. very slow flying with a lot of hover. very accurate. requires a lot of finesse, but if you have a good clean release it will hold any line you give it. i'm not sure what affect the dimples had on it, but it had a very nice feel and the dimples allowed you to "dial in" a thumb placement for varying degrees of nose angle. they also gave good snap without having to worry much about thumb pressure. it also will hold any angle you put on it (assuming you don't over power it).

as a putter, perfect amount of stiffness/grip. flexed enough when it hit the pole to drop dead without riccocheting/bouncing out. little more low speed fade than i like on longer putts but was very accurate from 25' and in. had a lot of carry though and was able to putt from about 15' longer than my wizards.

distancewise it wasn't particularly long, i throw wizards in the 240-270' range and the mojos were pulling in more around 180-210'.

got 2 driver prototypes in the mail today. one is very overstable, the other flippy. next one in development is in between. will post the results after i have tested them.

the driver design isn't finalized yet. i stay in touch w/ holgate at ching... i've been pushing for him to pump out a roc-type disc first, but i think he's gonna be going for a stable driver. i just fear that he might end up in the same boat as gateway, with 5 drivers on the market and no stable mid.

i'm guessing it will be beast-like based on the profiles of the protos he sent me.