• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First tournament!

Naenae

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
According to my photos, my first round of disc golf (in the post-1970's era) was on 5/27. Since then I have 20 rounds under my belt and I am scheduled for my first local tournament on 9/30, an MVP Circuit Challenge which set me back $40, but at which I will receive three discs (Servo, Tempo, Runway). We all play with just these three.

I put in two rounds on the course last Sunday, and will probably do the same this weekend the player pack discs are an overstable mid, an understable mid, and a throwing putter. I'm hoping we don't throw from the longs with those discs! My review of the tournament course is here. It's very challenging, but fair. I hope other MSP area folk will turn out. End of September is about the finest time to be a Minnesotan.

Right on most of all remember to have fun.

Those are some fairly stable discs, brush up on your fh and be ready for some fade. The servo can actually be more straight stable than OS. I haven't got my tempo in the mail but I hear it's a little os (more than an envy) but less so than a zone or Entropy.

I always wanted to play a circuit.

I love the Servo, it's what got me into MVP/Axiom. It's a 'go-to- forehand disc for me. Pretty much a straight flyer with a bit of fade at the end.

The Tempo is a brand-new disc. It will be interesting to hear how it flies.

Have fun .... and remember these types of "tournaments" are really just meant to get a brand's discs into the hands of players and maybe have the players start using more of that brand's discs. Also, to let players see how the new disc (Tempo in this case) fly.

Hit 'send' too soon. Also, the brands get feedback from players on the 'new' disc. Last year, the MVP Circuit Challenge introduced the Axiom Rhythm which was advertised as turn of -3. After feedback, when the disc went into production it was listed as -2.

MVP doesn't really need an event to draw me in. They have good molds and good plastic. I understand that I'm not going pro. I'm late 50's with ortho issues. It's all good fun.

I'm looking forward to the players pack discs, but it would be better to get them a week in advance to figure out flights. I've played 4 rounds on the tournament course now, so I think I know the shot shapes off the tees.

Make sure you take a mini and mark your lie properly. My first tournament I didn't have one and boy did I ever feel like a noob

I'm extra happy that you drank the gyro Kool-Aid haha

MVP doesn't really need an event to draw me in. They have good molds and good plastic. I understand that I'm not going pro. I'm late 50's with ortho issues. It's all good fun.

I'm looking forward to the players pack discs, but it would be better to get them a week in advance to figure out flights. I've played 4 rounds on the tournament course now, so I think I know the shot shapes off the tees.
The issue is that the Circuit Challenge discs, especially the new one(s), aren't available to the general public until after all the Circuit Challenges are over. Stores can't sell them until after October (I think that is when they can be sold). So MVP doesn't want people to sign up, get the disc early, and then sell them on the market. The purpose is for the player to use them during the challenge round(s). No one has an advantage over anyone else. And, usually, you get your discs before the round starts. I know we had about 30 minutes to an hour to test them - depending upon how early we checked in.

Make sure you take a mini and mark your lie properly. My first tournament I didn't have one and boy did I ever feel like a noob

I'm extra happy that you drank the gyro Kool-Aid haha

This is the sort of advice I need. How not to be an idiot. 😁

I wasn't going to carry my backpack because it will just be three discs, but I'll fish the ol' mini out. I think it's even MVP, actually.

The issue is that the Circuit Challenge discs, especially the new one(s), aren't available to the general public until after all the Circuit Challenges are over. Stores can't sell them until after October (I think that is when they can be sold). So MVP doesn't want people to sign up, get the disc early, and then sell them on the market. The purpose is for the player to use them during the challenge round(s).

Makes sense. Just the Tempo is new though, right?

No one has an advantage over anyone else.

Not to hear some folk say it. I'm trans...:ROFLMAO:

And, usually, you get your discs before the round starts. I know we had about 30 minutes to an hour to test them - depending upon how early we checked in.

Yeah, we can pick them up at 11:00 for a noon start. I'll definitely toss them around a bit. I'm not great with overstable discs yet, although I've bonded with my Zone, and a little bit with a Jårn.

MVP already got their money's worth out of me on this Circuit Challenge--I signed up to buy a Watermelon stamp Hex that was extra. I don't think I get to use it for the CC though.

Zone to tempo should be good then, you should like the extra distance.

Runway is mire beefy

Servo should be workable stable. Depends on the mold up, I got an L2 165 last year and it's decent. Kinda eagle like, or mini crush. Damn I should pull out my esp orange crush. Haha.

Pencils are good, so are non greasy snacks. Towels can win rounds. Water. Don't talk when people are throwing haha, but please dont stop talking when i tee off that just makes me feel weird.. Stay put when people are putting.

I'm excited about the new discs, but I really need to go on a mold diet after this is over. Like many beginners, I have tried to buy my way into shot shapes (i.e. by getting a whole bunch of discs)…but like many advancing beginners, I've figured out that juggling a whole bunch of molds isn't really a great way to develop consistent form.

If I just can't be happy without handing GGGT some money, I plan at the very least to give it to them for duplicates and triplicates of a smaller number of molds that seem to be working for me.

Makes sense. Just the Tempo is new though, right?

That is my understanding. One of the others "may" be in a new plastic, but I don't think that happens often. It's mainly, one disc is new and the others just fill out the remaining spots so there is a putter, mid, and driver.

Not to hear some folk say it. I'm trans...:ROFLMAO:

It's a shame we can't all just treat others nicely.

Yeah, we can pick them up at 11:00 for a noon start. I'll definitely toss them around a bit. I'm not great with overstable discs yet, although I've bonded with my Zone, and a little bit with a Jårn.

It's in the books. I finished +21...not my best on that course but not the worst either. There were more than 100 participants, of which 2 were women. The other one came in 2nd place overall.

They divided us into groups of five and six, and with a shotgun start, the round was over in just over two hours.

Personally, I threw poorly, but putted well. I play almost every round solo. I think being watched on the tee box got in my head a little bit, although everyone was very encouraging to the others. It was the first tournament for everyone in our group of five, which really made it feel like a challenge we were taking together, not against one another.

Of the discs, the Tempo will find its way to my bag. The Runway is like a Compass, but I vastly prefer the Compass. The Servo may eventually find a slot, but I recently replaced a beat up, low weight Leopard with a Tursas, and the Servo may have to wait its turn. I also bought the optional watermelon Hex, which on a few post-round throws came off as similar to a Buzzz, but more comfortable in the hand and on release.

90 degrees on September 30 in Minnesota. Even hotter expected today on October 1. Drive one less trip this week, and consider reducing your consumption of red meat.