• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally hit 400' but form is still trash! What next to work on?

JimmyBlundell

In advance, I may be posting too quickly in succession. It's hard for me to identify much form change from one post to the next now that I look at it.

That being said, I spent yesterday's round working on reaching back on a flatter plane. The day before, I noticed later on I had a bad habit of reacing back low and sort of "pulling" the disc up and was wondering why I couldn't throw flat. So, that's what I tried to fix here.

Still though, I'm finding it oddly hard to not point my rear foot totally backwards during the throw. I did try to focus on that quite a bit during the round and some field work earlier this week. It just makes my hips and core feel incredibly tight and unable to coil when I do. That might just be a matter of.. practicing more.

So if you guys had this form, my current form, what are perhaps the 1 or 2 most important things I could work on cleaning up over the next several weeks or so? Would it be the lack of space between my body/arm in the reach back, the odd action during my pull through, or entirely lower body? Really trying to re-write my form this year.

great job getting to 400!!!!!

1. rotate your upper body more away from target. Have your left shoulder closer to the basket than your right shoulder at peak backswing position

the link below shows a drill that really helped my muscles feel what it felt like to rotate my upper body away from the target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s

2. your left foots toe lifts off the ground coming out of the xstep. i cant recall off the top of my head what might the issue be. possibly weight is too far behind you, plant leg landing too far to the left of the teebox

this thread was really helpful

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137173

Your front foot is leading your stride, it kicks out ahead of your CoG/leg drive, and so then you try to drive your CoG too late and get stuck. So in Hershyzer drill you are kicking the wall way before your butt cheek hits the wall.

The arm is basically just a whip from what the body is doing. Flat and straight do not exist!
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

Your front foot is leading your stride, it kicks out ahead of your CoG/leg drive, and so then you try to drive your CoG too late and get stuck. So in Hershyzer drill you are kicking the wall way before your butt cheek hits the wall.

The arm is basically just a whip from what the body is doing. Flat and straight do not exist!
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

I totally see what you mean by getting stuck on my front leg. I'll be practicing the hershhyzer drill tomorrow without a doubt! Would you say in general my last step needs to be much shorter? Seems like I've fooled myself into thinking a longer step feels like a longer throw.

And yes, I may have not exactly meant flat and straight, I more so was just trying to not "reach back" so low. Keeping it a little higher in the backswing seemed to help with that.

Lastly, the arm is a whip - I get it, but it's always confused me a bit. I'll look at a lot of the vids you posted on the thread you linked, but what has confused me is should my arm be completely loose?

I totally see what you mean by getting stuck on my front leg. I'll be practicing the hershhyzer drill tomorrow without a doubt! Would you say in general my last step needs to be much shorter? Seems like I've fooled myself into thinking a longer step feels like a longer throw.
It has more to due with your balance/posture/sequence than step length. You need your CoG to lead your foot into the stride so it can kick back ahead underneath you to shift/catch yourself in dynamic balance.

Lastly, the arm is a whip - I get it, but it's always confused me a bit. I'll look at a lot of the vids you posted on the thread you linked, but what has confused me is should my arm be completely loose?
You can swing much faster the looser you get, the more you relax and let go into the top of the backswing, the more your muscles stretch/reflex automatically. Should be just like tossing something heavy or long toss drill in baseball. Loose is fast and the verge of out of control. Only enough muscle to help guide and maintain structural integrity coiling into the pocket and then pound the hammer out thru the nail/hit point.

Latest posts