Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Thunderbird (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108147)

elmexdela 10-21-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird888 (Post 2604327)
When I talked to Eric at the factory store about it (asked initially about my opaque pearly FS Cheetah - which he assured me was JL), he said their current Champ plastic is JL regardless of whether the disc is crystal clear or cloudy. He also said that the "JL" clarity is the result of a lot of factors that some times just don't happen. It was a pretty interesting conversation.

Consider the recent Polecats. In order to make max weights, they had to add a weighting agent to the plastic. That's why the lighter weights are clear, but the heavies aren't. This doesn't even get into the pearly streaks in the BSF MD2s I have or the JL PDs I have that don't have completely transparent rims to match their flightplates.

I have some of those Firebirds, and they are indeed incredibly firm. They don't seem any firmer to me than a lot of new Champ stuff I've gotten though.

Are they Champ plastic?

i got a really firm champ sw direct from the factory store that was jolly launcher but indeed stiff

tbird888 10-21-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 2604334)
i got a really firm champ sw direct from the factory store that was jolly launcher but indeed stiff

I kept hearing how grippy and gummy JL is, but almost every disc I've gotten from the Factory Store or felt in stores has been the exact opposite.

The MD2s were a little less slick than most, and the Cheetah was actually softer and fairly grippy but opaque. It reminds me of last year's Opto, crystal clear but no grip until after several rounds.

Horsman 10-21-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird888 (Post 2604337)
I kept hearing how grippy and gummy JL is, but almost every disc I've gotten from the Factory Store or felt in stores has been the exact opposite.

The MD2s were a little less slick than most, and the Cheetah was actually softer and fairly grippy but opaque. It reminds me of last year's Opto, crystal clear but no grip until after several rounds.

Yea, and the JL Circle Eagles were pretty darn stiff. I think it just depends cuz terns and roc3's are too stiff, but no where as close as stock opto to how not stiff the plastic is.

elmexdela 10-21-2014 05:40 PM

yeah i wasnt sure at first if it was JL when i first got it but it was. slick and stiff.

by the way for anyone wondering the current run of SW from the factory store was dead straight with a decent fade at the end. they are the most stable yet ive thrown. i even tamed some headwinds with it

tbird888 10-21-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsman (Post 2604340)
Yea, and the JL Circle Eagles were pretty darn stiff. I think it just depends cuz terns and roc3's are too stiff, but no where as close as stock opto to how not stiff the plastic is.

I never really thought of the Roc3s as being super stiff. Admittedly I only have one from an event this year, but I liked the flex of them. The flightplates are (for me) perfectly firm, but the thinner rim allows them to still flex fairly well. As much as people argued that they aren't, I still think the Totem TeeBirds were some of the first JL, and those things are incredibly stiff.

Are you saying Opto isn't stiff or JL isn't? I have Rivers in newer Opto that hurt my hands from being so firm. The first runs of opaque bubblegum Opto Pures actually feel pretty great though. Nicely pliable with a decent grip, and they season to sheer awesomeness!

Horsman 10-21-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird888 (Post 2604354)
I never really thought of the Roc3s as being super stiff. Admittedly I only have one from an event this year, but I liked the flex of them. The flightplates are (for me) perfectly firm, but the thinner rim allows them to still flex fairly well. As much as people argued that they aren't, I still think the Totem TeeBirds were some of the first JL, and those things are incredibly stiff.

Are you saying Opto isn't stiff or JL isn't? I have Rivers in newer Opto that hurt my hands from being so firm. The first runs of opaque bubblegum Opto Pures actually feel pretty great though. Nicely pliable with a decent grip, and they season to sheer awesomeness!

Opto isnt stiff is what I was trying to say. I havent felt a firm opto yet. But yea those TB's were stiff as crap as well.

BirdieMachine 10-23-2014 07:50 AM

Nothing beats Prodiscus Premium currently. It's stiff enough but very grippy. Maybe they just pay more for better plastic pellets? I got a Jokeri and Laseri that are just perfect plastic wise. I do have a DD Suspect though that is pretty awesome, close but not quite. The JL's are nice but not AS nice. Less grip.

It saddens me that Prodiscus isn't widely available and they don't have more molds.

dekdo 10-23-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdieMachine (Post 2605651)
Nothing beats Prodiscus Premium currently. It's stiff enough but very grippy. Maybe they just pay more for better plastic pellets? I got a Jokeri and Laseri that are just perfect plastic wise. I do have a DD Suspect though that is pretty awesome, close but not quite. The JL's are nice but not AS nice. Less grip.

It saddens me that Prodiscus isn't widely available and they don't have more molds.

Have you tried prodigy's 750 plastic yet?

1978 10-23-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1978 (Post 2604314)
Not sure about this, you might be right but the Jolly Launcher stuff seems different. Im not sure every disc is molded with it. Those FAF firebirds way flatter and harder than any other champ discs in other molds.

What a waste of a 3000'th post.

tbird888 10-23-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1978 (Post 2605867)
What a waste of a 3000'th post.

You want to talk about a waste. This was my 100th course played. It finished Cincy for me though.