• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf road trips

Tomphoolery

Par Member
I love being on the road. I've spent years traveling for live music as much as possible. Since COVID, I haven't left the state, but I look forward to a day where we can travel again soon. Disc golf has evolved from a casual 2-3 round/year activity for me to a passion where I'm playing as much as possible. This summer, if things go back to (somewhat) normalcy, I want to take a disc golf road trip.

I'm originally from east TN. I'm kicking myself now for not being more into disc when I lived in the south, because there's an abundance of good courses in the region. I'm tentatively thinking of doing a loop to see some of the prominent courses down south.

Here's what I'm tentatively looking at:

Leave Knoxville, TN for Johnson City, TN, where I will play:
-Harmon Hills
-Kiwanis

from JC I will head to WNC, where on my way to Asheville I will play:
-Black Jack
-Sugaree

I'll spend a few days in AVL staying with a buddy and drinking good beer. In Asheville I plan to play:
-Richmond Hill
-Sandhill Nature Trail
-Black Mountain
-Lake Julian

I'm gonna take a day off from throwing and take a hike, then head towards Charlotte/Rock Hill, where I plan to play:
-Hornets Nest
-Winthrop
-Camp Canaan

From there, I'm gonna loop back through SC and Georgia. courses on my radar for this segment:
-Pipeline -Spartanburg, SC
-Grand Central Station -Central, SC
-North GA Canopy Tours -Lula, GA *this is an off-the-beaten-path course where the signature hole is inside a commercial chicken coop!

Then, I'm going to Chattanooga, TN to play courses there and around Dalton, GA. I'm going to stay with friends in Chatt, spend a few days there, and take at least one day off throwing. Courses in the area:
-Westside - Dalton, GA
-the Sinks - Chatt
-Dallas Island - Hickson, TN

then back to Knoxville. That's about 12-13 days depending on how I split it up. That route has me playing two courses a day with two days off as it stands. It's a gauntlet, but it sounds like so much fun. Throwing plastic exploring beautiful parts of the south.

What are some disc golf trips you have taken? Any must-hits along my route that I have not mentioned?

Just a note that Winthrop isn't the Winthrop of USDGC Fame. Without the rope and other temp features, it's a pretty open course. They also have a different layout, the Lakefront course, but don't get your hopes up. It's nice, but not great. I'd play one of the other Charlotte courses, in its place (Renny or Nevin, or maybe one I haven't played).

Just a note that Winthrop isn't the Winthrop of USDGC Fame. Without the rope and other temp features, it's a pretty open course. They also have a different layout, the Lakefront course, but don't get your hopes up. It's nice, but not great. I'd play one of the other Charlotte courses, in its place (Renny or Nevin, or maybe one I haven't played).

what kinda course is it if you avoid going there cuz some ob ropes arent up

what kinda course is it if you avoid going there cuz some ob ropes arent up

The course gains its fame from the physical & mental challenges, created by the roped OB, as well as haybale islands and other features. Like those, hate those, but regardless, without them, it's not the same course.

Time the Richmond Hill round for the second week in July if you can. I think it's holes 4 and 5 that have raspberries I eat during the round. I used to spend a bunch of time up that way for work, I would make sure I was there during the back half of July just to snack on the berries as I was playing.

Also, make sure you have good shoes, you will understand when you get to the middle holes on that course if your disc fails to stop and stick.

Lastly,

When you get done with your round go back to 18's tee pad and throw down on hole 1's basket. Trust me, it's worth time and effort to work out the line. It's a shot with elevation down hill and if basket is in the long position it's even better. I would guess about 600 feet and would make a great par 3. It can be birdied.

Sorry, I didn't know there was a whole subforum dedicated to road trips. Doh! My noob is showing. I'll happily move it there.

During your Asheville leg of the trip, would strongly recommend making the drive down to Hendersonville to play Jackson. A notch above Sandhills for sure and some may say gives Richmond Hill a run for its money. Can't speak firsthand to Black Mountain or Lake Julian but don't rule out Jackson due to its slightly further distance from A-Ville.

During your Asheville leg of the trip, would strongly recommend making the drive down to Hendersonville to play Jackson. A notch above Sandhills for sure and some may say gives Richmond Hill a run for its money. Can't speak firsthand to Black Mountain or Lake Julian but don't rule out Jackson due to its slightly further distance from A-Ville.

I'm totally down to drive to Hendersonville! That's an excuse to visit the Sierra Nevada brewery too. I used to hang out in AVL a lot and know the area well, just not its disc golf offerings. Honestly I'm wide open to anything in WNC or on the way to Charlotte. I'm definitely trying to hit some mountain courses that are off the beaten path.

Winthrop Gold is worse a trip even without the course in it's full glory, especially if you've been watching USDGC for years. But I agree, it's not the same and not quite as rewarding as some other Charlotte/Rock Hill courses. Nevin was one of my favorites, and I liked it better than Hornet's Nest. I also haven't played Renny Gold, but it is a worthy destination.

Ashe County

I was going to say that, though I thought that with limited time, an ambitious schedule, and BlackJack & Sugaree already on it, it might be too much for that segment of the trip. Otherwise....

Ashe County.

It's awesome.

During your Asheville leg of the trip, would strongly recommend making the drive down to Hendersonville to play Jackson.

I absolutely agree. Hit Jackson Park and skip Lake Julian.

When near the Tri-Cities, skip Kiwanis and play the classic Warriors Path in Kingsport instead (if you haven't before).

On your way through Georgia, Little Mulberry is worth a stop.

Sounds like an awesome road trip. ALL of us are jealous. :)

I absolutely agree. Hit Jackson Park and skip Lake Julian.

When near the Tri-Cities, skip Kiwanis and play the classic Warriors Path in Kingsport instead (if you haven't before).

On your way through Georgia, Little Mulberry is worth a stop.

Sounds like an awesome road trip. ALL of us are jealous. :)

Giddy up on all these suggestions. Little Mulberry longs is a metric ton o fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be pretty close to the international disc golf center in Appling, Ga which I would highly recommend visiting. 3 championship caliber courses with a great pro shop and the disc golf ball of fame. Play Jackson and Steady Ed, in that order!