PDA

View Full Version : Junipero Serra County Park, San Bruno California

Peterb
12-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm very pleased to announce that the San Mateo County Rec and Park Dept. has asked me to submit a draft design and course proposal for this lovely park just 20 minutes south of San Francisco.

The park has some sweet terrain, excellent views of the airport and the bay, outfitted already with bathrooms, potable water, picnic/bbq areas, and a pimp children's playground that will keep your toddlers happy while you rip chains.

If all goes well, the course will be a nice challenge for most players and a blast for even top pros. Judging from the time I've spent there, I think 18 holes will do with many lefts, rights, ups, downs, as well as tight and open. Lots of contrast is possible, and multiple pin positions will be included in the design.

Timetable:
- submit draft and proposal: Jan 10

After that, the ball is in the county's court. They will likely do some public outreach which could slow the course's development. If the neighbors are cool with it, then apparently we will get fast tracked and can get to building sooner than later!

Cnote
12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Awesome!!

elevated plastic
12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
good to hear... one more course to hit when I make my bi-monthly migration down the hill.

DutchViking
12-03-2009, 02:47 AM
Thats fantastic! I can't wait to play there, as well as all the other bay area courses that appear to be on the horizon.

djjeremiahj
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I live in SF, so props to a peninsula course!

As an idea, maybe to help course design, or even an eye opener for the park officials, maybe you could organize a Safari Tournament.

I know the SF DGG community could find 18 pins and would really rally behind something new.

It could also be used to help raise funds if you got permission to go so far.
$50 x 100 people = $5000.

JTacoma03
01-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Sounds great, I'd definitely come down from the City to play that. Especially when GGP is crowded...

EDIT:

This is NOT the same as McLaren park proposal right? THis is a totally seperate course? (I'm new to SF still)

Peterb
02-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Totally different park. I met with the parks director today, and we're moving forward on this. It looks like we may begin course installation as soon as April. Stay tuned...

DutchViking
02-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Can't wait!!!

Peterb
02-11-2010, 11:49 PM
What's crazy is that there's this huge ugly statue of junipero serra along 280 just south of the park that bears his name. He was a franciscan friar who helped the spanish establish all of the california missions back in the 1700s...

But in this rendition...he looks like he's on one knee making a putt.

we have to use this in a disc design (http://joeorman.shutterace.com/Bizarre/bizarre_serra.jpg)

Apothecary
02-11-2010, 11:52 PM
"make your putt or incurr my wrath" serra:

http://joeorman.shutterace.com/Bizarre/bizarre_serra.jpg

and his brother, touchdown jesus:

http://surfinfoco.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/touchdown-jesus.jpg

Peterb
02-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Other angles: perfect stance on his kneel putt

http://www.santacruzpl.org/media/img/site/factfile/SerraphpOaRTgUPM.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/443338311_ed23ffcb3e.jpg

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/ca/CAHILserra_0720.jpg

Apothecary
02-12-2010, 01:05 AM
he looks like yogurt from spaceballs. :\

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/3790517341_e9f216cc2f.jpg

bneely
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
http://imgur.com/H9MnP.jpg

Apothecary
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM

lol...THUG LIFE!

Peterb
02-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Who knew that father Junipero Serra was an anny putter.

BENFTS
02-15-2010, 02:11 AM
after playing the pesacdero events with you peter i can only imagine what you will do with this new course.

bneely
02-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Who knew that father Junipero Serra was an anny putter.

He did his disc golf apprenticeship under Nate Doss, apparently.

djjeremiahj
03-01-2010, 12:36 AM
update...
talking to the pros/"hip" discers @ the GG park suggest that the the reality of this park is very high.

They set up a safari and had great success in determining pin positions, tee pads and overall lay out... (and the park is warm to the idea still!)
a lot of "epic" lines and "crazy shots"... <- as they say!

The locals suggest there is a safari tournamaent scheduled for late summer/early fall....

Peterb
03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
after playing the pesacdero events with you peter i can only imagine what you will do with this new course.

Well Pescadero is a much different piece of land. Junipero will be a very fun, challenging 18...but it won't have 1000 foot shots nor the elevation changes that Pescadero has. Pescadero is something to work towards. Junipero Serra will be an accessible 18 hole course that will be a nice entry for the county park system. After we're successful at JSCP, then we can try to get Pescadero.

JSCP will have a lot of really good shots, a nice flow to the design, trees, views, elevation, and I'm sure there'll be some wind. The course will pass by three separate restrooms, water will be available in many spots, and the picnic areas are ubiquitous. There's also a great kids playground so that mama and jr can hang out while you shoot.

Peterb
03-01-2010, 07:00 PM
update...
talking to the pros/"hip" discers @ the GG park suggest that the the reality of this park is very high.

