• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

Snowshoe does have a course for the summer months. I was just up there in Dec-20 and saw a couple of the baskets while skiing, never missed an imaginery putt while riding the lift up. :D

Its listed on here as 18 holes, but no map of the location. UDisc has several listings (shocker!) but the 9 hole listing is the only one with a map. Those holes are down at the bottom of the hill, not too far from the lake, that's where I saw one of the baskets, just starting up the lift.

Along with their mountain biking and golf course, they are building into a 4 season resort. But, the DG course looks like it's just a minor element of the summer activities, certainly not a destination course.

That would be different than the old one then. The old one was 9 holes on the slopes I am almost certain. We showed up to play it one day years ago and were told it had been removed a month or two prior.

I am not convinced we are at a place where a disc golf exclusive "resort" is feasible. I mean supported by disc golf and offering a measure of amenities, in addition to lodging. I am in, if this happens.

I think the best opportunity is ski and golf resorts that find disc golf a niche offering.
North Cove is the closest thing to a dg "resort" in our area, with three courses, but the on-site lodging prices are way beyond what I would pay.
Around here, mountain biking is the main off-season activity at ski resorts. It seems to be generating a lot more traffic than disc golf and the folks doing it aren't as price sensitive as disc golfers.

I think a ski resort is a great thought. They are busy from (generally) Dec-Mar, pretty much the low season in most areas for disc golf, though some northerners may disagree. Once the snow melts, they pretty much have nothing going on. Even nice ones like Taos in NM. A few tourists go there in the summer, but not many. Another one I am thinking of is Snowshoe in WV--plenty of room up there for a course, and they already offer abundant summer activities--this could just add to it. Really, any ski slope could be an interesting place for a course (would likely want rollaway baskets, skiing and baskets in concrete don't mix too well).

AND...since we are talking ski resorts here, they are generally cooler throughout the year than most areas, and have built in elevation, and every one I have been to have abundant forests too, and...

/*wonders if pitching courses to ski resorts could be a full time job*/

I think we come back to the same problem. Income potential for the resort. Disc golf is likely, to always be, an underfunded, club maintained activity. While other, higher revenue generating, activities will see the most work and financial support. Even with a couple quality courses, in a lot of areas, locals are not likely to drop 10 bucks to play resort golf. You could bring in traveling players, but is that enough? Especially in relation to other activities.

I LOVE to find ski/golf resorts to stay at in disc golf travels. A pool to jump into after a couple rounds, a couple of restaurants/bars to walk to for dinner and drinks. A bunch of other activities to check out, if I want a day off from disc golf.

Is there a golf resort in Peoria? I am thinking about heading that way in a few days.

I think we come back to the same problem. Income potential for the resort. Disc golf is likely, to always be, an underfunded, club maintained activity. While other, higher revenue generating, activities will see the most work and financial support. Even with a couple quality courses, in a lot of areas, locals are not likely to drop 10 bucks to play resort golf. You could bring in traveling players, but is that enough? Especially in relation to other activities.

I LOVE to find ski/golf resorts to stay at in disc golf travels. A pool to jump into after a couple rounds, a couple of restaurants/bars to walk to for dinner and drinks. A bunch of other activities to check out, if I want a day off from disc golf.

I somewhat disagree. Disc golf remains inexpensive to install when compared to lots of other things and if installed in the right place can fit into maintenance (mowing) patterns already established. While the greens fees alone may not offer huge income, disc golfers eat and sleep just like other patrons of a resort and can add another trickle to income streams in more than one way. For ski resorts in particular that is what summertime is about- adding small pieces of income which do not have large expenses attached to them.

If we are talking DG being a standalone thing at a place, then yeah the economics could be tough. But my thought was put a very good to great quality course (or more--think Highbridge) at an existing place, that already has the infrastructure in place--buildings, parking, etc. There usually is someone there in the summer months overseeing things anyway. It wouldn't take a lot of rounds to pay labor for the day, and the extra would go toward paying back the baskets and course upkeep. Seems folks are getting more comfortable paying $15-$25 per day to play really good courses (I am OK with that).

I am not sure the stand-alone DG resort thing would be as viable, as DG'ers historically don't spend tons of $$. For example, my only real visit to a resort with DG is Smugglers Notch. Great courses, I could play there multiple times in a row. Beautiful resort too, but most of that was above my price point--we camped, and drove thru the resort, but didn't do the restaurant or lodging there, just too pricey.

Most ski areas do have flatter woods type areas too, so not EVERY hole need be a quad burner. Throw in a few top of the world shots and most people would suffer the climb up I think. Or just keep a lift operating, and have a course that just plays down and across, with some woods thrown in.

OK--those are the ideas--you all go make it happen. :)

Latest posts