Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Ring around rim (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135448)

SoSunny 11-30-2019 01:42 AM

Ring around rim

1 Attachment(s)
I have noticed a bunch of different molds from innova have this rig / dip in the rim you can feel with finger its a bump other discs dont have it any info? thanks

lines 11-30-2019 08:54 AM

Discs are different.

Marmoset 11-30-2019 09:20 AM

It is an artifact from the injection molding process. This unintentional feature is commonly called “sinking” and occurs at thicker locations on the part’s geometry. Ideally, injection molded parts will have a uniform sickness across the entire part… But discs have a thicker section at the rim. This thicker section is where the sinking occurs. This artifact is caused by unequal cooling times due to the wall thickness variation.

Yup, I’m a nerd.

SoSunny 11-30-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmoset (Post 3525094)
It is an artifact from the injection molding process. This unintentional feature is commonly called ďsinkingĒ and occurs at thicker locations on the partís geometry. Ideally, injection molded parts will have a uniform sickness across the entire partÖ But discs have a thicker section at the rim. This thicker section is where the sinking occurs. This artifact is caused by unequal cooling times due to the wall thickness variation.

Yup, Iím a nerd.

Thanks does it effect the flight pattern? also have disc where the center of disc has bump on top as well

Putt for D'oh 11-30-2019 11:58 AM

Iím amazed Innova hasnít added a letter designator like C or something to the runs where itís more pronounced. And call it a feature instead of a flaw they just ignore.

Maybe itís just that I donít handle too many different molds but it seems some are more susceptible than others. Like it may have to do with the spacer?

jakebake91 11-30-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmoset (Post 3525094)
It is an artifact from the injection molding process. This unintentional feature is commonly called ďsinkingĒ and occurs at thicker locations on the partís geometry. Ideally, injection molded parts will have a uniform sickness across the entire partÖ But discs have a thicker section at the rim. This thicker section is where the sinking occurs. This artifact is caused by unequal cooling times due to the wall thickness variation.

Yup, Iím a nerd.

You just saved me from having to type pretty much exactly that!

jakebake91 11-30-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh (Post 3525125)
Iím amazed Innova hasnít added a letter designator like C or something to the runs where itís more pronounced. And call it a feature instead of a flaw they just ignore.

Maybe itís just that I donít handle too many different molds but it seems some are more susceptible than others. Like it may have to do with the spacer?

That works if you think Innova cares about quality or defects. They clearly don't.

Putt for D'oh 11-30-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3525129)
That works if you think Innova cares about quality or defects. They clearly don't.

Thatís kinda my point.
Oh damn these rims flare out way way past vertical. Oh thatís ok we will call it a ďplusĒ rim and sell it as a good thing.

Hey look someone effed up and put a leopard bottom on this run... oh we will call it an L version people will love it.

Wow our molds are getting old and all our discs are coming out overly domey we should fix that.
Nah we will make some new ones but keep using the old and the new we will call ď3Ē molds and change the flight numbers that way people will buy both.

SoSunny 11-30-2019 12:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a blue eagle im going to send bag bubble in middle of disc thunderbird has sinking plus nipple in middle. i got the yellow gummy eagle flat but has sinking should i send back?

wims 11-30-2019 12:38 PM

This is normal. I don't think you have a case for replacement as your disc looks perfectly fine