• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Tournament Concept

I always theoretically love the idea of skills challenges, but I never enjoy watching them. They come off as so gimmicky.

Like can you imagine James Conrad beating everyone on a killer course, then losing because there was a forehand contest?

Yea, thats why I would have there be like 10 scored events over a few days so that more people have a chance. And this would hopefully force people to work harder on their weaknesses if this ever blew up and the top players played it and cared about it.

Yea, thats why I would have there be like 10 scored events over a few days so that more people have a chance. And this would hopefully force people to work harder on their weaknesses if this ever blew up and the top players played it and cared about it.

I get it. Just not my thing.

I think the beauty of disc golf (and really any sport) is that you can grind out scores and it isn't always about the best skills.

I think I'm fundamentally against the "reverse competitions", where the practice portion has been turned into the competition. It isn't a bad idea, it just isn't my thing.

A skills challenge is something i have always wanted to see.

I've thought about running one locally, but so far only thoughts. Might as well put it in words. I did google "Disc Golf Olympics" as that's what I would call it, but all that came up was people trying to get it included in the Olympics. So this is my stab at it though I'm sure this isn't so original. The events below would require 70 throws and 30 putts. That is likely enough throws for most players in a day. It also will take time to get through all the challenges, measure, etc. With these 20 events you could have folks move through the course pretty much as normal, shotgun or tee times. A, B, C etc pools could also be applied.

I think it would be a blast. Kudos to OP for bringing it up.

Events

Long Drive - throw 5 - only longest counts
Long Roller Drive - throw 5 - only longest counts

Events below could have participants throw to an archery type target. Each throw scores points depending on how close. 5 Throws each challenge. You then add up total points for each challenge to award standings points.

Most Accurate Drive - points based on distance to line -
Right to Left Challenge (4) - 2 different distances- FH & BH from both
Left to Right Challenge (4)- 2 different distances- FH & BH from both
Overhead Challenge - you have to throw over something
Tunnel Challenge
Roller Accuracy Challenge

Putting Challenges - Points for each putt made

Forced Right to Left
Forced Left to Right
Tunnel
Various Distances (3)

Standings would reflect points awarded for the finishing place in each event, so a real bad event does kill your chances. (Ex 1st 20 points; 2nd 15, 3rd 10, 4th-6th 9, and so on) I would also award standings points on a range basis to keep things closer than it may be otherwise. You could save one event for the end if you are doing a shotgun to add some group excitement. Or a 9 hole shootout between top 10 finishers (someone eliminated each hole until one man (Champion) is standing. This would be the type of event where such a champion determination would be ok (Not A Major):) You could also have people auto advance to the hole based on finish so top point gainer gets to the last hole.

Feel free to make suggestions

One other thought. This could be a great Pro-Am format, which I have brought up before. How much would you be willing to pay to play in this along with a touring pro? $100? Put 4 ams in each group, do 20 groups,. $8,000 total. Pay out the ams $2,500, $1,500 to cover cost, and that leaves $4,000 for the pros to compete for. Do it a couple of days before a major.

Latest posts