• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Glow Plastic

Disc Golf Greg

Par Member
Well let me start off here. I like playing Night Disc, and often times I only have time to play after it's dark. I used to use those fishing glow sticks. One night I had a drive that hit the ground and rolled. I never found it, I imagine the Disc just flipped over and I didn't see the glow stick. Well I saw a Roc in Glow Plastic at my 7/11 and was wondering if I should pick it up. I would love to be able to play Night Disc again, since I won't play anymore with the glow sticks. How long does it hold a glow? What's the best way to charge it? etc.

Great thanks... have you ever lost a Disc? Or been close to losing one because you couldn't see it? Would a Camera flash work good?

I too have been attempting night throwing and have given up on taping anything to the surface. I tried painting a couple discs with glow in the dark paint. Surprisingly it didn't throw off the stats of the discs.

But to answer part of your question, UV light works best to charge. You can buy UV bulbs that are designed for labs, but they can be expensive. Black light bulbs have a high amount of UV output, but compact fluorescent bulbs work really well too. In fact most fluorescent bulbs have a decent amount of UV output.

I've never used a glow disc before, but I've heard they don't hold charge that well. Having painted a disc I can say that glow discs probably hold charge just as well as painted discs. You'll spend more $ on glow discs, but they will fly like they're supposed to, and they'll still be PDGA approved.

I don't think a camera flash would work all that well because it's a short burst of light. I've used a flash light on the surface and it will hold through the hole. I usually give it a bit of a boost before every drive.

I night golf sometimes at Buffalo Grove in IL. I've always used the Thill Nightbright fishing lure lights & I've never had a problem. I tape them to the bottom of the disc using Strapping Tape. I find it to be the stickiest of the tapes out there. It's the tape with the string in the tape.
I also have a Glow Orc that Innova sent me over the Holidays that I use, I've found that a camera flash doesn't charge the disc. The portable black light works nice. Last year we played a lot of night golf at Clark Park when the moon was full & we didn't use lights or glow discs at all. We could spot our discs from the glow of the moon on the disc, once your night vision kicks in after about 20 minutes, you can see everything.

Jason

I would get a portable black light to charge and use glow discs. It is fairly easy to find and better than using your favorite disc. Just don't get too attatched...you are throwing in the dark.

Portable black lights work great, plus they don't draw a lot of attention if the park your disc golf course is in "technically" closes at dusk. Camera flashes=neighbors calling the Cops.

Camera flashes also disrupt your eyes' adjustment to the darkness.

ERic

how would a Petzl headlamp do? i know flipping it on and off again could disrupt your eyes / but if its on your head and you use it sparingly - you can play hands free if you're only using one disc.
also good to negotiate rough terrain.

how many discs do people typically use in a glow round? I'm thinking minimal 1-3 discs would be the best way to go.

Yeah I'm planning on using one Disc as long as I can find a Roc. I'll probably be charging it with a flashlight for now, but may invest in a Black light. I have 4 stores I can go to for Discs, hope I find some Glow Discs. (2 7/11's, Play It Again Sports, and a little store this lady runs that I like giving her my business rather than to a big company like 7/11.

I think the crowd I play with could be considered night experts somewhat. We crave the frosts of winter so the skeeters will die down. When that happens off we go. I have played 3 rounds in one night to find my windshield frosted over when finished. With that said, the humidity is super high here even in winter so we have tried all the tricks. We also have some water hazards and tons of trees and very dense roughs.

Here are my experiences:
1. Glow discs suck, regardless of who makes them they have to be charged constantly and if the moon is up they can be hard to find in thick terrain.

2. Regular glow sticks and fishing lights are not a great choice either. The sticks don't make enough light and the fish lights are too big(oh and they are expensive).

3. The light's you punch a hole in your disc for suck too! We started here and ruined some great discs for a marginal product. The thing pops out of the disc more often than we like and the light goes off all the time, unless you put foil in between the batteries.

The best setups for night disc golf is this: clear duct tape(expensive but great product, leaves a residue though), flat watch batteries 2032, red LEDs. Put the leads of the LED around the battery and tape to disc. Bottom for clear/champ discs and top for dx/star/esp discs. Weighs in at 4 grams and does make the disc a little more stable, make sure to center the battery in the dimple or over it in a disc. I have knocked one of these combos loose and even loose it still was lit enough to find it. Don't get all LED happy when you go to the sites that sell them, hands down red is the best and consumes the least amount of energy so your batteries can be reused. Find websites that sell LEDs and batteries and if you order from the Chinese/Japanese companies they are really cheap. I think around $0.60 for the whole set up for each disc. You will have to buy in large quantities though, I think 50 of each. Google it or I can find a specific website if anyone is interested.

Recommend the headlamps with the red light option for finding your way around. Use the red only so you don't ruin your night vision. I also carry the roll of tape and extra batts and LEDs just in case and a mag light to shine the basket with, oh and for any would be trouble makers heads. We turn this off prior to throwing. Hooked some guys up in a round in Memphis area with this set up and they loved it.

Keith

has Flashflight come out with a Disc Golf disc? or will they ever? i know they make a small and a mini one - but i've never used one other than the Original 185 g disc. The small looks about disc golf disc size - they light up real bright. If they made something Roc-ish that lit up like their regular discs it would be unbelievable for night golf.

in ball golf night golf - the balls suck - and it's probably a good thing - too long of a shot could be dangerous even if you have the brightest ball ever. Night DG with a midrange would be more like Daytime DG - as opposed to Night Ballgolf - which is not even close to daytime ball golf cause the balls go ¼ the distance