Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tournaments & Leagues (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   State Tournament Schedules (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135390)

ru4por 11-19-2019 01:04 PM

State Tournament Schedules
 
I was hoping for some feedback.

How do various states handle tournament scheduling? Both sanctioned and non sanctioned.

Do State Coordinator duties vary from state to state?

For those that have some kind of State Championship, how is this handled. Are there berths assigned, given or won? Is it open sign up?

DavidSauls 11-19-2019 01:11 PM

I can only speak for my state of South Carolina.

We have an excellent state coordinator, who works hard to work out the schedule with TDs. He'll create a calendar with big events (A-tier & above) in and near the state, and traditional dates for state events, and distribute it to TDs. TDs will confirm dates or changes. If there are conflicts, he works hard to work them out---a tough job with an increasingly crowded calendar.

He also coordinates with the SCs of neighboring states, to minimize conflicts. And he'll put non-sanctioned events on the working calendar, as an advisory (since he has less say-so in them).

DavidSauls 11-19-2019 01:12 PM

….South Carolina has no state championship, so our SC doesn't have to deal with that.

biscoe 11-19-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3521362)
I can only speak for my state of South Carolina.

We have an excellent state coordinator, who works hard to work out the schedule with TDs. He'll create a calendar with big events (A-tier & above) in and near the state, and traditional dates for state events, and distribute it to TDs. TDs will confirm dates or changes. If there are conflicts, he works hard to work them out---a tough job with an increasingly crowded calendar.

He also coordinates with the SCs of neighboring states, to minimize conflicts. And he'll put non-sanctioned events on the working calendar, as an advisory (since he has less say-so in them).

pretty much this... no state championship here either.

Innova63 11-19-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3521359)
I was hoping for some feedback.

How do various states handle tournament scheduling? Both sanctioned and non sanctioned.

Do State Coordinator duties vary from state to state?

For those that have some kind of State Championship, how is this handled. Are there berths assigned, given or won? Is it open sign up?

Here in Wisconsin, we have been beyond fortunate.

Back when I started ('85 or so) "Duster" Don Hoffman (more so his wife Terre) was the central point for scheduling. When Duster stepped aside Terry (before he was "The DGGuy" ) Miller was voted in as state coordinator and really handled the "explosion" of events in the state. Terry has stepped aside and Mike Harrington (harr0140 on DGCR) has been voted in as state coordinator and is setting up the schedule now. We have a state board (WDSDA) that I believe assists in this as well.

krupicka 11-19-2019 04:27 PM

Indiana collected requests via a Google form and had a meeting where the SC worked with the TDs who want to run events (happened last Sunday).

In Illinois, I'm busy collecting requests from TDs and will start working on resolving conflicts with TDs Thursday after the 11/20 deadline I gave to TDs to get them in for the Illinois schedule. We just do this online.

Michigan (where the OP is from) has probably one of the most crowded calendars around. I don't envy Mark's job.

ru4por 11-19-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupicka (Post 3521451)
Indiana collected requests via a Google form and had a meeting where the SC worked with the TDs who want to run events (happened last Sunday).

In Illinois, I'm busy collecting requests from TDs and will start working on resolving conflicts with TDs Thursday after the 11/20 deadline I gave to TDs to get them in for the Illinois schedule. We just do this online.

Michigan (where the OP is from) has probably one of the most crowded calendars around. I don't envy Mark's job.

Truth. Mark does a fantastic job!!

DiscGolfCraig 11-19-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3521365)
pretty much this... no state championship here either.

Is there a commonwealth championship?

biscoe 11-19-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig (Post 3521458)
Is there a commonwealth championship?

Negative oh clever one... ;)

Dcinmd 11-19-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3521365)
pretty much this... no state championship here either.

Is that because we have a state Frisbee tournament?

I can speak very highly of our State coordinator, I can't remember the last state event he was not involved in one capacity or another. And he even support putting leagues hour and half way. His endless energy and dedication to the sport is amazing.

I also know that a fair amount of coordination take place between, VA, DE, MD and PA on scheduling.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.