• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Enigma vs DDx? Or something else?

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've started to get enough pop where it seems that I will benefit from something faster than the Stags I have been throwing for my max distance shots. Nothing too brag about, at all, but trying out discs using a rangefinder, I think I'm getting 30 or 40 more feet of usable distance out of distance drivers. Out to 300+ instead of my normal 270.

I have a ton of random plastic that I've been trying out and I feel a little like Goldilocks. Everything seems too flippy or a too stable. I did pull out an S-Line DDx that I'd gotten in a mystery box back in 2020 and that seemed to generating some really good results for me, but maybe just a little too much turn. Throwing with a slight tail wind generated exactly the flight I was looking for with a flat release, a little bit of turn and then a soft fade.

And then I tried throwing it into a headwind. Late release combined with the wind turning it over and into the center of the pond it went. Ah well I probably wanted it in C-line anyway.

The DDx is, of course, OOP. But Discmania says that the Enigma is the disc to try if I wanted a DDx. So, do people think they compare?

If you wanted a C-Line DDx flight what would you go for?

S-line DDx was probably my go-to disc during the early days, it had pretty mellow fade compared to it's speed. It was my favorite disc for something like 380feet.

It sucked when I lost it: my replacement was a flattop one and it had way more turn.

I had a 168 super beat-up Champion Wraith, it was probably even better replacement for the DDx. If you can find a less overstable Wraith I think it's a good option. Especially if you are pushing +400f of distance.

Good options for slower discs:

C-line FD - if you can find a less overstable run.
Star Roadrunner - Gregg Barsby run is nice, domey run for backhand.

I've tried Enigma's, don't have a lot of experience. Kinda wonky in a headwind :)

I have two Enigmas. A 167g and a 175g. They can be very long. I wouldn't throw the 167 into a mild headwind, but I have thrown the 175 with success. Honestly the new c-line DD3s are very workable and have more fade than the Enigma. Find a 170g DD3 that has mild dome, and it will go as far as the Enigma, but always finish. I have found Red Green and Yellow to have milder dome than, Purple or Blue.

I've been really enjoying the Enigma these days. No experience with the DDX, but the Enigmas are great workhorse drivers for that 350 to 400 ft max distance arms, in my mind.

I don't like to say color matters, but I've had three blues and two pinks: the pinks were more OS out of the box, and the blues have seemed to fly to their numbers. All 173+. They do like to glide and ride on a good, slight hyzer pull. Great mold.

I've been really enjoying the Enigma these days. No experience with the DDX, but the Enigmas are great workhorse drivers for that 350 to 400 ft max distance arms, in my mind.

I don't like to say color matters, but I've had three blues and two pinks: the pinks were more OS out of the box, and the blues have seemed to fly to their numbers. All 173+. They do like to glide and ride on a good, slight hyzer pull. Great mold.

This makes sense. My lighter one is pink and it holds it's own for stability (with a limit). My max weight is white, and it's about the same stability as the lighter one with light breeze.

Latest posts