• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley goes to Oregon 2024

Just curious why Whistler's isn't what it used to be? Or more precisely why? was there a redesign on some of the holes for some reason? I hadn't ever really researched it before the last 6 months or so.

Taloali and Serene both look incredible. Ideally I'd like to play both of these. That's good to hear that they're open most of the time. Those will be two that I'll have to figure out when it gets closer.

Always great to get the perspective of another course bagger too (y) I'll have probably hit 1000 just before this trip. My wife will most likely hit 1000 in Oregon though as she's about 20 behind me. I'm kind of jealous.
Whistler was 18 holes for many years and I enjoyed every hole. Some very challenging 3 pars at about 500 feet. It still offers one of the most epic top of the world shots ever. The Umpqua River beckons for your disc on 2 holes. They took a few holes out for a campground, holes I enjoyed, then added more to make it 27. Most of the new holes just don't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, Whistler is still a great course, but I rarely make the 2 hour drive anymore. We have more fun at Taloali, Serene, Dallas, Dexter, and Twisted Pines. And, if you can get to Paradise in Creswell, do it. It's a fun and unique course, though private. I know the owners very well. I could put in a good word for you. I'll just have to trust you, since I never met you, but I'm confident that you'll take good care of the property. Yeah, don't miss it, if you can squeeze it in. Also, about 12 miles south of Creswell, Cottage Grove offers a fun, challenging course. A little warning to you is that lots of people (like me) are quite affected by seasonal allergies from the prominent grass seed in the area, which usually peaks in June. It can get bad, but usually Claritin and washing it off before bed will help a lot. Hopefully this won't affect you or Mrs. Wolf Haley. Me, I routinely get out of the area in June and go to work at courses in other states.

Ok, so we got everything booked now so I'll throw this one out there too. We're flying to Oregon on 6/9 out of Minneapolis.

Looks like a great trip. We'll be driving out, hitting a few courses on the way and a few in between the Portland Open and BSF, then probably playing a few on the way home. I'll be cribbing a few courses off of your itinerary for the week between.

Anyone have any ideas for a fly-ing double (flyfishing and DG) within a few hours of Portland?

Looks like a great trip. We'll be driving out, hitting a few courses on the way and a few in between the Portland Open and BSF, then probably playing a few on the way home. I'll be cribbing a few courses off of your itinerary for the week between.

Anyone have any ideas for a fly-ing double (flyfishing and DG) within a few hours of Portland?
Bend is about 3 1/2 hrs from Portland. I met my brother in law there last fall and he is a huge fly fisherman, he loved it there for the fishing. I didn't fish, I golfed, lol. Others may know of some good places closer to Portland.

We'll be starting early for sure. Not sure what a "lunch" is though. Never heard of that before ;)

Seriously though, we don't pack lunch ever. We'll eat some breakfast beforehand, and I may pick up some Cliff bars for the wife for "lunch" as we're playing or driving. Other than that we just play all day and eat after.
For the life of me I don't know how you manage this! Now that I have a smart watch I have data to back up what I've always known - I burn a ton of calories playing disc golf all day - easily 1200 and sometimes closer to 2000. I am eating constantly or I start to get hangry :)

I will be in Oregon in late July - family vacation so it's only hitting a few courses early in the morning, but hopefully will be hitting Riverbend and Whistler's Bend along with a few others. Your trip looks amazing and ambitious. I'll play all day but only for about 4 days in a row. Best of luck!

[COLOR=var(--text-lighter)]I'll play all day but only for about 4 days in a row. Best of luck![/COLOR]

Day 4 I'm usually past being sore. Or just used to it 😉

We played 40 in about the same time frame on our Charlotte trip last year, probably around 30 or so on our Iowa trip and at least 25 I'd guess on the STL one. It should help that I've played WAAAAY more this winter than any other too.

Day 4 I'm usually past being sore. Or just used to it 😉

We played 40 in about the same time frame on our Charlotte trip last year, probably around 30 or so on our Iowa trip and at least 25 I'd guess on the STL one. It should help that I've played WAAAAY more this winter than any other too.
Yeah, that is seriously impressive. I came up your way (sorta) last weekend and virtually hadn't played in 3-4 months; I'm impressed I made it as far as I did, but it was only a day and a half. Justin Trails BB really took it out of me but I made it! I think it might be the most physically taxing course I've played.

Yeah Big Bro is an ass kicker. This is a great time of year to play it though. We played it with a group of 7 last July for the DGCR meetup. Definitely the longest round I've ever played. Then the classic course right after. 🥵

Yeah Big Bro is an ass kicker. This is a great time of year to play it though. We played it with a group of 7 last July for the DGCR meetup. Definitely the longest round I've ever played. Then the classic course right after. 🥵
You guys seemed to handle it alright. I was so gassed after BB that I was ready to collapse. Thankfully found a 2nd wind at lunch and classic isn't even half the hike of BB. Playing 2 rounds at Wilderness the day before didn't help my cause.

Bend is about 3 1/2 hrs from Portland. I met my brother in law there last fall and he is a huge fly fisherman, he loved it there for the fishing. I didn't fish, I golfed, lol. Others may know of some good places closer to Portland.
With all due respect to the fly fishing ... there are 2 big reasons to visit Bend,
Visit the LAST Blockbuster on earth! :LOL:
Check in with the Doss' at Bevel Craft Brewing!! 🍻

Oh yea, and the DG Courses there.

With all due respect to the fly fishing ... there are 2 big reasons to visit Bend,

We went in to Bevel Craft on a Thursday afternoon and they had the MVP Open going live on the TV's. It's a great Brewery, they have a small putting course out back, good beer, big selection of discs for sale, and 4 excellent food trucks. **Get the white cheese Mac-and-cheese topped with pulled pork! Nate and Val were't around, I think they just had a baby or something.

is the blockbuster still operating

i saw an old deserted one somewhere in ohio a year or two ago when i was traveling thru (cant remember the city at all)

is the blockbuster still operating

i saw an old deserted one somewhere in ohio a year or two ago when i was traveling thru (cant remember the city at all)
Their website looks up to date, but the last thing they posted was May-22.
I thought I had heard on the news a while back that it was turned into an AirBnB or similar, with all the movies you care to watch!!

That one in Ohio you saw must have been the one from South Park, oh wait, they are in Colorado. :LOL:

Latest posts