They set up a safari and had great success in determining pin positions, tee pads and overall lay out... (and the park is warm to the idea still!)
a lot of "epic" lines and "crazy shots"... <- as they say!

The locals suggest there is a safari tournamaent scheduled for late summer/early fall....

Nobody I've heard of has set up a safari layout there. But we do have a design and are moving forward with the process, along with the county park system. If we can get the course in by July, we may have the Safari tournament there (along with GGP of course). Maybe the pros play Junipero on Saturday and GGP on sunday and the Ams will have their own deal.

joegraham
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Sweet! Can't wait! Keep us informed.

Peterb
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Sweet! Can't wait! Keep us informed.

How's this for keeping you informed?

:)

JTacoma03
03-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm glad to hear progress is being made. Keep us posted on work days or help you need, I'll come out and get my hands dirty if I can mesh it with the school schedule!

JboySF415
03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
That's great stuff PeterB. A new course in the peninsula is exciting! GGPark is an awesome course, but it can get really backed up on the weekends.

djjeremiahj
03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
bump

i've heard this course is getting close and with luck will be set by june(ish)

great progress PB.

can you work your magic @ McClaren Park too?

bneely
03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
can you work your magic @ McClaren Park too?

Just got this email from Jeffery Bowling :

"Hi everyone,

Well we have exciting news about the McLaren Disc Golf course. San Francisco Parks & Rec Department & the San Francisco Disc Golf Club have agreed upon a preliminary layout for the McLaren Park Disc Golf Course. This is an amazing layout that includes a full 18 hole course with a wonderful variety of holes. There are a few wide open 500+ foot holes, a few tight and technical holes, lots of elevation changes and great views of San Francisco. This is a course that will challenge even the best players and is sure to become one of the premiere courses in the bay area.

Before we can move on to drafting an MOU with the city and start the actual construction of the course, we need to present the layout to the community. There is a general misunderstanding of disc golf in the community surrounding McLaren Park and thus there is a small but vocal opposition to the construction of the McLaren Disc Golf Course. Therefore these meetings will be very important to demonstrate to the city that there is a strong demand for disc golf in San Francisco. Up to this point, they have only been hearing opposition to the course. I have done my best to convince them that there are hundreds of disc golfers that are very excited to see the McLaren course completed. Now is the time to prove this to them.

April 10th 1pm at the parking lot of the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater in McLaren Park: Course Walkthrough - We will have a walkthrough in McLaren Park of the purposed layout. This is a great chance to come out and see the planned course layout. But also, this is a meeting that will be attend by many members of the community who are opposed to the course and thus we need to have a large contingency of people who are excited by the layout.

April 20th 6:30-8pm at Crocker-Amazon Clubhouse (In McLaren Park near the corner of Italy & Moscow): Community Meeting - This is the big meeting. This is a meeting to discuss Disc Golf in McLaren Park. I will give a presentation about Disc Golf in San Francisco and the course in McLaren park. We will then hear from the community about reaction to the purposed plan. It is important that the Parks Department hear many more positive responses than negative ones. Thus it is extremely important for the future of disc golf not just in McLaren Park but in all of San Francisco, that there are a huge number of disc golfers at this meeting. If you play disc golf in San Francisco, this meeting is a must attend event.

Since it is so important to have a big attendance to these meetings, it is critical for us to have an idea of who plans to attend. Please take a few minutes to answer the survey below. (Only 5 questions) Also please forward this to anyone you know who plays Disc Golf.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XZGCLLX

We will also be doing phone trees before the events to remind members to attend. If you can help make 10 calls in the days leading up to each of these meetings, please let me know and I will add you to my list.

Assuming we get an excellent turnout at both of these events, I believe we will be starting construction on McLaren Park by the end of the summer.

Extremely excited,
Jeffery Bowling
SFDGC"

Apothecary
03-31-2010, 03:45 PM
damn...that sounds hot.

/me envisions a dg road trip in the near future.

but a meeting in SF on 4/20? i predict many a 6' subway sandwich will be worked on, but not much else will get done.:|

Peterb
03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I started a new thread on Mclaren.

As for JSCP:
- stick and I are presenting the idea to the park commission tomorrow evening. After that, we'll need to do some community meetings (where we'll need some golfers to show up) and then a final presentation to the board of supervisors.

- we're not expecting too much opposition. The park director loves us and disc golf...but you never know which NIMBYS will show up.

- Due to all of this, construction probably won't start until late summer.

Stay tuned!

Peterb
04-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Phase 1 complete. The Park Commission has decided to let disc golf go through to the next phase: community meetings, and then a final proposal to the board of supervisors to allow an 18 month trial period at Junipero. More to come shortly!

