• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Heavy Fission discs

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I lost my Plasma Volt and will be picking up a replacement soon. I was looking online and noticed the Skullboy special edition Fission Volts were just released. Very cool stamp, but what really caught my eye was the weight range of these. Almost all of them are over 170g. How does that work with Fission plastic? Are the rims extra heavy, are the flight plates extra think, etc.?

Has anybody here thrown heavy Fission plastic? How does it fly compared to regular Fission?

I lost my Plasma Volt and will be picking up a replacement soon. I was looking online and noticed the Skullboy special edition Fission Volts were just released. Very cool stamp, but what really caught my eye was the weight range of these. Almost all of them are over 170g. How does that work with Fission plastic? Are the rims extra heavy, are the flight plates extra think, etc.?

Has anybody here thrown heavy Fission plastic? How does it fly compared to regular Fission?

I picked up a lightly beat 175g Fission Volt from a used bin. Flies like a Volt, maybe a touch less stable than normal.

If anything, shouldn't this maximize the gryo?? Just what MVP heads are after.
A long throwing MVP team member shared his love for max weight fission photons, feeling they flew straighter, longer. Excellent penetration (dger talk 😅)

I picked up a lightly beat 175g Fission Volt from a used bin. Flies like a Volt, maybe a touch less stable than normal.

Less stable or less overstable? They are not the same thing. Less stable could mean more OS or more US....

Heavier Fission should be more rim weighted, which means it is going to take more energy to create the same amount of spin but the disc will also keep it's spin longer.

In other words, thrown at full power it should fly straighter longer.

Last edited:
I wondered this as well. I haven't dabbled with Fission as lower weight discs usually are too flippy for me. But Fission peaks my interest. Especially the heavier Fissions. I would think that would make the weight outside still significantly more dense? Leading to a more sharp hyzer finish, but high speed is what I wonder. Do they turn over LESS if heavier (as one would think)
I would like to hear from experience. Fission experts? and yeah a heavy fission volt - how would it compare to a max weight neutron or proton?

I would like to hear from experience. Fission experts? and yeah a heavy fission volt - how would it compare to a max weight neutron or proton?

As I mentioned above, sample of one flies like a Volt, maybe slightly flippier, if it pleases the furry dragon.

Max weight Fission varies a bit on mold and run. The latest Fission Photons 168g+ are super beefy but do break in faster than Neutron/Proton/Plasma. The beef cakes become more workable with some seasoning. 170g+ Fission Teslas throw like a Tesla when new and slowly beat into a cross between a Tesla and an Inertia. It is like they fly like a new Inertia all the time. 170g+ Fission Volts run beefy but once they beat in they are like other Volts. There was someone on the MVP Fan FB page that took max weight Fission and lower weight Fission along with other discs and cut out the core and compared them as well as flight. The extra weight in the beefy Fission is in the rim. So technically, they should have the most gyroscopic affect. I love Fission despite all the inconsistencies and hold onto the seasoned discs that work well. I generally prefer any of the Fission when it molds up flat and slightly matte in color and chalky in feel. Some of the newer runs are super domey and the plastic is super shiny and a bit slick.

Some of the newer runs are super domey and the plastic is super shiny and a bit slick.

Just picked up a 171 Skullboy, and it's kinda like you're describing, slick and a bit domey compared to my other Fission's. Will throw it tomorrow and report back

Update: got out and threw the 171 Fission alongside my lighter weight Fission and max weight Eclipse. With a normal power throw it was very beefy for a Volt. Trying to really crank on it got it straight, with a sudden, hard fade.