• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Journey to 600+ hopefully

potatoehead

Hello

Intro
I have been playing disc golf for two months now coming over from competitive ultimate where I was a handler and puller. I am absolutely loving the sport as it is my favorite part of ultimate, throwing.

Background
I grew up playing all sports, the most relevant being baseball for 10 years and ultimate for 4 with years of throwing a frisbee before. I am right handed but batted switch and preferred left handed (the hip movement of a backhand). My backhand in all racket sports/ultimate has always been significantly stronger. In ultimate I was my teams power thrower and puller with big power on the pull and backhands.

Goal
I want to be able to throw 600 on golf lines. I recognize that I also need to continue to develop the other parts of my game. I love putting and upshot work and will continue to work on those.

Disc golf Numbers

Putters
In disc golf rn I can throw putters 250-280 comfortably, haven’t tried to throw farther too much because I run into turning it over and I’d rather use a mid.
Mids
I throw mids 300-350 pretty easily thrown mids 375 some times in fields. This is pretty much all with rocs. When I try to throw them farther or those distances up winds I will turn them over.
Fairways
I can throw fairways 350-400 pretty easily.
Distance
Then distance drivers 400-430. I think I’ve thrown 450 once in a field with a boss. I’ve consistently been able to hit all those distances on golf lines with those discs in most winds. Thrown 400-420 pretty consistently with upwind drives on golf lines with distance drivers. Don’t know what my true max is haven’t really ripped them haven’t played 430 foot plus holes with open space for rips. Mostly been throwing Bosses for max distance throws. A champion boss and two Gstar bosses, sometimes have issues with them turning over a bit on max distance throws, same with my Dx Destroyers.

Videos
All the videos have 3 throws one (rear speed full I think has 4). Feel free to just watch the first throw or everything to get an average. All throws were with mids rocs and mako3s. The green disc was a zone in the rear full speed. Between 300-350 I think one was 375. Mostly rocs and mako3s. I’m pretty sure I was trying to throw these all flat. I have thoughts below but I want you to form you own opinion before reading my thoughts so I don’t bias.

This is the side angle normal speed

This is side angle slow mo

This is rear angle normal speed

This is rear angle slow mo

Watch Videos First
Please watch videos first so that my thoughts don’t bias your opinions.

Then read my thoughts.

I do intentionally supinate, pouring the the pitcher is not comfortable/doesn’t work for me.
I think I am lacking distance on my distance drivers right now,
Things I think I might be doing wrong and want tips on
1. Maybe some OAT out of the hand,
2. With my distance drivers I think I am throwing too hard? Can’t figure out, I feel like I should have some more distance for these discs with how easily I can throw fairways 370-400
1. Granted I haven’t done a ton of max distance work because I haven’t been playing many courses that out distance me and haven been focused on continuing to develop my short game and forehand.
3. I throw too high often especially with my higher speed discs.
4. Maybe too wide on steps?
5. I think I can cock my wrist back more to add spin?
6. Is my x step too wide?
7. I think I should bring the disc a little bit higher while I’m holding it during the x step to help bring down some of the nose. I think bringing the disc up to be level before the throw sometimes tilts the throw up more.

Thank you in advance!

Yes your x-step looks too big putting you off balance on your rear leg/leaning back. You need to shorten the x-step and really exaggerate it. Make it feel stupid small.

You also drive off your rear heel, instead of the ball of the foot. Main reason why drive off your rear heel is, because your rear foot is so backwards pointing nearly 180 degrees away from the target. Should be 100-140 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also don't think of your wrist as adding spin. Focus on keeping the wrist straight during the whole throw. The wrist will want to cock during the powerpocket due to momentum, but you will want to resist that to build load.

Yes your x-step looks too big putting you off balance on your rear leg/leaning back. You need to shorten the x-step and really exaggerate it. Make it feel stupid small.

You also drive off your rear heel, instead of the ball of the foot. Main reason why drive off your rear heel is, because your rear foot is so backwards pointing nearly 180 degrees away from the target. Should be 100-140 degrees.

First off thank you!

Make all of the steps shorter? or certain ones in particular?

Also what does want to resist that to build load mean?

Left foot step shorter cross step. Could try hopping more vertical instead of so far horizontal. You land your CoG too far behind your left foot(pressure point in front of CoG slows it down) and your left foot too backwards to make a more lateral move off it from the instep/toes driving the heel.

You need to lead more with your elbow or keep the elbow more forward throughout, bending elbow more with disc swinging in closer to center or right pec instead of left pec/shoulder. This will give you more spin, increasing the range of motion of the elbow and acceleration.
attachment.php

Watch how your arm/disc angles are almost inverted from Harley all the way from backswing to release.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 11.47.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 11.47.11 PM.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts