• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rocky Mount, VA

Experience: 20.1 years 610 played 554 reviews
1.00 star(s)

Waid in

Reviewed: Played on:Feb 18, 2024 Played the course:once

Pros:

As well maintained as this course on the outskirts of a small town is, if Waid Park's Beginner course is this well maintained, the Pro layout must really be good.
- Due to a time crunch, I only played the beginner layout here. I might be the only person who intentionally drove out of their way to play a course here, and that course be the beginner layout.
- It's a pleasant, simple, pitch-n-putt course. Very scenic. Very natural feel. Very calming 15-minute round.
- This is close to a perfect beginner friendly course. Lots of easy and only slightly challenging layouts. Even beginners are going to be getting plenty of 3s and maybe a birdie or 2 on this layout.
- You can easily play here with a lone disc, possibly only needing more distance on #8 & 9. Otherwise, leave the entire bag in the car.
- An ego boost either before or after the pro layout.
- If you approach the park from the west, you get to experience some crazy hills. Drive from Ferrum College, I got to go up and down a mountain with some sharp switchbacks. Fun indeed.
- Overall, an outstanding park. This place is huge. I now see why zero efforts were given to restoring Sontag Park after the tornado a decade ago. Give the area a better park here.

Cons:

This is a simple, somewhat lazy layout. On top of that, some holes play over and/or too close to a walking trail.
- For a short, simple layout, it would be nice to have an arrow or two pointing to the next holes. After #4, the natural flow leads you to #9's tee. Just point us in the right direction, letting us know we must walk around a bend, instead of the path directly from #4 to 9.
- There is plenty of room to add a little more variety to this course. I mean, I get it. But still. Don't dumb it down that much.
- On the course itself, zero benches or trash cans. You just need to walk back to the parking lot.
- On a late February day when I played, there were portions of the course that were still extremely wet and muddy a week after it rained. Had to approach my disc carefully as to stay clean myself.

This course gets bonus points for being associated with the pro layout. Need further proof, just look at this course's ratings on UDisc. A whole lot of 5.0s on there for 1400-foot layout.
- #4 is a fun, sharp dogleg to a hanging basket. Very good layout. But, my favorite, and most scenic hole on the course is #5. I love the look and feel of this simple hole. Simple happiness.
- #8 is the best hole in terms of challenge. Dogleg right close to a creek to a slightly uphill basket. The best shot I had here left me with a 10-foot birdie putt. Only hole I felt I had to legitimately earn a birdie.
- Course starts and ends right next to the parking lot.
- Get humbled on the pro layout. Feel better about yourself here.