• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destination: Highbridge Hills, NORTHwoods, WI

superberry

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I feel I have to post this with all the talk surrounding the Highbridge Hills Dsic Golf megaplex. While yes, it is WAY up in the Northwoods in the middle of nowehere, it IS the best single disc golf venue you will ever play!!!!!!!

You can feel confident planning your extended weekend, or long voyage to go up there to play. It is worth every minute you sit in the broke down old car you take to get there. Maybe, by the time you plan your trip the Whitetail Run course will be installed, and The Bear will finally be completed. Here is a rundown of the courses at teh complex and how they offer such amazing compliment to each other.

Blueberry Hill - THE disc golf course of this complex. Moderate Length, great balance of open rippers and tight woods, huge elevation. The best, most balanced, varied, and technically sound course here.

Gold - Huge length, more open than wooded but still some tight woods, huge elevation. The one that will test your endurance, strength, and accuracy. This is Championship caliber and well balanced.

Granite Ridge - Length between Blueberry and Gold, much more open than wooded, huge elevation. Offers excellent use of the same type of property Blueberry is on, but lets you air it out, using elevation to it's fullest and not as many woods.

Woodland Greens - Short, almost completely wooded and technical, moderate to little elevation. Great break from the length and pounding summer sun. Nice and technical requiring extreme accuracy.

The Bear - (Only 7 holes now, PRAY for 18!), Huge length, entirely wooded and technical, moderate to large elevation. Will be the most awesome comliment to everything at Highbridge. Almost as long as gold, as wooded as Woodland Greens, and with water hazards, elevated tees and terraced greens, this one when finished will be an absolute work of art!

Chestnut Grove - an all night long, lighted 18 hole practice course right next to the campground. Great 2am beer induced disc round.

AND, my point for making this post is to bring to everyone's attention yet another reason to head up to the Northwoods - Sandy Point Disc Golf Resort!! About an hour slightly south and east of Highbridge lies Sandy Point off Highway 70 in Lac du Flambeau. This is an immaculate 24 hole course that has moderate length, almost completely under a gorgeous wooded canopy, and offering excellent use of the moderate elevation. All on a private resort founded by a couple disc golf fanatics. So, if anyone is travelling from the east or south of NOWHERE, WI, make sure to take I-39/US-51 north up into Minocqua and then Highway 70 across to your Highbridge desitnation off WI-13. You will be able to hit up Sandy Point on your way to or from and you will love that experience as well. I'd suggest leaving it for your return trip as your arm may be jell-o after playing all Highbridge courses 2-4 times over the weekend.

I am definitely planning on a trip like this this coming summer. Both courses look like an absolute blast to play. I cant wait!

nice im goin up the last weekend in oct with friends and we r goin to stay at sandy point one of my fav courses. We r going for a long weekend. going to stop in madsion and maybe stevens point on the way up. We mite take a ride to high bridge on friday or sat will see. have fun i know u will

When i was up there last, i made the mistake of thinking I could somehow play sandy point and go to highbridge in the same day. took me at least an hour to get to highbridge from sandy point. sandy point really deserves a whole day, take your time, play a few rounds, stop by the pro shop, and really give yourself a chance to soak in how cherry this place really is. thenn i drove about an hour or so to highbridge, and i was able to take in blueberry hill which was a superb course. also played woodland bear, which is a combination of some holes from woodland greens and the bear. there were no scorecards available for these two courses individually, and all the little arrows after each hole pointed me along the route mapped out on the woodland bear scorecard. I did notice several seemingly unmarked holes, but were i to start wandering and attempting to play all these holes i would surely have gotten lost, and this isnt a place where you want to start wandering too far off the path. basically what i'm saying is that i got all lathered up to play woodland greens for the short technical candy i love, and wasnt able to really play the whole course. highbridge is a place I will return to many times, but my enjoyment of it was hampered by the fact that i thought i could somehow also play somewhere else in the same day.

If you want to play another very good course, swing over to Telemark ski resort, about 40 minutes from Highbridge. Worth the trip.

Anyone want to share stories of how their stay at highbridge was. It sounds like disc golf heaven. Who are the guys who made it. Tell me more about the highbridge experience. It sounds like an awsome vacation for next summer. I saw eventually there will be 10 18 holers WHOA! And they have a lighted 18 by the camp grounds. Oh Baby!

Went up there for Mid Nationals in 05' and Worlds in 07'. Courses changed a bit in between my two stays and Granite was my favorite but not as cool in 07' The Gold course was nicer though and anything in the high 50's to low 60's from the Gold tees is a 1000+ round.

Blueberry has a lot of cool pin positions and like stated before a variety of shots with the best chance of shooting under 54.

Been to Highbridge twice, going again next year...just a fantastic place. Great scenery, seclusion, and some of the best DG you will ever experience.

I second everything superberry said up top, and yet another reason (as of 2009) to head up to the Northwoods is Mont du Lac less than an hour-and-a-half from Highbridge.

Also, the next time we go up I'm planning on bringing some portable baskets, taking the car ferry out to Madeline Island on Lake Superior, and setting up a temp course at the campground out there...maybe even a hole or two on the rocky shores where the waves crash around the island for a really risky pin placement!

There's so much to do up there that you can make a worthwhile vacation and even bring your non-disc-golfing friends/family, and they'll have a blast! I've ranted about Highbridge on numerous threads out here, so to avoid sounding redundant to other regulars on the forums, anyone can PM me with questions about Highbridge and the surrounding area. You can also check my Facebook photos, where I have album upon album of the Highbridge courses, the Honka House, Madeline Island, St. Peter's Dome and Morgan Falls.

Latest posts