• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Bag of a Whisker

DiscWhisker

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 1 year, 1 month
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Styles: RHBH and some RHFH, both from standstill. Push putting from inline and straddle stances.
Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver: Pure - 200/220', Meteor - 220/250', FD - 240/270'

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?:
Overall I'm quite healthy at 5' 6", 144 lbs, but years of sitting at the office are really showing.
Other sport proficiencies?:
None

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
I'm fairly happy with my simple setup and I feel that the bag covers most shot types within my abilities without too much overlap.

Specific areas of desired feedback:
Currently, I struggle most with straight low lines. Z FLX Buzzz isn't working for me and I'm considering either trying a lighter one in different plastic or dropping it. The Meteor could probably handle these approaches, if Buzzz and Zone were switched to a S-line MD2. I'm trying to keep the number of discs at 12 or less, so there's still room for few discs in the bag. Other disc suggestions and advice is welcome as my form is pretty much a work in process. I'm concentrating on improving my consistency and developing a smooth standstill form - no disc will magically improve those, but I'd guess a lot of discs can make them worse.

Bag:
(weight plastic model, condition - use)

Drivers
169g S-line FD, 9/10 - main driver
171g C-line FD2, 9/10 - into the wind, also powers down to OS mid shots

Approach
172g Z FLX Buzzz, 9/10 - generalist mid (hyzer, straight, flexing anny)
169g Z Meteor, 8.5/10 - straight and anny approaches
169g ESP Zone 9/10 - windy approaches and utility shots
174g Opto Pure 9/10 - all approach shots when there's less wind or a mid is not required

Putters
173g Zero Soft Pure 8/10 - approach shots in wooded fairways and when sticky landings are needed
174g Zero Medium Pure 9/10 - main putter

Disc-specific notes:
172g Z FLX Buzzz - This particular Buzzz seems glideless, finicky to throw and has more fade than I expected. This could all be due to form flaws and false expectations, but I have been considering a lighter (max 169g) Buzzz in ESP or Elite Z. Other 5/5/0/1 molds or workhorse mids with some fade would be fine too.
173g Zero Soft Pure - The most used disc for approaches and putting at the moment, the idea is to season it into mellow understable approach disc.
169g S-line FD - Works consistently on most lines and will be seasoned into turn over disc.

Other discs on the sidelines:
156g Star Teebird, 9.5/10 - Field training disc
157g Star Teebird, 9.5/10 - Field training disc, one of the Teebirds is occasionally in the bag, but FD gets the more air time on the course for now.
150g DX Eagle, 8.5/10 - Silly little Eagle. A fun disc to throw and performs well enough to be in the bag occasionally.
157g Opto Jade, 9/10 - Frequents in the bag as a slightly longer FD.
169g Opto Saint, 10/10 - Waiting for the day I can sling it properly.
169g Champion Mako3, 9/10 - Field trainining disc, overlaps Pure, Meteor and Buzzz too much to be in the bag.

I've always hated the flx plastic for the buzzz. Not even sure why.

I really like your set up otherwise.

Thank you Ranger, I posted my bag here as a sanity check to see if I was making rational choices with my limited knowledge, I'm attempting to build a scaled-down bag that is also versatile enough. I understand that it isn't easy to do and much of the disc selection comes down to personal preference, but suggestions and discussion on how to achieve that are welcome. :)

The Z FLX Buzzz was a bit of a gamble for me, as I wanted to try out both tackier plastics and the Buzzz. That really didn't work out too well. Maybe I had some false expectations, but I'm not getting the effortless straight and steady flight with some fade from it. The glide seems to kick in when the disc begins fading and it makes those low straight approaches with the disc feel like slinging a brick. If the disc is thrown on a higher line (with nose down), it'll climb on a straight line until it begins to fade and is then carried quite far from the original line, which is natural.

In the end, I think that the disc is 'ok', but I expected it to be something else and some properties of the plastic, mold, or this particular combination of mold and material just makes it feel incompatible. Also, i'm sure my less-than-optimal form is the reason for most inconsistencies with the disc.

I do like the rim on Buzzz and I'd be willing to try another one in lighter weight and in different plastic. Other solution would be to try a S-line MD2 (another plastic and rim type that feels comfortable) as a slightly overstable disc and throw the low straight approaches with that or Meteor depending on the situation.

Latest posts