• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mosquito Lake State Park, Cortland OH

SmoothSailor

* Ace Member *
I haven't gone to any of the meets, but from what I'm being told (by a very reliable source), they already have 9 baskets purchased and in their possession, there have been 2 walk abouts to look at hole options and another is scheduled for this coming week AND they apparently already have a nice disc selection in their park office :).

I haven't heard any confirmed dates yet, but I have been told we will be able to go throw some discs by the end of August. :D

I'm excited for the sudden buzzz disc golf has received in the park departments around this area lately.

On a side note, the Howland Township Park board has asked me to attend the meeting this Friday to talk about installing a course in one of three undecided locations.

I like how some of the areas state parks are putting in baskets.
Seems like an ideal situation:
Gives campers another activity to do during their stay, as well as a place for locals to play thus promoting the sport.
Natural wooded settings for potentially great layouts.
Maintenance should never be an issue with the park staff on hand.

My boys are old enough for camping now, and you know I'll be looking to take them to the state parks that offer disc golf. So it's also a way to promote business for the parks themselves.

This idea has been completed :)

I didn't get a chance to take pictures today, but I'll be out again tomorrow playing. Here's the skinny on the digs man...

12 holes, no plans for 6 more. Natural tee pads for this week, hard to spot as a first timer, red spray paint on the ground, no markers for direction or length or which basket. Some brush still needs cut to create greens and carve out fairways. Plays over and next to the lake. 2 par 4, 1 par 5. Ill put a full review up when I get it listed.

If anyone wants to come play this and be able to get guided around, PM ME ASAP.

Here is the skinny.

Mosquito has been a two year project not a two time walk thru! The planning, approval part moved at a typical multi-government agency crawl. Once green lighted everything did happen very fast. The project was park funded and other than the "in kind" design, layout work, and some light tree trimming all labor has been done by park staff.

The grand opening has not been scheduled, but course is ready for play. natural tees w/ kickpads, kiosk, scorecards, maps, pins, park directional signage, and discs. Tee signage is promised and I am sure the park will deliver.

12 holes installed no promise on more holes. I can tell you the full layout proposal was not 12 or 18 holes. Good news - Within 5 miles are 27 more holes (YR & KSU).

Latest posts