DareBare420
04-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Any updates about this course?

djjeremiahj
07-05-2010, 08:54 PM
updates?
i thought this was to be opened in the early part of June...

mckeeius
08-19-2010, 06:34 PM
I have been waiting and googling this course every few weeks, and it has been a total bummer because there is never any updates or news about it, however today was different.

There will be a public hearing for this course on August 26th. Check the San Mateo County Parks website for more info here is the link:
http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/parks/menuitem.f13bead76123ee4482439054d17332a0/?vgnextoid=28a9d23e0bc7a210VgnVCM1000001937230aRCR D&cpsextcurrchannel=1

I can get psyched again. Spread the word people.

stick
08-22-2010, 08:06 PM
We've been waiting on the parks dept. Who thought we would have a course by july 4th. We haven't been posting much because we don't want the opposition to the SF courses to have any ammo against Mclaren, since this couse has nothing to do with the San Francisco parks dept. And Peter and I live in San Mateo County and not the city. We also want to keep the community meetings small and unimposing, so the local community doesn't feel overwhelmed. Things are moving forward. We don't need many disc golfers at our 1st upcoming meeting, but we will when we go before the county board.

Peterb
08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
We had our communty meeting last night. The neighbors were concerned, but seem to be open minded. We'll walk them through the course tomorrow at 10am. All are welcome to attend this design tour, but keep in mind that we are ambassadors for the sport and that the tour is primarily for the neighbors. Hope to see some of you!

Peterb
08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
The tour went well. It alleviated a lot of valid concerns (e.g. "will discs come into my property?"). Its always hard to tell from a map how something actually is in reality. Next steps will not occur until the fall. Sorry for the wait everyone...public process takes time. But it will be worth it!

Peterb
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
not sure if many of you are following the news but last night there was a massive natural gas main break and the ensuing explosion and fire killed at least 6 people, destroyed over 50 homes, and seriously injured dozens more all in the city of San Bruno, less than a mile from Junipero Serra Park:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39089768/ns/us_news/

At some point soon, I'd like to have a fundraiser tournament at the park with 100% of the proceeds going towards the neighborhood and the people who were affected most.

remy
10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Looking forward to the installation of the course in this area. Also offering my services if needed, I am a Certified Arborist who routinely writes tree protection plans for construction sites. I have all my own climbing gear and the know how to tackle tree issues if they do arise. Looking forward to a course here on the peninsula :)

Peterb
10-05-2010, 02:46 PM
cool remy! We look forward to your help and interest once (if) things get rolling at JSCP. I live in Redwood City by the way...and this course is not the only park we're interested in building.

mckeeius
10-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Does anyone have a sense of when this course will actually be installed and open to the public??? Peter or Stick?

Peterb
10-17-2010, 04:34 PM
The park system opened public comments for 45 days, which ended on Sept 30th. They will then let us know how to proceed. Bottom line from what I know is that we'll have to have a public meeting to get it approved by the county board of supervisors.

mckeeius
11-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Any new word on this project, anything at all??

Jahilbert
11-23-2010, 02:40 AM
Any word on the course?

uofc2003
11-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I looked at the parks commission meeting minutes from 9/16/10...

"Superintendent Lockman said a public meeting had been held in San Bruno to review a proposal for a Disc Golf Course at Junipero Serra Park. He noted that Commissioners Enriquez and Pincus had attended the public meeting. He said staff would review all of the comments and refine the plan and bring it to another public meeting for consideration."

"Commissioner Pincus said he had gone to Junipero Serra Park to see the proposed Disc Golf Course which he had found fascinating. He said he chatted with some residents who indicated that they were considering not signing the petition being circulated against the proposed project. He said at the public meeting there had been such vocal opposition that he felt he needed to see what the proposal would entail at the Park. Superintendent Lockman noted that a number of issues raised were Park related issues and not issues with disc golf per se."

"Commissioner Enriquez said he had attended the public meeting in San Bruno and that the homeowners were not in agreement with putting disc golf at Junipero Serra Park. He said the homeowners suggested that the course should be located on school grounds. He said there were concerns about safety, liability, degradation of the environment, impacting the aesthetics of the park and the view."

"Commissioner Pincus said that disc golf was meant to be played in the rough and not on greens so it would not be suitable on a school playing field. He said it appeared that disc golf was a sport that families could enjoy together."

"Superintendent Lockman said the Department would review all the comments received and expect to have another public meeting in about a month and half."

There's nothing on the commission agenda about disc golf for their december meeting, and I don't see any notices on the web site about another public meeting. With meetings every other month, the commission works at its own pace.

Peterb
11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
There's nothing new at the moment, though we should soon hear what the next steps are. The park commission already voted to go forward with this project, but that only means that they set in motion the process to hold public meetings and get feedback from the public. The course can not be installed without going before the board of supervisors (which is different from the parks commission). But you are free to show up at the parks commission and get your 2 minutes to orally communicate your support for the course. Keep in mind that you will be on public record.

