• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Important Basket

Most important target to be in spec

• Putting Green

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Hole #1

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Finishing Hole

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Signature Hole

• other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is no "proper height" although I believe the vast majority of them should be installed with ground sleeve flush as designed. For level and correct assemblage I would say all of them on the course are equally important and the practice basket less so (even though it should be level and properly assembled as well). Kind of odd question actually... I can't imagine anyone advocating for baskets that are not level or properly assembled.

If there were a course that could only afford to update a basket or two at a time, I would definitely prefer the "better" holes get the better baskets. But I guess that wasn't really the question.

My first inclination is, this seems like a silly question. After all, "Every shot counts as a stroke, and they all count the same (regardless which hole a shot was taken on), so what difference does it make? How can one basket be more important than another?"

But if due to budgetary constraints, you need to upgrade baskets one (or a few) at a time, maybe it makes sense to put the "better" baskets on the holes most likely to create scoring separation, because changing the basket on those holes is more likely to impact total scores for the round.

Changing baskets on holes where par is a relatively foregone conclusion is not likely to impact scores for the round.

At least that's my take.

Last edited:
Over time targets sink, lean, maybe installed low or high. Some get repaired, some get temp repairs (rocks/sticks to stabilize targets) some never do get fixed.

Only silly question, if condition doesn't exists. I see it quite often. Sometimes I see as a problem other times not so much.

Curious what others think.

Over time targets sink, lean, maybe installed low or high. Some get repaired, some get temp repairs (rocks/sticks to stabilize targets) some never do get fixed.

Only silly question, if condition doesn't exists. I see it quite often. Sometimes I see as a problem other times not so much.

Curious what others think.

I think you've kind of answered the question with your description. You fix the one that's broken today and fix the ones that develop an issue in the future when that happens.

If there are multiple requiring repair, most likely to start with the ones that are in the worst condition.

If it's the whole course needs new baskets and youve only got money for 3 or 6 or whatever, start with the ones in the worst shape. Those go away. Then do the first x# holes. May have to shift some old baskets to locations further back.

Regardless, the impact of a partial update will be most noticed on the first holes.

JMO.

Seems obvious that the first holes to get new baskets should be any holes where something's wrong with the existing basket.

Obvious to the point that I didn't even consider it in my response above. My post assumes all the existing baskets are in similar condition.

Any target where a spit out due to improper installation and/or poor maintenance could cost someone a win. [That would be ALL of them.]

I would say the most important holes to have a properly functioning basket would be those that a great drive is likely to yield a circle's edge putt. Holes where a great drive should be parked are less critical.

Should go without saying, but my strong preference is for all targets to be in good shape and installed properly.

To me baskets that are visibly tilted make a hole look half assed even if a brand new high dollar basket is installed.:doh:

Post was out of curiosity.

Recently a local course had all the baskets replaced. The original course had a basket which had "sunk" over the years. It was a random target (hole 7).

When the targets were replaced, another target was installed low. Someone mentioned it to lead on install. Defensively he said its no different than how old hole 7 was.

I felt differently.

New low target was the last hole of the course, it was the first target you see pulling into parking, and it doubles as the putting green.

Gave me the idea for the post.

BTW - my vote was for Putting Green. Why practice on a low target. Sure all low putts during round would be blamed on the low target.

First hole - Missed first Putt sets up attitude for a bad round.

Last hole - Imagine in heated competition missing that last hole and not being victorious. Obviously the targets fault.

Signature Hole - For real?, how could best hole have such an imperfection.

Holes visible from the road. Person arrives for first time at a course. First targets you see are low. Sets bad first impression.

Obvious Ace hole opportunity - think of those near misses if only target was right height.

I'm sure there are more, more important targets.

Yah it would be great if all were properly installed. Not always the case, but should be the goal.

I think there are some more important to be installed correctly. Not quite sure from posts that others were in agreement.

I'm part of the "hardly matters" group, though I guess it depends on how bad the installation is. ("Hardly matters" which hole; it does matter than baskets be installed correctly).

If pushed, the least tolerable to me would probably be a signature hole, where you might end up say, "It's a great hole, but..."

Latest posts