• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NeuralBlaze's 2012 Bag

Neural_Blaze

I've pretty much settled on the PD/River driver combination for this season. I'm not completely sure on the River, but they're working fine, so I'll toss 'em till I lose 'em. Probably try a Leopard in that slot next season.

I got another 177g Axis which kicked the Buzzz back out of the bag, but they're pretty interchangeable for me.

Added a RFF Wizard which I LOVE for putting and soft approaches/layups, and a Fisrt Run Basic JOKERi for forehand approaches and general overstable mid/putter duties.

Stable Drivers

172g C-Line PD Freak - Wine - 9/10 - Stable to overstable, more of an L shaped line than C shaped
171g P-Line PD Freak - Yellow - 7/10 - Pretty much standard Teebird flight path
167g P-Line PD Freak - Yellow - 8/10 - A bit longer and less fade than the 171g

Control / Fairway Drivers

173g Gold Line River - Purple Swirl - 9/10 - Somewhere between Leopard and Eagle
170g Test Run River - Yellow - 7/10 - beat in to understable about as fast as the previous peach one it replaced

Specialty Drivers

177g Star Firebird - Blue - 7/10 - MEATHOOK
170g Champion Roadrunner - Pink - 9/10 - Turnovers or hyzerflips

Understable Mid
171g Gold Line Fuse - Purple - Not throwing this much, using the Anode or JOKERi forehand

Stable / Overstable Mid
177g Vector - Pink - 9/10 - Not throwing this much but still like it in the bag

Neutral / Stable Mid
177g Axis - Pink - 9/10 - LOVE this

Putters
176g FR Basic JOKERi - White - 9/10 - Love this for stable approach shots, forehand approaches, putting
174g Medium Anode - Pink - 8/10 - Used more for driving and long approaches, good for sliding on pine needles and dirt
175g RFF Wizard - Amazing for putts and approaches that need to stick

Bag
Fade Gear Crunch Box

2012BagBetaBag.jpg

Drivers - Discmania PDs

drivers.jpg

Fairways - Latitude 64 Rivers

fairways.jpg

Specialty Drivers - Roadrunner and Firebird

specialty.jpg

Mids - MVP Vector, MVP Axis, Latitude 64 Fuse

mids.jpg

Putters - MVP Anode, Prodiscus JOKERi, Gateway Wizard

putters.jpg

Welcome. The different Flows you have are faster than speed 10 but could cover everything the Orcs do pretty well.

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback!

Yeah I think I'm going to find some overlap between the Flow and the Orc. Probably one or the other will get pulled at the end of the season for something 11-13 speed.

I've found the Orc more stable than the Flow, so I guess it'll depend what type of throws I have the most success with.

NeuralBlaze said:
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback!

Yeah I think I'm going to find some overlap between the Flow and the Orc. Probably one or the other will get pulled at the end of the season for something 11-13 speed.

I've found the Orc more stable than the Flow, so I guess it'll depend what type of throws I have the most success with.

The trouble with both discs is that they vary from disc to disc so you may find a Flow that flies like most Orcs only faster and vice versa. Flows especially vary wildly in flight characteristics. Large variances in dome and parting line heights leading to hugely different flights. Flat low PLH Flows flip hard at least in the early blue GLs and domey high PLH ones don't flip for me without wind or user error.

Breaking in a light P PD would give you a slower Roadrunneresque disc if you want to eliminate that mold. Flat Flows with low PLH should cover longer understale lines. If you find an atypically hard fading c PD it would be close to a broken in Firebird but faster. Powering down would bring it even closer to the FB.

The names on Gateway putters describing softness are sometimes misleading. SS doesn't survive regular driving. Unless there are no trees and only grass. The Anode does well in durability on all but the harshest courses . And straight lines and mild deviations from straight. Magics and Wizards do better in tightly bending shots.

Yeah, I've been turning the Flows over really hard lately. The Flow/Orc section will probably be replaced next season, but I think I'll do fine with them for now. I'll probably hold on to the Orcs since the ones I have look like they'll be pretty nice, but only time will tell, I've only thrown one of them a few times.

Do you think a Wraith or Destoyer would be a better Max D compliment to the rest of the bag? I was really digging the Pro Wraith I had at the beginning of the season before I lost it, and it seems like the Destroyer is similar. My buddy has a bright pink Star Destroyer he loooooves (Star Wars reference doesn't hurt).

I'll probably add another P-PD and a C-PD at some point for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Yeah I have a mix of SS and SSS, and my SSS Magic is the hardest of all of them (most likely because it's the newest, but the plastic feels very different from the ones I got last year), and the SS is softer than all the rest. I don't do much putter driving but I'm hoping to change that with the Anode. I'll probably pick up an Ion or some more Gateway down the line, but I've already got a bunch of nice putters that work just fine.

Not knowing how far you throw and with how much spin i can't make an informed opinion about faster discs. Flow is the Latitude Wraith so i'd avoid the overlap if a domey VIP with high PLH sits in your bag because it should not turn without wind. Unless you rip beyond 410' with it. The Destroyer is faster and fades harder so it needs more power to fly on the lines you plan on but should fly farther for everyone that have enough arm speed.

I'll post more of an update tonight, but I've been stuck offline with some technical issues for the past week or so.

