• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on the Mental Game

My response to that would be: in general, disc golf fairways are much narrower than ball golf fairways. Obviously very course dependent, but you're not going to find an Idlewild-type equivalent in ball golf, to my knowledge.

And one last thing.... In general, most disc golf courses aren't created nearly as difficult as Idlewild as far as threading fairways goes. And most ball golf courses aren't created like Augusta.

"Because you have this false belief right now that, in order for you to play golf well, you have to remember to do a lot of things. And I would say that, at this point, if you have actually learned anything, you have to forget more than you remember." --Dr Alan Nasypany

Some good stuff in that video above. A reminder that the swing/throw happens too fast to be controlled by the conscious mind.

As a decent athlete with poor results who evolved into a greater than average well-rounded thrower with flashes of brilliance, I realized the value of the 'mental game' early on - it's the entire purpose of the 'game'. It's how weak athletes, especially in a game like golf can win and consistently so.

It's a truism that children are introduced to sports to help them build 'the intangibles'. In other words, the explicit game is completely illusory, a distraction. The implicit game is where true value is discovered, as the 'real' target is you. Paradoxical that golf is the game that reveals character, not builds it...

Putting is the key to scoring. Putting's about completion, following through, commitment, and like the nature vs. nurture arguments, putting cannot ever be completely teased from the entire fabric of the game, which would be like playing spades and agreeing that no one ever takes any tricks. Putting ends a cyclical process.

It's funny to me, how the 'thoughts on the mental game' thread quickly devolves into technical tricks, techniques and the like. Our intrepid rationality cons us into believing that the world, our game and a myriad of other things in life are some math equation we solve to gain a desired result...it simply doesn't work like that...

My response to that would be: in general, disc golf fairways are much narrower than ball golf fairways. Obviously very course dependent, but you're not going to find an Idlewild-type equivalent in ball golf, to my knowledge.

This comment points out the starkest difference between the two games, which is one of scale. It's a bit surprising to me that many never consider that golf has the largest field and the smallest target, relatively speaking. There's a deeper reason for this than just resources...

Instead of putting this on one of the dedicated Scott Stokely threads I thought it might fit better here. This is definitely having your mental game together.

The irony is I'd probably pee my pants if I realized I'd stolen some 6'6" dude with knuckle tat's trailer but Scott would probably just sit me down and help me straighten my life out

Blows my mind that he can be so calm and composed about this. Given his lifestyle choices (i.e. nomadic life on the road, with no real "home base"), you could make a pretty good argument that this affects him more than it would pretty much any other player.

Much respect to Scott for having the mindset to judo flip the narrative.

The irony is I'd probably pee my pants if I realized I'd stolen some 6'6" dude with knuckle tat's trailer but Scott would probably just sit me down and help me straighten my life out

Scotts life is Far from straight. I think he's trying to do better now, but he's got a shit ton of bad karma to even up.

And I have a suspicion that it was repo'ed not stolen.

He lived here in Nashville for a while for free at Oggwood, then got the trailer before leaving having not made much of any money while he was here. Borrowing a friends studio to record his audio book and then not returning the payment.
The trailer was "stolen" shortly after that.

Having been stolen from multiple times over the years, there is never a "calm" and "collected" response to something like that getting stolen.

Just my 2 cents on it.
I"ve been around Scott in person and I've gotten a lot of stories from OG's and more recent interactions.
You wanna learn golf stuff, go ahead.
I'd not believe anything else the guy says.

Sheep's has a perspective I really hadn't considered.
Perhaps he's more in the know, than I.

Sheep's has a perspective I really hadn't considered.
Perhaps he's more in the know, than I.

I've spent a lot of time around pro golfers and my opinions are not always liked. Being part of a major event with pro players for 5 years in a row and interacting with a lot of them behind the scenes, you get a different side of them that people don't know about.

There are some real awesome dudes on tour, and there are some people who are.... special.

After my conversation with Scott, I put him in the Special category. Cause that was such a difficult conversation. (The dude has done so many drugs he... yeah, its .. yeah) I do, however, respect his abilities as a golfer. But knowing what I know for some other things, that's where it stops.

Latest posts