• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Review - getting worse and losing distance!

JimmyBlundell

https://imgur.com/a/xpQ1yKP

Here are some rear and side views of my usual throw. In the past several months, for whatever reason, I've lost distance. Nose up issues have gotten worse, and OAT has not gotten any better - all that disregarding the fact I still cannot figure out how to engage my lower body / brace properly. Anymore I'm really not getting much past the 330-350' mark on decent days - down from 370-380 roughly a year ago.

You need to slow down and work on the smaller motions. It's going to feel wildly different correcting this.

1. Grip likely needs work so that you aren't throwing nose up.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137985

2. Work on shifting from behind correctly and tilted spiral. You are shifting from in front and getting jack up behind your brace instead of allowing the upper body to rotate on a tilted axis over the brace.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

FYI Imgur sucks for analysis because when you pause it leaves the big play button in the middle.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 7.58.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 7.58.24 PM.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 58
https://youtu.be/rrxsvmVpeCs
I did not realize that. Here's a YouTube clip of them back to back if you wanted to check them out!

The shifting from behind vs. in front concept is still a bit odd to wrap my head around conceptually. My thought is, that while my weight travels targetward, my butt should essentially be pointed to the target and sort of leading the way? What am I doing now that makes say I'm shifting from in front? I'll rewatch the videos you linked, but if you had anything extra to say on that subject that would be awesome. It's always been a weird one for me.

Last edited:
Your front foot is opening up before you plant and you end up in the immoveable horsestance and pushing off your rear heel.

Note how much more backwards GG is in those pics and more over his toes.

The shifting from behind vs. in front concept is still a bit odd to wrap my head around conceptually. My thought is, that while my weight travels targetward, my butt should essentially be pointed to the target and sort of leading the way? What am I doing now that makes say I'm shifting from in front?
Shifting from behind means being braced properly, so that the arm launches forward as a result of rotational force generated by the weight shift and brace. Right now it's backwards, you're strong-arming because you have no real brace to leverage on (nose up may be a consequence of this rather than a grip issue).

I prefer saying you need to be closed to the target line instead of "leading with your butt" because it can be easily misunderstood. If you're caught on your heels you're not doing it right, and if this happens you're likely closing off too early in the walk-up.

You need to slow down and work on the smaller motions. It's going to feel wildly different correcting this.

I'll rewatch the videos you linked, but if you had anything extra to say on that subject that would be awesome. It's always been a weird one for me.

Do the drill.

If you compare your throw to doing that battering ram drill (and post it to check if you're doing it right), the way you're throwing now would lead the ram to pulling you around in front of and around your brace off balance. The front shoulder should be low like shoveling snow so what when you land you can get power swinging more directly balanced over your front leg, which Power of Posture is all about.

Part of the "open/closed hips" and "shift from in front" story is about how you load and move off the rear side. Compare a dude actually swinging a ram to Paul's backswing:

NevzHnH.png

If the guy on the left was swinging a ram or weight with one hand and swinging back farther braced correctly on his rear leg, it would pull his hips "closed" to the target with his upper body as it turns away, making his butt lead like Paul. Then he would still be shifting off that rear leg right back at the door and swing the ram or weight balanced on the front leg.

Do the drill.

You can also swing a weight back and forth shuffling laterally sideways, btw, which I wish I'd done more earlier. But you need to start learning what it teaches you about posture in any case.

Also, I recommend you re-use the same form thread each time. Context and history matter!

vZ0j6KM.png

Assuming that these are all you, I learned that you are a baseball player who had trouble learning to switch hit, and noticed that you don't seem to follow up after initial posts in different threads. Your throw seems to have gone from controlled to kind of violent and forced. I have the strong suspicion that you are trying to brute force your way to distance without slowing down to learn how to move. Maybe you'll figure it out on your own, but your queries and history suggest that you would benefit from a different strategy. Where would you place your bet?

I'm happy to help fill in the blanks having been through many of these drills and having them critiqued, and saying things in different ways can help different people. But I think actually doing the battering ram and posting it might teach you more than you think - it will if you let it.

Do the drill.

:D

Last edited:
Apologies for all the different threads. You definitely caught me. From now on everything will stay condensed into this thread.

My form wasn't great to start and has undoubtedly gotten worse which is bizarre to me. I've felt quite off for many months now.

Battering ram sounds like a fantastic place to start. Over the past few weeks a friend of mine has been telling me I'm not staying through on my front leg. I didn't get it at first, but I definitely see what he's saying now with what you and seabas have shown me. Definitely a totally different way of throwing and is going to take some time to work in.

I'll post up a video of the drill next and would love some feedback. I've messed around with some drills before but have never filmed them or asked for feedback. No wonder they haven't helped ��

Apologies for all the different threads. You definitely caught me. From now on everything will stay condensed into this thread.

My form wasn't great to start and has undoubtedly gotten worse which is bizarre to me. I've felt quite off for many months now.

Battering ram sounds like a fantastic place to start. Over the past few weeks a friend of mine has been telling me I'm not staying through on my front leg. I didn't get it at first, but I definitely see what he's saying now with what you and seabas have shown me. Definitely a totally different way of throwing and is going to take some time to work in.

I'll post up a video of the drill next and would love some feedback. I've messed around with some drills before but have never filmed them or asked for feedback. No wonder they haven't helped ��

Sounds good. I always make the most progress when I get drill feedback myself, so hopefully that can be a good initial course of action for you!

The drills are hard and it is very easy to do them incorrectly (or maybe I'm just a slow learner :) ). Case in point, if you go to my form review thread I've been posting crush the can drills since mid-December and I'm still working on getting it right. It is definitely very helpful to work through them.

Latest posts