I moved to a Wizard / Anode setup for putters, and Fuse / Axis / Vector for mids...until I dumped the Axis into a pond...so back to the Buzzz till payday.

I'm about 300'-350 Max D, mayyybe a little bit further but certainly not with any consistency.

I updated the OP (except for the pics) with my current setup.

Upcoming Changes

Buzzz > Axis - Axis is just too perfect for a Neutral mid, and my Buzzz is a bit worn in anyway

Wizard > Ion - I really like the inside rim of my Anode and want to try something a little more stable for drives...the consistency of MVP plastic is a plus too

Orc > More PDs - I'm going to keep the Orcs in the bag for risky shots since I want to replace them w/ PDs anway. Certainly don't dislike them, just don't see them doing anything I couldn't hit with another disc

I really think I could use the PD for anything 300'+ just to work on my form and consistency

I'm looking to try out a FD Jackal as well....do they complement a River or overlap too much?

I'm going to throw a bunch with the Flows to really figure out how each of them works, but I don't see them being in the bag long-term, to much variance from disc to disc.

LOVING the mid setup, here's my fav drive w/ the Fuse so far, #2 on Roland Park in Akron Pa...love this type of tight, right turn hole for turnover/anhyzer shots. Used to try this with a Roadrunner...

RolandHole2-050412.png

I don't have a handle on how the FDs work in general having only one. That one fades too much for me and flips fairly much too. Close to a River but not as good IMO. How the rest of the FDs fare i have no idea. Flow variety is like PD variety. Both have wildly different flights based on individuals. If you know what to look for Flows are fine. High PLH and dome means it won't flip at all or almost not at all at 400'. Low PLH and/or flattish dome and it's flippy.

I may pick up a FD if I can see one in person, I might not mind a bit of a flippy fairway driver. I've been digging my test run River for short/controlled/fairway drives, but the GL has quite a bit more stability. They complement each other pretty well, but I'm guessing the Pro/DX proto material will turn into flip city by the end of the season. I'll have to throw the GL more next round and get a feel for it, I think I've been avoiding it since it's so damn pretty.

I also Played ~27 yesterday and got a better handle on my bag.

I found myself throwing the test run River a whole bunch, got some of my furthest controlled throws (Guessing ~360' downhill) with a nice hyzer flip

I threw the Yellow 170g Flow a good bit too, getting a nice controlled tunover, maybe 20' of left-to-right movement on a ~300' uphill throw, maybe about 10' high. Next hole made a nice ~350+ foot tight S downhill. If I ever have to replace my Flows I'll probably go with a Wraith or something else Innova, since it's hard to find Flows I can get my hands on in person anywhere I know of in PA.

My 175g S-PD definitely has a good bit more stability than the 171g P-PD, it should season nicely. I'll probably get another lighter P-PD to beat in and if I ever lose my Firebird I'll grab a heavy P-PD. Any quick summary of what to look for in PDs, aside from weight and plastic? I'll have to peruse the Gospel of the PD thread a little more for homework.

I'm going to try hyzer flipping my Orcs the next few times I play, as even my lighter P-PD is still dead straight no matter how hard I rip it with a flat release. I'm hoping the Orcs will flip up a bit nicer. Honestly I may be able to flip the PD, I just find it easy to reliably throw the straight Teebird line drive with that particular disc.

Hahaha, check this out, great example of the differences between Flows...is one of these a freak or what?

flows.jpg

Quick update, been throwing better lately. Turned over the test line 170g River into the thick stuff today so I made an order of the following.

177g Axis - replacement

170g Test Run River - replacing lost disc, backup if it gets found

173g Striker - a bit worried since I've heard about inconsistencies in recent runs, but looking for a more stable fairway driver compliment to the River. Might replace with a heavier River if I don't like it

167g P-PD - Trying out a lighter weight PD

I feel like my bag is all long fairway drivers and short distance drivers, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I'm hoping my mids and putters start covering everything 250 feet and in and I start having better control and distance with the drivers out past 350.

Yeah, that's why I ended up trying out the Striker, I figured if I'm not seeing enough HSS and Fade from my 173 GL River I probably want a mold that's more stable. Hopefully I'll get a slightly beefy striker.

I'm thinking the core of my bag is going to end up being various PDs and Rivers. I really like that I can get either disc out almost as far as my Flows, but they power down to 200-250' just fine.

I was thinking of a Teebird instead of a Striker, but I figured a PD powered down would probably fly close to a TB for me. I was thinking Banshee or something like that as well, but between the Firebird powered down or the Vector on a hyzer I can cover most left-turning shots.

The Banshee would be redundant with those discs so save up the money and you'll save strokes because you weren't confused about which disc to throw ever.

My thoughts exactly. Got some new plastic in over the weekend and yesterday, so I'll be updating the OP later tonight. Played a round yesterday after taking out everything over 10 speed. 167g P-PD seems to work just as well as a Max D disc as my flows and the 175g Starchon I picked up on Sat. The Striker I got has a decent dome and does about exactly what I wanted, nice slightly overstable fairway driver. I only threw it on one hole, about 75% power but still got a nice L shaped line drive with a decent fade at the end.

C-PD 172g
S-PD 175g
P-PD 170g
P-PD 167g
S-FB 177g
C-RR 170g
GL Striker 173g
GL River 173g
TM River 170g
Fuse 171g
Axis 177g
Vector 177g