• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who needs shoes? :)

SSquirrel

Double Eagle Member
I was playing a quick round of 6 holes (the norm when I take both my girls w/me) and I decided that since only 1 hole even goes into the woods (150' or so tunnel), I just wore some flip flops and before I teed off took them off and tucked them in my bag. I put them back on before I had to go into the woods for hole 8, but walked barefoot the rest of the time.

Now I will admit to being lucky that the tee pads at Charlie Vettiner are nice and smooth. Other than being hot, they weren't rough on my feet at all. My girls both followed my lead too, it was kinda funny. Normally when I play disc golf I am wearing my Utilikilt and Vibram Five Fingers and probably my straw panama to keep the sun off my face, so this probably made for a pretty amusing picture, but even tho it was a beautiful day I only ran into 1 person on the course.

Now I wouldn't play the whole course that way. My feet aren't super tough b/c barefoot is not my norm and going into the woods after discs and dealing w/various gravel that has been added to the course (another big point on hole 8) isn't my idea of fun. But it was a fun change of pace for my short round w/the kids.

Oh yeah, didn't notice any difference in my throwing vs wearing my Vibrams really

I go barefoot all the time and have played barefoot rounds and do most of my practice in my yard barefoot. From that experience I can tell you that walking in the woods here in NC is actually the least of my concerns when walking barefoot. The grass has bees, ants and pricklies all up in it. I'm relieved when I get to the woods so I can stop worrying about where I step.

I go barefoot all the time and have played barefoot rounds and do most of my practice in my yard barefoot. From that experience I can tell you that walking in the woods here in NC is actually the least of my concerns when walking barefoot. The grass has bees, ants and pricklies all up in it. I'm relieved when I get to the woods so I can stop worrying about where I step.

I went to Camp Sea Gull over in Arapahoe NC for 8 years as a kid. I would be more worried about sand spurs and the like heh. I watch out for things like bees even when I have shoes on, so no real change there.

I love playing barefoot with sandals stuffed in the bag for emergencies. I'll wear Nike Frees or Vibram Ksos from time to time, but it's not the same. Anytime I shoot double digits under par-a monster score for me-I have always been barefoot. Gets me on my toes for drives, and I can drive further and more accurately. And putting is always much better sans shoes probably because when I practice in the yard I am barefoot (I've never practiced putting in shoes).

There is a person at my local course who plays barefoot all the time, grass, woods, etc... Personally, considering I've found used needles on the course, I think he's a nut.

vibrams.

best compromise. too much glass and **** to step on. you're never going to catch everything that could hurt your feet.

I guess it's an NC thing because I generally hate wearing shoes. I go barefoot at home and in the yard but I've seen enough broken glass at the courses here in the western piedmont to second guess a barefoot round.

I guess it's an NC thing because I generally hate wearing shoes. I go barefoot at home and in the yard but I've seen enough broken glass at the courses here in the western piedmont to second guess a barefoot round.

yea i grew up barefoot and when i lived at the beach the only pair of shoes i owned was sandals which were my "dress shoes." i honestly couldn't move to any part of the country that frowned on walking in a store barefoot.

I can see playing barefoot on some courses in nice, clean, well kept, grassy city parks like Ottawa Park, Firefighters, Sims, etc, (not that I would personally), but for the most part...
sane people need shoes
^this.

Just not worth the risk. Even without broken glass and other crap, stuff like twigs, acorn tops, pine cones and other natural fodder can be quite irregularly shaped with some nasty edges and sharps points. Plus that stuff can hide quite well in grass and dirt.

Last edited:
At my local course here in Knoxville , Morningside Park, you wouldn't want to go barefoot. Broken glass EVERYWHERE. totally sucks.

I don't think I'd ever seen any broken glass at Charlie Vettiner until my kids and I were there this week w/my oldest going barefoot. Her Lightning bag has a drawstring on the drink holder and she wasn't using it that day, so we put the broken glass in there so we could take it and throw it away

So who's going to start the new series on the Discovery Channel? Dual Disc Golfers! Have one guy wearing high tech golf clothing and Vibram boots throwing prodigy and the newest plastic out there and have the other guy barefoot with some hemp clothing and throwing some beat to hel1 plastic that you can't even identify.

So who's going to start the new series on the Discovery Channel? Dual Disc Golfers! Have one guy wearing high tech golf clothing and Vibram boots throwing prodigy and the newest plastic out there and have the other guy barefoot with some hemp clothing and throwing some beat to hel1 plastic that you can't even identify.

I would gladly participate in this. I would also be the guy with no shoes.

and as far as twigs and natural things go they don't hurt. But broken glass is like shiny razors on the ground.

anyone used xeroshoes?

I've wore sandals the last couple of rounds and have found I drag my toes on my right foot to much [especially when driving]:clap:. Crams them into the dirt to much. I have some Keen style sandals with a toe, I think I will try those next.

I was playing a quick round of 6 holes (the norm when I take both my girls w/me) and I decided that since only 1 hole even goes into the woods (150' or so tunnel), I just wore some flip flops and before I teed off took them off and tucked them in my bag. I put them back on before I had to go into the woods for hole 8, but walked barefoot the rest of the time.

Now I will admit to being lucky that the tee pads at Charlie Vettiner are nice and smooth. Other than being hot, they weren't rough on my feet at all. My girls both followed my lead too, it was kinda funny. Normally when I play disc golf I am wearing my Utilikilt and Vibram Five Fingers and probably my straw panama to keep the sun off my face, so this probably made for a pretty amusing picture, but even tho it was a beautiful day I only ran into 1 person on the course.

Now I wouldn't play the whole course that way. My feet aren't super tough b/c barefoot is not my norm and going into the woods after discs and dealing w/various gravel that has been added to the course (another big point on hole 8) isn't my idea of fun. But it was a fun change of pace for my short round w/the kids.

Oh yeah, didn't notice any difference in my throwing vs wearing my Vibrams really
My buddy and I found a crack pipe on one of our local courses (it was an empty pen tube attached to a broken light bulb...) so I won't be doing this any time soon.

I did the sandals barefoot thing a lot. It's alright on a park course, but if it's a wooded course it can be treacherous. I went out in sandals the other day to try out a new course here in town that is basically in a flat field. I got two holes in before I realized that the whole field is just one giant sticker patch. It was a hell of a walk back to the car. It was a painful day.

Latest posts