Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > joshhyzer

Conversation Between joshhyzer and Jukeshoe
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 9 of 9
  1. joshhyzer
    02-02-2020 03:04 PM
    joshhyzer
    I just used whatever bagged cucumbers Publix had. Not sure on the type.

Used up all my jars on green beans, asparagus, and cucumbers. Once I free up a couple jars, I'll be trying out some eggs.
  2. Jukeshoe
    02-02-2020 08:34 AM
    Jukeshoe
    I don't pre-salt.

Which type(s) of cucumber(s) are you using? I've done several different types and it really makes a difference. National Pickling variety is what I used this year. Not only did I get a bumper crop, but they're the right size/crispness (if picked and processed promptly) for pickling.

Other variety cukes I've used have turned out with varying results, none of which were as good as this year's batch of National Pickling cukes.

Hope that helps.

Did you pickle them eggs?
  3. joshhyzer
    02-01-2020 11:29 PM
    joshhyzer
    Do you salt your cucumbers before you put them in the brine? I love pickles, but hate cucumbers and everything I've tried still has a cucumber background.
  4. Jukeshoe
    01-24-2020 06:01 PM
    Jukeshoe
    I tried several different recipes this year. All pretty standard stuff. IIRC towards end of season ended up going more with apple cider vinegar over white.

Typical brine: 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, 2 Tbsp pickling salt, 1 Tbsp sugar, several large heads of home-grown dill, 4 cloves garlic, 2 tsp mustard seed.

Riff on that ad nauseam. Sometimes I'd throw in a random hot pepper (like halbenero) for a bit of spice. Tried jalepenos but they added too much acidity and assy-taste-ness.
  5. joshhyzer
    01-24-2020 05:01 PM
    joshhyzer
    Gonna do a cold ferment pickle this weekend and thought I'd give some eggs a try, too. What's your cuke brine?
  6. Jukeshoe
    01-24-2020 04:44 PM
    Jukeshoe
    Nope. I don't even think I've eaten a pickled egg.

Tons of cukes and occasionally something like beets or whatever.

The pickles I made this summer/fall mellowed so nicely, I've really been enjoying them lately!
  7. joshhyzer
    01-24-2020 04:28 PM
    joshhyzer
    Do you pickle eggs?
  8. Jukeshoe
    12-01-2015 07:16 PM
    Jukeshoe
    Damn, bro, gotta give warning when you're linkin' NSFW stuff like that! :droolz:
  9. joshhyzer
    12-01-2015 01:42 PM
    joshhyzer
    Hope you enjoy as much as I do:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sandwiches/?