Peterb
02-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the parks department finally got back to us and let us know that they are postponing any further action on course development for a least a year. The reason is that they have 30% budget cuts and the neighbors around the park complained vigorously. They do not want controversy but unfortunately this decision is unacceptable to us. We must now campaign to get what we want and to do that we need to get every DGer in San Mateo County and beyond to help us in our quest. Please join this facebook group if you haven't already for more: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108428739554

Peterb
02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
For those of you who aren't on Facebook but would like to help us in our quest to get a bona fide disc golf course in San Mateo county, Please email our parks commission at this email address:

parkscommission@co.sanmateo.ca.us

---------THIS IS A SAMPLE LETTER BELOW-----------------------

Dear San Mateo County Park Commission

I urge you to continue the process of building a disc golf course at Junipero Serra County Park. The parks department conducted two public meetings last August and submitted a negative declaration with a comment period which ended in September. Now, they have decided to postpone the project for at least one year. It is time to move forward as it has been in the official process for almost two years. The people of San Mateo County deserve to have this inexpensive, healthy, and fun recreational activity available in an otherwise underutilized park.

The course won’t cost the county a single cent to develop: funding will come from private donations. The parks department conservatively estimates that the course will generate approximately $45,000 a year in parking revenue. The amount of pure recreational joy it will bring to the lives of people young and old is priceless.

Please move this process forward and take it out of the “holding pattern”.

Sincerely,

Your Name.
Your City.

Peterb
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
We are now meeting with the parks department next tuesday, and the topic will be how to move forward with the project. The emails seem to be working. Keep 'em coming

Peterb
03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
The parks department is now moving forward with us on this project. We are gunning for a first class course similar in style to golden gate park in terms of the retaining walls and signage. Before anything gets going, we need to conduct several studies at the park and do a redesign that will be more friendly to the environment and to people with knee problems (the old design had significant elevation changes, the redesign will be more cross hill).

timothyasteele
03-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Congrats Peter!!! I know you've been leaning on them to make it happen...

Wish me luck for this Wednesday, and hoping we can get together sometime in the next month or two.

Tim S.

mashnut
03-07-2011, 07:08 AM
The parks department is now moving forward with us on this project. We are gunning for a first class course similar in style to golden gate park in terms of the retaining walls and signage. Before anything gets going, we need to conduct several studies at the park and do a redesign that will be more friendly to the environment and to people with knee problems (the old design had significant elevation changes, the redesign will be more cross hill).

One thing to consider is that walking on side hills with one foot lower than the other is often even worse on ankles and knees than walking up or down.

Peterb
03-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Congrats Peter!!! I know you've been leaning on them to make it happen...

Wish me luck for this Wednesday, and hoping we can get together sometime in the next month or two.

Tim S.

yeah brother...good luck up there in Benicia! I've been super busy, as usual...hope to get to see your layout before you need to commit to it.

Peterb
03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
One thing to consider is that walking on side hills with one foot lower than the other is often even worse on ankles and knees than walking up or down.

True. We're planning on creating singletrack trails from tee to the pin which will hopefully provide a relatively flat surface for a nice walk. Any thoughts on that?

mashnut
03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
That helps quite a bit on those walks, but when you have a fairway that follows the contour of the hill rather than going up or down, it's pretty difficult to avoid walking on the side hill.

Peterb
03-29-2011, 09:14 PM
So we're on the park commission agenda for April 7th, 4pm Board of Supervisors Chambers, Hall of Justice, 400 County Center, Redwood City, CA 94063!!!

Come on out of the woodwork and support our quest to build a course in San Mateo County!!!

Davilan3k
09-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Peter,

Any updates on the course?

boston93430
03-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I have taken this project on from Peter, although I am in contact with him constantly for his input and expertise. I live in San Bruno an am trying to get the local community involved, I will post updates here as soon as I get more updates.

jimbosprint
03-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Thank you!

karyhead
03-07-2014, 01:32 AM
I live in South City and got really excited to see this thread until I realized it was a few years old. Be happy to help if I can.

boston93430
03-12-2014, 07:38 PM
I live in South City and got really excited to see this thread until I realized it was a few years old. Be happy to help if I can.

Are you on the Peninsula Disc Golf Club page?

karyhead
03-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Are you on the Peninsula Disc Golf Club page?
I'm not. Google's not turning anything up. Where can I find it?

karyhead
03-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm not. Google's not turning anything up. Where can I find it?
Found this https://www.facebook.com/groups/108428739554/ and joined it

boston93430
03-18-2014, 01:47 AM
Found this https://www.facebook.com/groups/108428739554/ and joined it

perfect you found it, i will update it as things happen