• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hey newbie reviewers, it's not the course, its you!

Yeah, I just read a review from a course designer about his own course that seemed conveniently light on the cons. Can course designers be unbiased about their own course? Probably, but when a business is charging admission I'm willing to bet they're always going error on the side of overrating rather than underrating.

Was it me by any chance? It's a difficult one, I ummed and ahhed over posting reviews on my own, but thought I would do it making it clear I was the designer so likely to have a big ol' bias.

Issue is no-one else over here posts reviews on courses and some of the ones that are posted are just ridiculous, 4+ stars for crappy little nine holers with no tees, overgrown, poorly signposted, poor flow, boring layout rubbish. I'm trying to encourage others to use this site more actively to give more objective views but not getting very far at the moment!

Was it me by any chance? It's a difficult one, I ummed and ahhed over posting reviews on my own, but thought I would do it making it clear I was the designer so likely to have a big ol' bias.

Issue is no-one else over here posts reviews on courses and some of the ones that are posted are just ridiculous, 4+ stars for crappy little nine holers with no tees, overgrown, poorly signposted, poor flow, boring layout rubbish. I'm trying to encourage others to use this site more actively to give more objective views but not getting very far at the moment!

I'm kind of with you here. if the designer is up front about it being his own course, it's better than no reviews at all IMHO. INFO is what people want, and at least I'll know the nature of the course.

I have no problem with newbie reviews, and it's pretty obvious when people don't know what they're talking about. "There are too many trees.... too many long holes, unplayable because of blind teeshots" I mean all this is almost a fact but formed in opinion. I prefer reviews to leave the opinions out and just tell it like it is. Course was heavily wooded is fine, or lots of blind tee shots, once you say it's "too many" or "unplayable" then I start to wonder, just say it's heavily wooded or low ceilings or whatever it is. I read review mostly for the facts, and if someone is stating those facts about a course well, I am far more likely to listen to their opinions about a course when they have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because of this thread I've spent a little time looking at the review filtering. Great feature!!!! Is there any way to get these filters added to the course directory search.
Good question that was lost in the shuffle.I don't know how long the expanded course filter as been in place, but it is a great resource.:thmbup:

Well if nothing else this thread has got me to review a few local courses I play pretty often. Hopefully the reviews don't suck. lol

I have no problem with newbie reviews, and it's pretty obvious when people don't know what they're talking about. "There are too many trees.... too many long holes, unplayable because of blind teeshots" I mean all this is almost a fact but formed in opinion. I prefer reviews to leave the opinions out and just tell it like it is. Course was heavily wooded is fine, or lots of blind tee shots, once you say it's "too many" or "unplayable" then I start to wonder, just say it's heavily wooded or low ceilings or whatever it is. I read review mostly for the facts, and if someone is stating those facts about a course well, I am far more likely to listen to their opinions about a course when they have them.

Sounds like you want a robust description but not a review.

Occasionally we like to bitch about some of the stuff we see in reviews, and one of the things that gets me is when some obviously new player takes to the review console to bash a course that gave them a hard time like doing so is going to give them some sense of delicious revenge.
Did you ever stop and think that this is by design.
Why else would you have the image of a grenade in the background of recent reviews on the front page ?

Did you ever stop and think that this is by design.
Why else would you have the image of a grenade in the background of recent reviews on the front page ?

My first thought here was....wha...? Then I looked at the background ('watermark') image behind the recent reviews and thought, "wow! he might be right..." ...before looking more closely and discerned that's a clipboard with a pencil attached by a string. But it just could be seen as a grenade! :eek:

ps: this is the first time in five years I've even noticed that there WERE watermark images there. Talk about inattentiveness! :doh:

Sounds like you want a robust description but not a review.

You do remember this is about newbie reviews right. By no means am I saying I won't take playability into account from someone who knows what that entails. But if someone who may not even throw 250' yet telling me something about playability may not be accurate.

Latest posts